+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Lightweight & small travel cot??

I'm looking for a small (but not tiny) lightweight travel cot to put our dd in so she can sleep in our room for another couple of months. We have VERY limited space in our bedroom & can just fit a bassinet. BUT, now she's rolling (both ways) and very active - too active to stay in the bassinet. She's also getting a bit long for the bassinet. We have a standard portacot, but it's quite big and wouldn't fit in our room. So, I'm looking for something that is bigger than a standard bassinet, but smaller than a 'normal' portacot. Preferably something that is small & lightweight so we can use it later for when we go on holidays.

I know there are quite a few options out there, but I'm not sure what they are like for active bubbas - do they tip over if bubs pushes on the sides? My dd is only 3.5 months old, but she's super strong & it's thoroughly possible she'll be pulling herself to standing in a month or two. Does that make using these travel cots hazardous? I want to be confident that I don't need to be in the same room as the travel cot at all times to supervise it (although I'd likely have the video monitor on).

Options include:
    Phil & Teds' Nest
    Phil & Ted's Traveller Cot
    Baby Bjorn Travel Cot (seems VERY expensive)
    Kinderkot (?is it ok for little ones)

I just want something to last her 6 - 8 weeks til the worst of summer is over, to save us having to put an aircon in her bedroom, then she'll move into a cot in her room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing. In a similar position. I'm SO not ready for DS to go into his own room but putting the cot in our room means disassembling it and we'd really rather not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not sure A kinderkot would work for your little one without serious modification. Mine is a few years old but the sleeping bag is only secured with velcro top and bottom. You would need to add velcro all around the edge to make it safe and to ensure they don't become trapped. If they are rolling a lot there is a possibility they could roll against the side?. IT would be ok for travelling but I would not use it every night.

I don't think the nest would be stable enough? if they roll with enough force it may fall over? I could be wrong though

I would go either the phil and teds or baby bjorn. I have not tried/seen them though.

The stokke sleepi cot, which is very expensive, does have options in between a cot and bassinet I think.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok, I found what would work and it's the Bloom Alma cot. Ridiculously expensive at $599, but it is only 50cm wide & about 90cm long. It's as wide as my current bassinet, but much longer. Only meant to last til a child is 2. Can't remotely afford one though, so it looks like dd will need to go into her own room after all.

The phil & teds traveller is smaller than the baby bjorn, but it's feet stick out, so putting it against a wall means the side of the cot is 68cm away from a wall (approx). We only have 95cm between the foot of our bed & the wall, so it's extremely tight. It's also quite narrow up the top & I think I'd struggle to use it day to day, especially leaning over to put a sleeping baby in there, or settle her when she's half asleep.

We considered moving our chest of drawers out & putting our 'normal' portacot in & it won't fit even with the drawers out.

Time for some serious attempts at moving things around in our room & then probably accepting that it's time for our dd to move into her own room

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have the PHil & Ted's Traveller Cot and LOVE IT! Has fit in every hotel room we have ever stayed in (plus fits in the spare room at Mum's). Love the fact that it folds up so compactly - My Sis tries to take her portacot to the coast and winges that it takes up half the boot - whereas ours we almost fitted in our suitcase when we flew to Newcastle for holidays! Would def recommend!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My girlfriend has a kinderkot, I used it once and found DS was really hot and sweaty after his nap, because it's a bit like a tent the air circulation isn't as good as a normal porta cot I think. So not sure if it would be the best option. For the cost of a kinderkot or similiar you could get a small portable aircon for her room??

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do have a portable aircon that we can use in her room, but I just didn't want to have to run it unless it was 100% needed. I've stretched her out for as long as possible in the bassinet in our room, but it's almost time for her to go into her room. I think she'll move into her room & her own cot in about 10 days time (we should be able to get it organised by then). By then there shouldn't be too many hot days and we'll just use the aircon if needed or put her in my ds's room in a portacot if need be.