+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Let the do-gooders flame me. I grant you that none of them will have had ANY experience with criminals or the corrections system. My stance is rather staunch in this respect for reasons I don't want to go into on this forum.

I have plenty of experience with criminals ranging from men serving 18 years in jail for drugs to one who will soon be released after serving 7 years for the murder of two people.

There are two types of criminals though, those who can be 'fixed' and those who are just plain evil and from the details, this guy in question sounds like he could have some small chance of being rehabilitated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I also think it could be worthwhile that they wait until he is released to start a family. If he got a life sentence he may only serve 10 years and thats pushing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Technically freedom is a right also, but that's what prison is designed for - removing some rights as punishment for a crime in society. Basic human rights are still in place behind bars. It's how the world is (attempts to be) a safer place. Go back a few decades and he could have been facing much harsher consequences (ie death penalty)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    A single person going through IVF using donor sperm is not the same thing. In this case the father will have access to the child. Imagine having to spend the time allocated to visitation in a prison. How will that impact on a child?
    Totally agree. Better to have no father than a father like that. I don't think it should be allowed. He's in prison. End of story. If they somehow got pregnant I wouldn't suggest forcing abortion (of course not! Let's not derail on that) but I don't think they should receive any assistance to become pregnant. It's not about the rights of the mother. She has chosen this man and I think that no children should be part of that package. It's about the rights of the man, which should be limited considering his situation, but more importantly it's about the rights of the child. It would be an automatic DOCS notification in my mind, so why even go there?

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lemonhead this man is serving a life sentence with no parole for first degree murder. I assume it is in the US as there is no such thing as first, second and third degree murder here. He will never be released.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    There are two types of criminals though, those who can be 'fixed' and those who are just plain evil and from the details, this guy in question sounds like he could have some small chance of being rehabilitated.
    Am I meant to laugh now or later?

Quote Originally Posted by notquitesupermum View Post
    As a victim of crime, I feel strongly 'NO WAY'.
    I dont think he should have been allowed to marry while in prison either
    I dont feel that marriage or having children are human rights. They are privileges.
    He had his chance to choose a future with a wife and child etc. He chose to kill a man instead.
    It really p*sses me off how many privileges prisoners (particularly in australia) have.
    feed them, cloth them, provide them with shelter - in my opinion that is ALL they should get while they are in prison.
    AMEN to that.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

notquitesupermum  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the USA do you have to have a criminal check to have IVF like it has been introduced here? If you are subjected to such a check then surely these people couldn't go ahead based on their background otherwise what is the point of the criminal check?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I have plenty of experience with criminals ranging from men serving 18 years in jail for drugs to one who will soon be released after serving 7 years for the murder of two people.

He intentionally sought out and killed a good samaritan. He is never getting out. He will never become a good person. He is there until he dies. How will he be a good parent?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read all the thread and I don't really know the full details but I tend to think no. In the best interest of the child (child to be) then I don't see how its a good situation.

Having said that though, there are many ppl who are terrible parents and many ppl who pick terrible ppl to have children with - there are dead beat dads who never have anything to do with their kids, there are ppl stuck in DV situations where the children are exposed to violence. There are criminals who are not injail who have kids.

I would say that the women could potenially raise the child on her own (as other ppl do), but I would have to question the ability of her to do that if she has already made teh decision to marry a convicted criminal who committed a violent crime - it would make me question her ability to make decisions and mental state.

I dunno...

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=OneBabyBoy;

Without reading the court documents, if it's true that there was no physical evidence he was in that lake that night then I personally think he deserves another more fair and accurate trial, innocent or not.[/QUOTE]

But there were witnesses claiming he was bragging about the drowning part later in the night.