+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Boy or girl...parents finally reveal gender of child.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

What do you think?

Personally, although I can understand where they were coming from and think that this experiment is very interesting, I do think that they went the wrong way about it and that it could potentially be harmful to their child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the parents are just odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I understand the intellectual argument supporting a gender-neutral upbringing but these parents made a circus out of. The child may have avoided a gender based stereotyping of his peers but he will find it hard shake the 'weirdo' stereotype after how his parents have exploited him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

laurea  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I get it but I think it's wrong to turn your child into an experiment.

I don't see what other people knowing the sex of your baby has to do with anything. If relatives and close friends know this child's sex, then I don't get it. It's not like the child is going to be very influenced with gender stereotyping by the random lady in the supermarket.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

laurea  (21-01-2012),MrsBeee  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I think the parents are just odd.
    Same here. I feel sorry for the poor child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it totally intriguing and interesting. I understand where they are coming from and thinking breaking the gender norms are fantastic.

I plan to do this thing on a tiny scale. I brought a hot pink pram this week. We have a dd but pram is for newbie. People who know about the pram, their first question was what happens if you have a boy? I said so what dd had a blue pram no one asked about that I said im going to dress bub in blue and watch people's reactions to a blue bub in pink pram and watch them ask about gender. I plan to not to answer with a gender specific answer. but that obviously is no where near to extend this family went to

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (21-01-2012),Berrie  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleven Eleven View Post
    Yeah, I get it but I think it's wrong to turn your child into an experiment.

I don't see what other people knowing the sex of your baby has to do with anything. If relatives and close friends know this child's sex, then I don't get it. It's not like the child is going to be very influenced with gender stereotyping by the random lady in the supermarket.
    I think that's why the canadian couple mentioned in the article just kept the gender to their family unit of the themselves and their two older ds

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with a gender neutral upbringing, but anyone can achieve that. It's more to do with exposing the child to everything and allowing that child to make choices. I think boys are more affected than girls in that no one questions a female mechanic anymore, but people still look down on male nurses or male cleaners. No one questions a little girl in denim jeans and a blue t shirt playing with trucks, but they still guide boys away from dolls.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

1+1=5  (21-01-2012),Benji  (23-01-2012),Jakois  (21-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (23-01-2012),MissMuppet  (21-01-2012),MrsBeee  (22-01-2012),Pinkzy  (21-01-2012),trishalishous  (21-01-2012),Witwicky  (21-01-2012),~ElectricPink~  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Pink-Hen View Post
    I think that's why the canadian couple mentioned in the article just kept the gender to their family unit of the themselves and their two older ds
    I understand it more with doing that.

Still I think what the child would gain in gender neutrality they would lose on identity issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the parents were pretty extreme. The fact is their child is a boy. So what?
    They could have brought him up to make his own decisions regardless of his gender and with other people knowing that he is a male. The fact that they kept it a secret has created an issue of his gender and made more of a point of interest what his sex is than if they had just told people his gender to begin with.

And what's with reffering to him when he is younger as the infant? What about his name? FFS.

I think the parents are a bit weird to be honest. Now regardless of their beliefs they have made a spectacle of their son that may very well follow him into his teens and cause problems for him socially if his peers come across the article and that's not fair or right
    Last edited by laurea; 21-01-2012 at 19:17.