+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How much activity is wise with SPD?

Hello all

I suspect I may be experiencing the beginnings of SPD or PI. It started a couple of weeks ago with mild pain on the right side only of my pubic/pelvic area, and I am now finding it a bit difficult to lift my right leg and need to be very careful getting dressed, getting out of bed etc. Especially painful is turning over in bed at night.

My next ob appointment is another 9 days away but I plan to ask her about it then. I have 13 wks of pregnancy left, and seven weeks of work (still working full-time currently) and I'm getting really worried that the condition will worsen as time goes on. Work is ok but I am finding that driving there and back each day the hardest part and am having to use my arm to lift my leg between the brake and accelerator!

Anyway... my question is: how much physical activity should I be doing in the case that the pain is caused by SPD? Should I still be walking the dog for instance? I have just swept the floors and while the pain wasn't too bad - just a few twinges if I moved the wrong way - I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to be using the muscles in that area at all or not? Is it better to rest the muscles or to use them so as not to lose muscle tone in the area altogether?

Any advice greatly appreciated! TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to do as little as possible as the morning i would be fine but by the afternoon i was in tears from the pain. I found going to physio and the chiro to help a little. In the end i stopped work at 30 weeks working in childcare was so not good for it due to sitting on the floor and little chairs all day

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kirstyandmick For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (22-01-2012),Eamonsmum  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    same there.. was working in childcare until 2 weeks ago (stopped at 21 weeks due to SPD pain) - My GP asked me to stop work immediately for rest.

saw my midwife last week who diagnosed it as SPD and have since booked into the hospital for my first physio session for 2 weeks time.

my midwife said they will give me a belly belt which will help take the pressure off my pelvis and although physio wont cure it, it will help guide the pelvis back into a better position and ease some of the pain.

be careful though, as i get up and clean the kitchen and do the floors and although there is only minimal pain there at the time.. a few hrs later i am in agony - the pain does catch up with you, even if you do only feel slight twinges when using those muscles!

if you feel it the pain coming, no matter how mild, avoid the activity - it will save you much aggrivation and pain later in the day!

my midwife said she knows hundreds of women who end up in wheelchairs by 30 weeks it's too painful!

rest as much as you can and work on a birth plan with your midwife (if you can?) - to help avoid positions which will aggrivate and hurt your pelvis more in the long term.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to troopingfairy For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get fitted for a belt and then do as little as possible.

I ended up causing permanent damage walking home and slipping over.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone

That's no good blissedout , I hope it's not still causing too much pain. I did have a slip two nights ago getting into the shower of all things. I stepped one foot in and it slipped on the wet shower floor. My pubic/pelvic muscles immediately tightened to stop the leg slipping out any further and BAM! - pain city Since then it has been much worse and I'm so annoyed .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by annablam View Post
    Thanks everyone

That's no good blissedout , I hope it's not still causing too much pain. I did have a slip two nights ago getting into the shower of all things. I stepped one foot in and it slipped on the wet shower floor. My pubic/pelvic muscles immediately tightened to stop the leg slipping out any further and BAM! - pain city Since then it has been much worse and I'm so annoyed .
    I do get pain there when exercising still.

It doesn't take much to hurt does it?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Eamonsmum  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've hit 20 weeks this week and the SPD which has been tolerable up to now has gone into overdrive, the support belt is not helping anymore and a good nights sleep is becoming impossible with a pain that feels like someone has spent a good few hours kicking me between my legs!

I have found that a heat pack helps, as do warm baths with radox, doing some belly exercises that the physio has given me and also wearing a support stocking which holds the belly muscles together. It's like a long tube that you wear from your bra line to your bum. Everything just feels more supported when I'm wearing that, and it is a lot easier to wear under clothing than the big bulky belt.

As for exercise I am doing as little as possible, raising my legs is too painful, and walking is only good in short amounts and as long as I have the pram for support. Pushing anything heavier than the pram is not good.

Main things is keeping your hips level, your knees together when rolling or getting up, or out of vehicles and trying not to stretch that area at all. My physio has told me gentle workouts in the pool are fine, but nothing else. I'm really not looking forward to the next 18 weeks if things are feeling as bad as they are now

I hope your OB sends you to a physio so they can help answer any specific questions you have and give you some tailor made exercises to do. Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As little as possible but not strict bed rest. So you really shouldn't be walking the dog. Maybe very slow walking alone if you want to walk. Nothing that makes you use one leg over the other. Be really careful getting in and out of cars, and even bed.

tbh... if you are using your arm to lift your leg while driving (or it feels painful enough that it is hard to press the pedals) you should NOT be driving anymore.
    I get this with my pregnancies and couldn't drive from about 30 weeks on I think with my last two. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant with this one and it is just starting to be more difficult when driving. You might be able to drive with no incidences in calm traffic, but would your pelvis be able to cope if you had to brake violently and suddenly?

I did a lot of lifting and doing things in my 2nd pregnancy even though I was in intense pain I would have to do things like lift my toddler out of her cot. My pain never fully went away after my 2nd pregnancy, but it did after my 1st where I did nothing as much as possible. I am trying to do as little as possible with this baby, but it is very hard with two kids.

If it gets much worse, you might need to take maternity leave from work earlier. Especially if you have no other way to get there than to drive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    just curious.. and scared!!

DD was 7 weeks premature (reasons unknown) and with the weight i have put on with this bub (i was underweight to start with so midwife is not too worried about the weight gain in that perspective), the groin pain that i have and how i think about calling the ambulance at times when i can not walk - it feels like either someone has attacked my vejayjay and kicked it numerous times.. or that my babies head is hanging out (sorry ITM!)... my midwife is worried I may go early again...

can SPD really make me go early again???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by troopingfairy View Post
    can SPD really make me go early again???
    I haven't heard of SPD making a difference. I had psd at the bad end of the scale, and DD1 was induced 10 days late. DD2 was an elective c-section on time.

That doesn't mean it can't make it happen. Sorry I'm not much help, I've just never heard of it causing premature labour. Maybe someone else knows and can help you though?

as a side though... with you being so early and feeling like your babies head is falling out. You don't have prolapsed vaginal problems do you? Because I know that can put you at a higher risk.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

troopingfairy  (22-01-2012)