+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Dentist

My filling just fell out! I only have three weeks to go. Does anyone know if getting another filling is safe for Bub?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had fillings when preg, and the dentist said the anaesthetic is safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only thing that they cant to Is X-rays.
    If your dentist has past records of your X-rays he can use them.
    But things like root canals they won't as they would need new ones.
    My dentist took my tooth out and said to come back for some fillings.
    Perfectly harmless

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes they will. For preggy women they use a different anesthetic which has no adrenalin in it. They all use it so it will be available. It's used for patients with heart problems etc. i can give u the name of it if u want.

They WILL do a root canal as its extremely important to keep teeth and whilst X-rays aren't ideal they aren't life threatening to u or baby. U get the same amount of radiation from one dental X-ray as u do flying in a plane. They usually need to take a X-ray for extractions aswell.

Going to the dentist is not an issue whilst pregnant at all. The major reason they don't like it is for your comfort as u have to lay back on your back which isn't ideal as we all know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by becclesm View Post
    I had the first section of root canal therapy done when I was 25 weeks pregnant. I have to go back and have it finished once bub is born cause they need to do X-rays. But for a filling there should be no worries, just the lying on your back thing but hopefully they'll have a way around that. Good luck
    I'm sorry but to me that doesn't sound right. I am from a dental background and have worked for many dental clinics. The antibiotic material that they place into the root canals does two jobs. 1 clears up any infection that may not have been cleaned out and 2. The material stops working as an antibiotic within 2-3weeks allowing the dentist to know if the tooth will settle properly ones filled (as if it won't then it will flare up again) You really should have the next stage of RCT done as its not good at all to leave a tooth going through endo for more then the 3 weeks max. It can build up bacteria again and you could get another infection which is dangerous (can poison ur blood ******) some dentists will finish the endo treatment on the 2nd round others the third. Also depending on if it's an anterior or posterior tooth. It concerns me greatly that you are going to wait 15+ weeks for your next RCT. Honestly they will have to start your whole treatment over by then costing you more. Sorry if it's not what u want to hear but I am gobsmacked. I have seen women get X-rays while pregnant. Definitely not ideal but it does happen and it's honestly not as bad as u think.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1CrazyMoose For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyway op go to the dentist. They will decide what they want to do. All the best,

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am a dental assistant at he moment and have been for a few years.
    If its just a filling that has fallen out there's a good chance if you visit your dentist as soon as you can there will be little or no decay which means very minimal drilling and basically just new filling material put in there. If there's no drilling then no anesthesia needed, especially of its only a small filling to begin with. There are anesthesias available for pregnant women if needed but in a worst case scenario they should be able to use a temporary material to get you through until after your bubby is born and then do a proper filling then.
    As for if you needed a Root Canal done, unless it was a deep filling to begin with and it's decayed or it's taken tooth with it you should be fairly fine and not need one. You only need root canal of the nerve is exposed or if theres decay into the nerve and even then there's extirpation which is a antibiotic that they put in the tooth temporarily until you can have a proper root canal done later either for affordability reasons or lack of time in the appt. It will get you out of pain for a time, but not indefinitely. I've seen them last weeks, months some (rare mind you) years but eventually it hurts again. A root canal can be done in 2 or 3 stages, my dentist does it in two stages a month apart.
    But seriously don't over complicate it the majority of people I see who have fillings that have fallen out or even a broken tooth are a quick composite filling that takes us all of 10-15 minutes to do an only really needs anesthetic if our in pain already or theres a lot of decay. Don't stress it, book an appt with your dentist and they will know what to do and be able to help. Hope this helps a little, any other questions feel free to ask, if I don't know the answer I can find out at work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to katrea For This Useful Post:

Caviar  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to crash the thread, but what about a crown?

Thanks
    Reviews
    While pregnant, I think they would probably rather wait as most times of a tooth has lasted a while it can be temporarily filled and last a few months until a most suitable time for a crown.
    Often root filled teeth don't need to be numbed for a crown and it's normally done in two appointments, one for the prep where there's a lot of drilling and impressions and then a temporary crown put on and then a fortnight last roughy you go back and get a lab made crown cemented on properly.
    We will take an X-ray before we start a crown if he tooth has abscessed in he last 12 months an had root canal just to be certain that the abses has healed properly because one a crown is put on there a complete pain to remove. My dentist normally waits 6-12 months after a root filling before he does the crown to be certain it's healed so there is the options of temp fillings until after bub is born to tide it over, your dentist may be happy to do it, I'm not sure.
    I'm fairly certain the best time I have dental treatment in pregnancy is the second trimester as the first and third are more risky, but any dentist I have worked with would rather do as little as possible to tide it over and have the work done after.

Also while pregnant you can get bad dry mouth at time which can make your teeth weaker so good brushing is a must and you can buy a product called tooth mouse which is a calcifying agent that helps prevent dry mouth and is fantastic for your teeth, most dentist sell it in a variety of flavors and it lasts for months and is safe to use for mum and can even be rubbed on bubs teeth once they come through as extra preventative measures for the future.

How this helps.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to katrea For This Useful Post:

bonno  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went for a clean, and a few fillings when I was pregnant with DS1. Because I'm such a big wuss, I had to get the needle to numb my gums for the cleaning, too
    My sister is a dental nurse and assisted while I was having it done, and she assured me it was all fine.
    DS1 went absolutely crazy in my belly though! My sister and the dentist kept stopping to watch him moving. I think it was because of the noise...