+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to Joondalup Private.

As Pregnor said, only the birth is covered with private health as private health funds wont cover outpatient services. You may have an excess for your hospital admission depending on your level of hospital cover (so check that). Unfortunately being private does mean you are out of pocket for obstetrician visits and ultrasounds but that's the choice you make. I liked the fact that my obstetrician had an ultrasound machine in the rooms so you get a short scan done every time to check bubs is ok. I found this very reassuring. You have to pay the obstetrician a planning & management fee after 20 weeks pregnancy and this is quite a large fee (around $2000 depending on your obstetrician). You will get a Medicare rebate on your visits and scans. You can cut down some costs by having some antenatal visits with with your GP (called shared care). It works well if you have a GP who is experienced in obstetrics care (try to find a GP who has FRANZCOG after their name - Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealnd College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to Joondalup Public for my first, and am going to Joondalup Private for this one. Don't really have any complaints as such about public. All very professional etc. Long wait times in the ante natal clinic. My biggest gripe was that none of the OB's picked up baby was breech (a trainee mentioned it to one of the OB's and was told no it's not breech) then I went for a routine scan to check baby size as I had GDM and they discovered it was breech. So this time I decided to go private to get the same OB and to have a thorough break down of what happened in my labour last time (I was quite sick afterwards). I like the fact that she is able to ultrasound in her room every time I go, and luckily so, as this baby is breech too. I feel more in control this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, this is my first pregnancy and I'm an older mum. 5 weeks today. Been trying for a long time so still hasn't sunk in that I'm pregnant!

Now the fun part of finding a good ob in Perth. I've been recommended Simon Turner, Helen Clarke and reading the posts, Melissa O'Neill seems good as well.

Who would people recommend?

I haven't rung around yet, but what are the management fees normally and are they paid up front?

Thanks...
    Julie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Which hospital are you looking at, I saw Dr Holmes at Murdoch, she was amazing. Her management fee was 1500 (2.5 years ago) to be paid in full at 20 weeks. Medicare only paid about 400 back

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is essential you book in ASAP or you won't get in anywhere. I booked before I had a referral, I was only 3 weeks and 6 days

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first at a public hospital north of river.. NEVER again will I go there!!
    My second was private at Glengarry Private Hospital. Great facilities, great midwives, amazing food. Very homely feeling as it's a small hospital, but still had level two nursery. I want booted out the door, they even asked if I wanted to stay longer :-)
    I was under the care of a gp/ob who was marvelous. David van der Moezel. That meant much lower fees, each visit was $60 or $70 before medicare, and the management fee was about $300. This was 2 years ago.
    I tried to get him this time round, but he doesn't deliver twins unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Female on in perth

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I rang around this morning and managed to get in with Anna Holmes at Murdoch, mgmt fees all seem the same though - hers are $2950!
    I'm her last patient for the period I'm due which in beginning of December.

Starting to feel very nervous with all the scans and tests that need to be done...

Thanks
    Julie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, that has gone up a lot! she is very popular and not caesarian happy as a lot of them seem to be, though I did end up induced as my Dd wasn't growing. The hospital and midwives were all fantastic, as was the paeds we saw post birth.

Good luck with all the tests, im sure they will be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm actually finding all the scans reassuring, one of the benefits of being a private patient means I get a scan every visit (measuring growth, fluid, placenta etc etc). But I can see how some people may find this intrusive.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dr Melissa O'Neil :)

I can't recommend Dr O'Neil highly enough. I had my DD, Addison on the 11/8/2013, she was induced due to my gestational hypertension which began at 30 weeks. My initial appointment was surprisingly on time! Initially I met with Jennifer the midwife who did the usual medical history question before I met Melissa. She was lovely, vey calm, willing to answer questions and listen to what we were hoping for. For the first 30 weeks my pregnancy was a dream, the last 8weeks were a challenge particularly, the last 4 were I had many of the signs of pre eclampsia which required close monitoring. Melissa discussed the possibilities and my options, weighing the risks and benefits of waiting just a bit longer. When deciding on the induction, Melissa was happy for me to go in on the Friday night, rather than waiting to the Monday morning. She checked on my progress in person on the Saturday and despite some complications where it would have been easier to insist on a C-section, she managed to deliver DD, who was posterior, with some vacuum assistance. For me, a 37 year old career oriented mum, I liked that; their were two midwives at the rooms so you could choose appointments with the one that worked for you, that appointments ran on time, and finally that I got what I wanted - a healthy baby with the least trauma possible for me! The follow up care was also great from Dr O'Neil whilst I was at SJOG. I hope my story helps.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nicole76 For This Useful Post:

ataline  (16-09-2013),Jazzz99  (27-06-2014)