+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys, just thought you might appreciate my input (as a sonographer). The intensity of the ultrasound setting used 'to have a listen' to the heartbeat is one of the most powerful we can use when we are scanning. There is debate as to whether it does harm when bub is very small and the heart still developing. A lot of sonographers now won't take that chance and use another setting instead to measure the heartbeat. When I am scanning I would rather err on the side of caution for the sake of your baby and only use that setting after 12 weeks when the heart has developed. Without going into the physics of it (which we study for years to understand), sometimes you have to trust that the sonographer is doing things in your best interest and that of your baby. It is NICE to have a listen but not medically necessary and I explain the reason behind doing it to the people I scan and they are absolutely fine with it once they understand why we don't do it. Most sonographers would not do what they do just to be mean, like I said, trust that we are keeping up with the latest research and studies and doing things in the best interest of your baby. You may not understand a lot of what we do but we do it for a reason!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonogLoz For This Useful Post:

Artful  (23-01-2012),~Marigold~  (23-01-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SonogLoz View Post
    Hi guys, just thought you might appreciate my input (as a sonographer). The intensity of the ultrasound setting used 'to have a listen' to the heartbeat is one of the most powerful we can use when we are scanning. There is debate as to whether it does harm when bub is very small and the heart still developing. A lot of sonographers now won't take that chance and use another setting instead to measure the heartbeat. When I am scanning I would rather err on the side of caution for the sake of your baby and only use that setting after 12 weeks when the heart has developed. Without going into the physics of it (which we study for years to understand), sometimes you have to trust that the sonographer is doing things in your best interest and that of your baby. It is NICE to have a listen but not medically necessary and I explain the reason behind doing it to the people I scan and they are absolutely fine with it once they understand why we don't do it. Most sonographers would not do what they do just to be mean, like I said, trust that we are keeping up with the latest research and studies and doing things in the best interest of your baby. You may not understand a lot of what we do but we do it for a reason!!
    Of course, I totally understand that there would obviously be a valid reason behind not doing it during ultrasounds anymore; my question was just how common it was nowadays as I'd never heard of it before and was just expecting to be able to hear at my scan as I had done with my 1st baby. Even in all of the books I've read and everyone that I've spoken to, no one had been told about this and I ws surprised at finding out about the whole danger to the developing heart aspect; I had no idea. I absolutely had no problems when I was told that we couldn't listen to it, being told "no" left me with the understanding that there was obviously a very serious and valid reason for it. The two sonographers that conducted my scan were lovely, I totally respect and understand that they know a hell of a lot more about the technicalities than I do! Like I said, my question was more to do with how common and well known this actually was amongst women.
    I was not having a whinge about the sonographers not "allowing" me, they did their job fantastically!
    Thanks for your info, very interesting to know!
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 23-01-2012 at 13:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sonogloz, thanks for that info. I was wondering the same thing as op.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jenga For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard the heartbeat at my 20 week scan. I'm also going through the Mercy, but at Heidelberg. So weird that Mercy Werribee would have a different policy to Mercy Heidelberg. My scan was 5 weeks ago and it was done at the Hospital too.I also heard the heartbeat at my 12 week scan, but that was at a private u/s place.Freaking out a bit now, hope bubs is ok. I did hear the heartbeat at every scan with dd, and we had extra scans 5 or 6 in total, most of them in the final weeks, due to her heartrate often dropping into the 70s when they put the doppler on her, or when I was put on the machine for them to check her trace. Now I'm worried those scans harmed dd's heart permanently.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a dating scan at 7 weeks and could see bubs heart flickering away but could not hear it (probably for the reasons stated above). We did get to hear it at the 12 week and 20 week scans though

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FutureMa For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by preggasaurus View Post
    I heard the heartbeat at my 20 week scan. I'm also going through the Mercy, but at Heidelberg. So weird that Mercy Werribee would have a different policy to Mercy Heidelberg. My scan was 5 weeks ago and it was done at the Hospital too.I also heard the heartbeat at my 12 week scan, but that was at a private u/s place.Freaking out a bit now, hope bubs is ok. I did hear the heartbeat at every scan with dd, and we had extra scans 5 or 6 in total, most of them in the final weeks, due to her heartrate often dropping into the 70s when they put the doppler on her, or when I was put on the machine for them to check her trace. Now I'm worried those scans harmed dd's heart permanently.
    Try not to worry, seriously, they would have done this for literally millions of women world wide, I can't imagine all these little babies with heart damage. It's a great precaution they are taking; I guess it's like having to stand behind a special screen when someone is being X-rayed; it wont kill you if you have the radiation, but they prefer it only when absolutely required. I'm positive it didn't damage you bubs's heart
    Yeah, I had my 1st at The Mercy when it was in East Melbourne, that's where I first heard the heartbeat. But that was at 20 weeks.
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 23-01-2012 at 09:52.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

SonogLoz  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SonogLoz View Post
    Can I ask a question sonogloz? Is the intensity from a Doppler to hear the heartbeat the same as when having an actual ultrasound? Could using a Doppler potentially do damage to the developing heart?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ultrasound, more harm than good? Is a good article IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry bub hit send lol, there are a lot of other non invasive (and cheaper) ways to hear bubs heartbeat.

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If using a Doppler does increase the risk of damaging a developing heart, why do some places still allow it? Scary. You can even buy a Doppler to use at home from Ebay! If I hadn't known the dangers (and it's clear many don't) and had a Doppler at home, I know I'd be using it to listen every day! Can you imagine?