+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you notice this bit of the article:
    Miss Laxton said her own background had influenced her view about gender stereotypes.

‘My mother’s very sporty and my dad was very emotional. We’d watch The Wizard of Oz and always start crying, whereas my mum would think we were really soppy,’ she said. ‘So it’s always seemed obvious to me that stereotypes didn’t fit the people I knew.’
    So she managed to have an upbringing that didn't conform with gender stereotypes without being brought up gender neutral... so why go to such extremes with your own son? It isn't even logical. Her 'experiment' would have made more sense if she'd said "as a child I was forced to wear pink and told I couldn't be a fire fighter".

Also, if you are going to use your child as an experiment, at least think through your methods a little better. It seems to me that the early baby to preschool years, at home and at the park with friends, are relatively gender neutral, with lots of craft activities, ball games, scooters, primary coloured toys. At that age, kids don't conform to gender stereotypes much if you don't push it with them. AFTER 5 is when the unhealthy gender stereotypes kick in, and kids are influenced more by society through the playground than their home environment. Revealing the boys gender now leaves him wide open to all the peer pressure at school, which will pretty much defeat their experiment, and screw the poor kid up for nothing!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucy in the Sky For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-w...5875-23711505/

Ugh! That video is scary! Not only does it show how hard she is pushing her agenda onto her kid, but the fact that she has given this video to the media shows how much she is using the poor boy!

It's actually quite easy to raise your child to understand that gender stereotypes, like pink for girls, blue for boys, are 'silly'. She could have achieved that without making her child a lab rat. A lot of people I know do this. We do this. My son just had his third birthday and chose a racing car cake and wanted pink glitter flowers on his cheeks at the face painting. No big deal.
    I think she seems like a narcissist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did you watch it it's not connected to the link ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The whole thing is off to me. I completely disagree with them using their child for a social experiment and pushing their own agendas on to their children.

I have two girls and a boy. I haven't forced them to do anything...although I did put them in pink and blue as babies (pink for girls, blue for boy) because that was my preference.

DD1 - loves pink, although now changing to yellow and blue as her favourite colours...favourite toy is Lego, doesn't really play with dolls, doesn't want to be a mummy when she grows up cause she wants to be a builder and Tae Kwan Do is her chosen after school activity. She's 6 and has always knows she is a girl.

DD2 - Favourite colours have always been blue, green, yellow and orange although now she likes some pink too. Loves playing mummy's and looks after her doll like it's a real baby. Has her own ironing board, tea set etc...all blue and her doll is a boy (penis and all) and all gender neutral dolls are blue. She has an ear length bob because she doesn't want long hair. She's 4 and wants to be a kid forever.

DS - He is 2 so still just wears what I put him in...he plays with trucks and cars, loves helicopters, high heels, fairy dresses, prams, balls, animals, duplo and loves singing and dancing - often in high heels and fairy dresses. One of his fave songs is 'fairy dancing girl.' He has gone to the park and out for dinner with his hair in pig tails when has asked for it. Most times though he is happy for it to just be brushed, or doesn't even want me to touch his hair.

All my kids have known from the beginning what gender they are. Hiding their gender is just confusing, encouraging them to be comfortable with who they are and what they like isn't that hard really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Lucy in the Sky  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    How did you watch it it's not connected to the link ????
    Hmmm... the video should work...
    You could try searching 'sacha gender video' and clicking through to link yourself?