+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Government financial support for mature age students (degree)?

Does anyone know what (if any) financial support is available towards the costs of studying?

It will be a while before I am able to, but I am just trying to work a few things out.

TIA

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It really depends on your situation I believe. You may be eligible for Austudy, but it isn't very much. You may also be able to use either HECS or FEE-HELP for your degree. But some areas require you to pay upfront.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try applying for the Royal College of Nursing Australia scholarships - they're $10,000 a year and are federally funded. You can also apply for them when you apply for your degree, so you could get funding for all 3 years. (Oops just realised that I'm assuming your studying nursing/midwifery).

Alternatively look at any scholarships that your uni offers, but they're mainly for second year onwards.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcake91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm with Ana - it depends on your circumstances.

I think if you're a single parent and you're still on PPS (rather than having kids too old, so you're on Newstart or whatever instead), you can get a little extra if you study full time. I looked into this a few years ago, but Centrelink website tells me it's only about $60 extra a fortnight these days. Pensioner Education Supplement that's called.

Otherwise you could apply for Austudy, but it's not all that much even at it's max rate.

Some colleges do Diploma courses using FEE-HELP and so does Open Uni Aust. You have to check to see if it's eligible though - and while you might find that at ONE college will let you pay via FEE-HELP (which is basically the same as HECS - you don't pay upfront, but pay once you earn over a certain amount a year), the same course at another college won't... so it pays to shop around. I've found though, the they generally cost more for the FEE-HELP courses... so overall you're paying more, but if you can't afford to study without it, then it's probably a good idea (the course I'm starting in a few weeks could be approx $10000 upfront at TAFE... but going to a college, it's about $14000 with FEE-HELP... so $4000 more, but I don't have to pay it right away... so I'm okay with that extra cost).

Otherwise Uni will generally offer HECS help.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post: