+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    not that i know of i am trying to find as much info as i can on SPD and premature births (to put my mind at ease basically).. one page i read said something about because SPD is from the little bit of bone at the front of the pelvis seperating it can cause the baby to engage earlier than expected etc and i know that doesn't mean 'premature birth' but i just want to get as much info as possible to put my mind at ease

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troopingfairy View Post
    not that i know of i am trying to find as much info as i can on SPD and premature births (to put my mind at ease basically).. one page i read said something about because SPD is from the little bit of bone at the front of the pelvis seperating it can cause the baby to engage earlier than expected etc and i know that doesn't mean 'premature birth' but i just want to get as much info as possible to put my mind at ease
    Yep, both of mine engaged very early. I kept being told I was in labour for two weeks before they induced me with DD1, I went to hospital 3 times and they monitored my contractions, said I was in labour etc but it would always stop and I ended up being so overdue! I had braxton hicks and DD2 was engaged a lot earlier than DD1. When I say braxton hicks, they were timed contractions that felt like the real thing, the same amount of pain as contractions when I was 3cm dilated with DD1. Nothing ever happened though. If I rested it would all stop and go away, so usually about 2am every night I would start to have relief from the braxton hicks.

So maybe the baby being engaged does put pressure on your uterus. I would think you would have to have another reason to have gone into premature labour though. It might be that you have something else that, combined with psd, made you go into labour early? Maybe ask your midwife why she thinks that psd causes premature labour and ask her to print out her information source for you. It might be that it is just her opinion, but if it isn't and she as information, it would pay to ask about it so that you can feel more informed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stop sweeping, mopping or vacuuming.
    Dont try to set over things, Avoid going up and down stairs take the lift.
    If you want to exercise - go swimming - but not breast stroke kick - only freestyle.
    Sit on a fit ball ( i love my fit ball)

I was given a list of things i wasnt allowed to do but im not sure where i put it. Those are what i remember.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bank For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (22-01-2012),troopingfairy  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had bad SPD in both pregnancies and my dd (pregnancy #2) refused to engage til a day AFTER I had gel for induction at 39+2! Yep, she was stubborn. It's not that unusual for bubs #2 & onwards not to engage til you're in labour and that was the reality here.

You should NOT be driving AT ALL if you have to use your hand to lift your leg from the brake to the accelerator. It doesn't mean driving is over this pregnancy, but it MUST be stopped until you are able to move your leg more readily - which might be after a few days rest.

I agree with the others. Go & see a physio and get fitted for a pelvic brace. It really helps, but it doesn't make the pain go away completely.

If it's already so bad that you're unable to drive, then I seriously doubt you'll get through another 7 weeks of work. I stopped work at 31 weeks, but by then I was a mess. I couldn't manage to get out of chairs without arms (and even chairs with arms were hard), I was walking about 3 times slower than usual (which made the walk to & from my car extremely long) and I was in constant pain. I couldn't walk up/down stairs from 20 weeks in either pregnancy (the pain often occurred 12 - 24 hours AFTER I walked on stairs btw) and ditto for sloped ground (eg. walking on hills).

I did Pilates during pregnancy #2 and it kept me more active for longer, but by 34 weeks I couldn't even manage Pilates - the physio said it was time for me to rest. Pregnancy #2 in the end was a heap better than #1 in terms of SPD, but I worked hard with the Physio to make it that way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone for all this useful info and advice.

DH keeps telling me to stop doing things too, so I guess I should really slow down now or it sounds like I'll be sorry later. Bugger, I'll have to tell him he was right haha

Looking forward to my OB appt and hopefully she will recommend a brace/belt and perhaps some physio or hydrotherapy or something.

I feel for all of you who have experienced severe SPD, it sounds awful . Early days I think for me so will see what happens. Am a bit scared though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get it till 30weeks in my first pregnancy but this time around It started around 12 weeks. I'm 34 weeks along and I am counting down the days of pain I have left!

It's honestly making me never want to have more kids. Spending every day and night in pain is just getting me down!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    some people think i am strange, but i honestly dont see myself carrying until full term anyway.. just a feeling i have.

i hope to make it to 36 weeks if i can though - and if i do go over i will be elated (but am sure by that stage if SPD is still worsening, i'll be begging for bub to come out!)

not so painful waking up this morning so must have gotten enough rest between doing things yesterday which is a relief as every other day for the past week i've barely been able to sit up in bed after waking up