+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Great concept, terrible execution. True gender neutrality would be offering both masculine and feminine and allowing the child to chose.
    I agree. I actually support the concept they are trying to achieve. Gender stereo typing can negatively effect kids. But they didn't need to go to these lengths of hiding his sex (which is beyond question) and actually steering him towards feminine things to achieve it.

In our house there is no boy or girls colours or toys. If DD wants to play football or DS wants to do ballet, no worries. Our kids, despite our pains to not push gender stereo types have turned out... well in the most common stereotypes lol we got DS a baby when he was about 2, he carried it around for a few days... then threw it away in favour of his trucks. DD is a girly girl that likes dresses and dolls.

I believe they could have raised him free of gender roles without going as far as to deny his sex and call him 'the infant'... and I do agree I don't think they have raised him without gender bias as they admit to pushing feminine clothes/toys so to me they ARE influencing him just in the opposite way.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

laurea  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    and if she wants to wear blue and play with trucks?
    Nope nope nope not happening haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserama View Post
    Actually according to the comments it seems that the article has been tweeked a bit too because a couple of people have posted this comment....

"Sasha's gender was almost revealed when he took to running around their garden naked, but Beck was resolute and encouraged him to play with dolls to hide his masculinity."

And I can't find it in the article at all now. Several posters have posted this comment and it's a really disturbing comment showing exactly what her agenda was....but now the comment is gone? And the comment about banning combat trousers is also gone.
    Yep. I think what they did was wrong!!

DD wears boys and girls clothes. She plays with dolls, trains, ponies, cars, strawberry shortcake and superman.

How they have gone about his is just I'm sorry but disgusting!!

They forced him to more so be a girl to prove a point..

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (23-01-2012),laurea  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I would place a bet that if they had a girl, she would be banned from wearing pink, playing with dolls, or having clips in her hair. This is where I think it's wrong. Let the kid be free to be a kid, not push him into things. Now if he chose the girls uniform, chose to play with dolls, chose to wear flowery tops, I see no problem with that.
    I wonder if they'd had a girl if they'd have done anything at all - from the comments posted, regarding encouraging him or not allowing him to wear certain things, it sounds (to me) more like gender disappointment than raising a child gender neutral. It doesn't sound neutral at all. Sounds as though they were trying to raise a girl. Which is so very very sad.

Though I don't know the family personally, we can only know what we read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I wonder if they'd had a girl if they'd have done anything at all - from the comments posted, regarding encouraging him or not allowing him to wear certain things, it sounds (to me) more like gender disappointment than raising a child gender neutral. It doesn't sound neutral at all. Sounds as though they were trying to raise a girl. Which is so very very sad.

I was wondering that myself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If gender is a social/cultural construct, which I believe it is partially but not wholly, in order to raise your child like this you need to effectively alienate your child from many social and cultural interactions. I think we're social creatures and I think that controlling your child's environment and disallowing them to form an identity the same way everyone else does is cruel. Gender isn't a big deal. You can still provide a range of choices to your child and allow them freedom of expression. Creating difference for the sake of it just guarantees your child won't feel like they fit in and belong so you can make an academic argument. That is warped and cruel.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post

That's the first thing hubby said when I asked him... "sounds like they wanted a girl"...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

laurea  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    In our house there is no boy or girls colours or toys. If DD wants to play football or DS wants to do ballet, no worries. Our kids, despite our pains to not push gender stereo types have turned out... well in the most common stereotypes lol we got DS a baby when he was about 2, he carried it around for a few days... then threw it away in favour of his trucks. DD is a girly girl that likes dresses and dolls.
    It's hard as they get older, DS has always loved his cars and trucks etc but he did play with dolls etc when younger and not in school. I think all of the TV shows, learning from us as parents, friends influences are just bound to set us all back about 50 years. Not to mention the toys aimed at the two 'genders'. Gosh, I remember growing up I had my barbies etc but most toys were for everyone!

I think it's good that these parents haven't forced the stereotypes on him in earlier years, I think it's incredibly limiting for young children, but I don't agree with the hiding of the "masculinity" (sorry, I have to giggle at that - wasn't he a toddler ).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also add, I really feel for parents who try to raise their children outside the norm and it is publicised.

I really do feel it is just as cruel to force your child into playing with trucks/not wearing pink or doing ballet and playing with cooking sets as it is to force them out of it. I think it's incredibly mean to tell little boys or girls they 'cannot' play with or do something because boys/girls 'don't do that'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is an article in the Brisbane MX newspaper saying there is a video where the boy is discussing "silly" gender differences. I'll take a pic of the article when I'm not on the bus.

Can anyone find the video?