+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Life sentence and wanting a baby

So I am watching Prison wives and the man was convicted of first degree murder with a life sentence and no parole.

He and his wife (she meet him in prison and they got married) want to have a baby (they are trying to get approval)

I am unsure what I think of this. So what do you think? Should they be able to have a baby?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yuk. He gave up his rights for that sort of stuff when he killed someone.
    So, would they try naturally? I'm sure he would be really upset if they had to keep 'trying' for ages before she got preggers........ Not!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 4underfour For This Useful Post:

laurea  (23-01-2012)

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not knowing the details of the murder case, the character of the offender, whether he has turned his life around, remorse, etc, makes it hard to say yes or no. But he has made a new life & married this woman, & I think if that's what they both want to do then they should. The wide obviously knows who she has married & still wants a baby with him, so I see it as unfair to deny her that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Without going into the "he killed someone, he should have no rights" side of thing, I think it is a baaadddd idea.

My first boyfriend was in and out of prison for our whole relationship (he was a childhood friend) and being a "prison wife" is terrible. It is worse than a long distance relationship and would be worse still if you knew there was no end in sight.

It would be pretty unfair for the child as well. I know it's perfectly possible to raise a child as a single parent to be a well balanced person. My main issue from the child's side is having to grow up with the stigma of having a father who is in jail for a terrible crime. And a father who is there, but isn't.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

laurea  (23-01-2012),Mod-Myztik  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Yuk. He gave up his rights for that sort of stuff when he killed someone.
    So, would they try naturally? I'm sure he would be really upset if they had to keep 'trying' for ages before she got preggers........ Not!
    In this case it would have to be an ivf baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I don't think his wife should be punished by having to remain childless. When imprisoned you give up the right to walk down the street like the rest of society, to be free and choose what you would like to do each day...you don't give up your human rights and having a family to love is a very natural human right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by dreadlockfairy View Post
    Not knowing the details of the murder case, the character of the offender, whether he has turned his life around, remorse, etc, makes it hard to say yes or no. But he has made a new life & married this woman, & I think if that's what they both want to do then they should. The wide obviously knows who she has married & still wants a baby with him, so I see it as unfair to deny her that.
    In this case he did seem remorseful and had turned to religion (but he may of just been a good actor)

He was appealing the case as he was saying he didn't do all of what he was charged with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah28 View Post

It would be pretty unfair for the child as well. I know it's perfectly possible to raise a child as a single parent to be a well balanced person. My main issue from the child's side is having to grow up with the stigma of having a father who is in jail for a terrible crime. And a father who is there, but isn't.
    This is what her doctor and attorney said. How will it affect the child that their dad was serving a life sentence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I personally know people who are serving life sentences or are on death row and I am in close contact with some of their wives or partners.
    Many of these women meet the man via pen pal. They write to them, get to know them etc and if permission is given marry them. These women have chosen this life. The child does not choose. Moral responsibility.
    Most of the men have changed but prison does that to you. Facing a life behind bars makes you want to reach out and hold on to almost anyone. They do not live real lives it's make believe. They pretend they are married and having a relationship. That's the way I see it. He is not there and he never will be. I have seen lives be torn apart by these situations. These women are missing something in their lives and in 5 or 10 years they might find what they where looking for and move on from being a prison wife. Happens ALOT.
    Long story short I dont agree with it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

laurea  (23-01-2012),MsMummy  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They met in prison, why was she there? I think it's wrong to bring a child into the world like that.