+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    But a Doppler uses "ultrasound" waves to enable us to hear a heartbeat. My OB has used one on me every time I've seen him since babies HB could be detected.

I'm not sure if he would do this if it was dangerous? But why would your technician say that it is...

I'm going to ask at my next appt. coz now I'm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to louhopeful For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louhopeful View Post
    But a Doppler uses "ultrasound" waves to enable us to hear a heartbeat. My OB has used one on me every time I've seen him since babies HB could be detected.

I'm not sure if he would do this if it was dangerous? But why would your technician say that it is...

I'm going to ask at my next appt. coz now I'm
    I only ever heard the heartbeat through a doppler, not through the actual ultrasound, maybe it is more powerful combined with the ultrasound?
    I'm not sure!!?

I can't imagine your OB would do something dangerous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I heard it at all my ultrasounds

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess1889 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sonographer said the same thing at both our 12 and 19 week scan. They said it was unnecessary because they could see the HB. I'm now 20+3 and have heard bubs HB once Luckily DH is a paramedic so I steal his stethoscope and spend forever listening to bub moving and sometimes a HB.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GrownupsCallMeK For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard it at all my ultra sounds as well.... I get a quick ultra sound at my OBs clinic every time I go there. He shows me bub an let's us have a listen of the heart beat.

But if you can see the heart beating on the ultra sound machine then the scanner would be scanning the heart so what's the difference if they turn the volume on? Strange.
    Thanks for posting this Will have to ask my OB in a few weeks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Strange. I just assumed I was behind in the technology as it's been years between having my 1st & 2nd baby. But based on everyone's responses, it doesn't seem to be well known about the ultrasound being a danger and the babies heart etc. Why would some still do it if there was a risk factor? For a maternity hospital to ban it, there's got to be a valid reason. I actually asked if we could have a listen and it was a flat out "no". I've heard of doctors using a cone thing (vague discription, lol) but it's basically like a funnel and a cord (not a stethoscope as such) that they just put on your tummy and you can listen at the other end. I might attempt to make one at home, haha.. sounds simple enough
    Last edited by ~Marigold~; 22-01-2012 at 22:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Strange. I just assumed I was behind in the technology as it's been years between having my 1st & 2nd baby. But based on everyone's responses, it doesn't seem to be well known about the ultrasound being a danger and the babies heart etc. Why would some still do it if there was a risk factor? For a maternity hospital to ban it, there's got to be a valid reason. I actually asked if we could have a listen and it was a flat out "no". I've heard of doctors using a cone thing (vague discription, lol) but it's basically like a funnel and a cord (not a stethoscope as such) that they just put on your tummy and you can listen at the other end. I might attempt to make one at home, haha.. sounds simple enough
    My OB said not to buy a Doppler because it can be bad for the baby to use it every day all the time... Maybe thats the same sort of thing? Any way will ask my OB as I'm interested now haha.
    Awesome idea bout making the cone thingy! Let us know if it work!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Winterbubs1012 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My technician said the same thing when we had a 10 week scan. I didn't mind, we could clearly see the heartbeat, she said it causes stress to the baby as it's different to just using the u/s, sends different waves. I'm not sure on the technical details... We were just happy to see baby

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shortiii For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the frst scan and the NT scan I didn't get to hear it but I have a doppler at home anyway so when I finally picked up the HB at 12 weeks and 2 days it was magical

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told the same thing when i went for my early scans & was really disappointed. I finally got to hear the hb at my 18 week gender scan but it must be a new thing cause i got to hear it everytime with DD1 & 2. Dosen't make sense to me