+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Government financial support for mature age students (degree)?

    Does anyone know what (if any) financial support is available towards the costs of studying?

    It will be a while before I am able to, but I am just trying to work a few things out.


  2. #2
    Ana Gram's Avatar
    Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It really depends on your situation I believe. You may be eligible for Austudy, but it isn't very much. You may also be able to use either HECS or FEE-HELP for your degree. But some areas require you to pay upfront.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

    OurLittleBlessing  (23-01-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Try applying for the Royal College of Nursing Australia scholarships - they're $10,000 a year and are federally funded. You can also apply for them when you apply for your degree, so you could get funding for all 3 years. (Oops just realised that I'm assuming your studying nursing/midwifery).

    Alternatively look at any scholarships that your uni offers, but they're mainly for second year onwards.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcake91 For This Useful Post:

    OurLittleBlessing  (23-01-2012)

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm with Ana - it depends on your circumstances.

    I think if you're a single parent and you're still on PPS (rather than having kids too old, so you're on Newstart or whatever instead), you can get a little extra if you study full time. I looked into this a few years ago, but Centrelink website tells me it's only about $60 extra a fortnight these days. Pensioner Education Supplement that's called.

    Otherwise you could apply for Austudy, but it's not all that much even at it's max rate.

    Some colleges do Diploma courses using FEE-HELP and so does Open Uni Aust. You have to check to see if it's eligible though - and while you might find that at ONE college will let you pay via FEE-HELP (which is basically the same as HECS - you don't pay upfront, but pay once you earn over a certain amount a year), the same course at another college won't... so it pays to shop around. I've found though, the they generally cost more for the FEE-HELP courses... so overall you're paying more, but if you can't afford to study without it, then it's probably a good idea (the course I'm starting in a few weeks could be approx $10000 upfront at TAFE... but going to a college, it's about $14000 with FEE-HELP... so $4000 more, but I don't have to pay it right away... so I'm okay with that extra cost).

    Otherwise Uni will generally offer HECS help.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

    OurLittleBlessing  (23-01-2012)


Similar Threads

  1. HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS..... how do you support Prac students????
    By OJandMe in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-05-2012, 23:23
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-05-2012, 06:36
  3. mature aged students - help required for midwifry options
    By pisces00 in forum Hubbers who are studying
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-03-2012, 11:47

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

learn how you can become a reviewer!


forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Sarah Tooke Childbirth & Parenting Education
Providing private, personalised antenatal childbirth & parenting education to expectant parents in the comfort of their own home. Sessions are flexible, including everything that hospital based programs cover. Click to find out more!

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!