+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would not date or sleep with anyone who had been convicted of a crime.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post
    Would it change anyone's mind if they went to jail for a "white collar crime", I wonder?
    A long term trusted employee at my work was recently caught stealing, and we are disgusted. It's almost worse as she is educated, middle class and should have known better.

How could you trust somebody in a relationship capable of fraud?
    Last edited by MsMummy; 22-01-2012 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've worked with quite a few women and men who have had short and long term jail offences. I think it would depend on levels of rehabilitation, remorse and their own sense of guilt and loathing as some don't forgive themselves for their offences and it really screws them over. My sister dated a guy for 3 years who was in and out of prison. He was gorgeous, charming, cheeky and hugely romantic but chaotic and had low self esteem. I could see what she saw in him but it didn't last. I also have a foster brother (hate the term) who has been in jail and he is hugely protective, romantic, charming and funny but he is a hurt man and will probably return to jail at some point due to his lack of self worth. He is now with a good woman and I hope she can contain him. I think he deserves to be with someone who adores him but my gut feeling, now that I have children, is no I wouldnt date someone who has been to jail.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is an interesting one for us, as a family member has been with someon for the last few years who has been in jail. He told her about it fairly early, I guess as she would have heard through gossip anyway... It was for assault, and the story he told her seems like it was heavily provoked. But what worries me is as PPs have said - it takes a fair bit to get sent to jail. So how badly did he bash the other guy? And how can you trust someon that can lose it like tht?
    Te other thing to remember is you won't always know when someone has been in jail - I think my father has taken in a number of women by not telling them about his jail time. And even if he did they might not think it was so bad. But I would have told them run and take your kids with you! there are certain things for which you can't be rehabilitated IMO.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have. He had been in jail twice for pretty much the same offence. Nothing violent, no murder or rape.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

mysticme  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes if it was a while ago and they appeared to have turned their life around. Everyone makes mistakes and I believe people can change. Lots of people I know have been to jail and they themselves are probably not people I would choose to be with (especially since having kids), but they are not bad people. Most are from really troubled backgrounds and have made stupid decisions as teenagers- break and enter, assault (as in getting in a fight), stealing cars, vandalising property etc. I mean these are serious crimes, but a lot of boys I knew growing up did them and went to jail for it. 15-20 years down the track I'm sure a lot of them have grown up (hopefully anyway!).

Or they could've gone to jail for not co-operating with police, which I don't think is always such a big 'crime'...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

mysticme  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Let me set the scene.....
    A fight, out the front of a night club....a man is beating another guy to a pulp. His girlfriend is screaming at the basher to stop....so he turns and starts coming after her. A guy steps in (trying to do the honerable thing) and gives the guy a right hook to stop him from hurting the woman. The guy falls, hits his head on the ground as he lands and dies a few days later in hosptial.
    Protector of woman is charged with Manslaughter due to Grievous Bodily Harm....gets found guilty because yep, he hit the guy, then has to spend the next 3 years in jail......
    Are you all saying that you would not give a guy like that a second chance! or even a first. He has to stay single for the rest of his life, all because he tried to protect a woman from a crazed guy looking for a fight?

I would like to think that people are not as shallow as that!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticme For This Useful Post:

Bellie  (23-01-2012),jaidynsmylilman  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep I must be shallow. I would not be with someone capable of ending a life so easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it was Jax Teller...hell yes! Anyone else, nope I couldn't do it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

Gruffalo  (10-02-2012),LotusMum  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticme View Post
    Let me set the scene.....
    A fight, out the front of a night club....a man is beating another guy to a pulp. His girlfriend is screaming at the basher to stop....so he turns and starts coming after her. A guy steps in (trying to do the honerable thing) and gives the guy a right hook to stop him from hurting the woman. The guy falls, hits his head on the ground as he lands and dies a few days later in hosptial.
    Protector of woman is charged with Manslaughter due to Grievous Bodily Harm....gets found guilty because yep, he hit the guy, then has to spend the next 3 years in jail......
    Are you all saying that you would not give a guy like that a second chance! or even a first. He has to stay single for the rest of his life, all because he tried to protect a woman from a crazed guy looking for a fight?

I would like to think that people are not as shallow as that!
    I'm not a lawyer but I've had lots of contact with the legal system (not me personally lol but thru work) and ime those sorts of cases they don't go to jail. They get a suspended sentence bc they take into account he was trying to protect her, the person that died provocated it etc etc.

Something like that, I probably would overlook. But let's be honest, how many people in jail have actually been sent for this sort of situation?a tiny percentage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast