+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How did you know you had low milk supply??

Hi Hubbers!! I'm curious to know how those of you who got diagnosed with low milk supply realised it was low (before being diagnosed by GP/Paed)?? DD, 4.5m, weight gain has slowed down, shes always been a small bub , howering between 10-15th percentile, fully breastfed..paed has always been happy with her weight gain but on last appointment her weight was sitting on 5th percentile. He said we'll see how it is on next appointment. Reason I'm thinking of low supply is that my breasts dont fill up as much as they used to, she tends to feed very frequently, sometimes after 45min to 1 hr (although she does seem satisfied after a feed),feed duration is variable...10-20mins. shes pooping and peeing same amount though. we'll see the paed in a month again for review . But thought I'd ask other mums about their expereince. I used to think that feeding every 1hr she would be putting on more weight ..not slowing down!!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I knew it was lower at one stage based on nappies (not as much wee).

I don't base it on how often he feeds or how my breasts feel.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i knew exactly how my supply was because from about 8 weeks because ds wouldnt feed from me (even with shields) so i was expressing every feed and i could see there was very little coming out, i started topping ds up with formula, did mixed feeding from 8 to 16 weeks then full time formula from 16 weeks.

when i eventually have my next bub ill persist with b/f for as long as i can

ps. i think there is some medication you can get to help with your supply? and something like lactation cookies that you can make...???

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyspice For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My breasts were empty and ds was always hungry and grumpy and started refusing feeds from me. He was nine months though and I was 12 weeks preg!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jess1889 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    For me my boobs never grew in size, never leaked, couldn't express anything out, baby wouldn't settle or sleep and she didn't put on weight. On day 14 she was on formula and turned from a nightmare into a silent calm placid dream!! Haha

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SunshineMunky For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Missie_Mack has given you some wonderful insight and advice.

For me, I knew my supply had dropped with no/low weight gain. I don't have big breasts any time so is always hard to tell that way! I also don't ever feel full unless my DS has gone unusually longer between feeds (5hrs v 3hrs).

I was put on Mottilium by the GP and every time I tried stopping it, DS would lose/low weight again. So I'm now on it for as long as I'm b/feeding, which is fine.

If concerned between appts, you could try eating more oats/porridge, taking fenugreek (health-food store), adding flaxseed meal and/or brewers yeast to some baking. These are all natural alternatives to the drugs. If you look up 'lactation cookies' in the Sticky section under b/feeding, you'll find some great recipes that do really work (well for me anyway).

Ppl and the ABA will suggest you to feed more to boost your supply - which does work - but if you are already feeding every hour or so like I was, then this advice doesn't really help unfortunately!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tashaplus2 View Post
    For me my boobs never grew in size, never leaked, couldn't express anything out, baby wouldn't settle or sleep and she didn't put on weight. On day 14 she was on formula and turned from a nightmare into a silent calm placid dream!! Haha
    Much the same for me, except my milk did come in and then mysteriously disappeared again!

DD got frustrated at the breast, consistently lost weight, and I couldn't get anything to come out of my boobs! I tried all kinds of supplements/ tricks/ spending all day with DD or pump attached - and nothing. After a few weeks I put her on formula and she turned into the happiest baby ever.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I knew when DS would feed perfectly for a few minutes, but then would get frustrated and start screaming. If it squeezed, not much came out. He would then take as much EBM as I had managed to express between feeds, as well as a considerable amount of formula.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am an ABA counsellor, and from the limited info that you have given, it doesn't sound to me like you have a low supply at all. Obviously I don't know the whole story though! Breast size, ability to express, frequency of bubs feeds etc are not necessarily signs of low supply. Some babies (and people) are just meant to be smaller.

Maybe call the ABA Helpline if you are concerned - 1800 MUM 2 MUM. The ladies there will be able to talk you through everything, and if you are still concerned about your supply, will be able to give you really good advice on how to boost it.

If you haven't already, do look up the WHO Growth Charts. The charts we use in Australia are based on formula fed babies in the 70s, not breastfed babies who gain weight at different rates. That may mean bubs gains are in fact normal.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That doesn't sound like low supply. Both my children have had slow weight gain. My daughter was 80th percentile at birth and is now 25th lol.. I was a fully breastfed baby and I dropped down to 10th as well.. Breastfed babies do not gain weight as quickly as formula fed babies or at the same rate usually. Under fed babies seem unwell and tired usually, don't wee and poo well. Are very cranky etc. Expressing only small amounts does not indicate low supply. A baby drinking more happily from a bottle is because bottles are easier to get milk from and there is no waiting for let down. Not all mums get a "full" feeling..I have never ever had this except right after birth. Your baby is feeding often like mine which is also normal. Annoying but normal lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9100 using Tapatalk

19. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (22-01-2012)