+ Reply to Thread
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Checklist- Leading up to TTC

We're hoping to TTC around April/May and I'm trying to get my things in order.

So far I know the things you should do to prepare for TTC are:

* Cut smoking I've never smoked, and neither has DH so...check

* Cut drinking I've never had a drink and neither has DH so...check

* Regulate a healthy sleep pattern {I usually have a good pattern but the last week and a bit I've been sleeping in to lunchtime and going to bed at 1am ish. Oops not too good, must stop that!}

* Regulate a healthy diet {have daily meat, fruit and vegetables with occasional fish, but I'm still a slave of the fortnightly Cold Rock icecream with DH} half-check

* See a dentist and have dental work completed. Definitely no check. I have a filling needed but because of epilepsy I need to have it done under very heavy sedation...which is very expensive.
    * Start pre-natal vitamins. I have no idea which ones to take so no check.

* Get a general check up at the doctors, address health and weight issues.I very rarely get sick and only see the doctor to get epilepsy medication scripts. Have lost 12 kilos in 6 months and down to just a touch above average weight. Half check

* Sort finances and see if it's even financially plausible. Hubby is an accountant and has a natural talent for knowing the value of every coin, so I'm not worried if he says we'll be just fine.

----------

Is there anything I'm missing? Anything that anybody can comment on or add to that list?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Toughlove! Sounds like you are doing pretty well already. I would suggest to get hubby taking menevit (recommended to start 3 months prior to TTC) and start yourself on a preconception supplement such as elevit or blackmores conceive well gold. congratulations on your weightloss! and I don't think you need to worry about your fortnightly cold rock you need a little self indulgence every now and then to keep you sane

Would also recommend to chart your cycles for a couple of months to check if your cycles are regular etc if you really wanna get into detail you could chart cervical mucous etc to work out around what day you usually ovulate.

good luck on your journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree chart your cycles for a few months, this really helped me get pg (i also did OPK's & used the SMEP plan) Also, cut out/cut down on caffine - apparantly more than the equivilant caffine of 5 cups of coke a day can make it hard to conceive & also increases the risk of miscarriage. Most of all, relax !!

Wishing you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would add to stop birth control now if youre on any. That way you can chart your normal cycles and it gives you a bit of time for them to regulate before you try. Other than that it all sounds good!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As above, except for one thing. Enjoy pre-baby time!!! Eat soft cheese, cold ham, sushi and anything else you love that will need to go on hold when pregnant. Go out at the drop of a hat. Sleep in. Go to the movies. Take ages getting ready in the morning.

Life is amazing with a little person on the inside and even better when they arrive on the outside, but enjoy some selfish time

Forgot to add - get you GP to check your immunity e.g. Rubella.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    from my experiences enjoy life forget the prep

all the things you will actually need to do to conceive will be enough without making it a chore beforehand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    I would add to stop birth control now if youre on any. That way you can chart your normal cycles and it gives you a bit of time for them to regulate before you try. Other than that it all sounds good!
    That's one thing we can't do. We conceive very easily, DD was conceived while we were using condoms, the pill, spermacide foam, and the pull out method....all at once.
    The month she was conceived we only DTD once, as I had a seizure the day after and needed a long bed rest to recover.
    I went on the pill after she was born, we used all the methods we could, conceived again in the space of a few months {early miscarriage due to a bad seizure} and then I had the Implanon implanted, and we used all of the above {except the pill} again.

We're under the impression that as soon as the implant is out, we'll do it once and I'll be knocked up again.

We also need to switch to an epilepsy + pregnancy safe medication before we take the implant out, to minimise the risk of birth defects as much as we possibly can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you conceive so easily why so concerned about a check-list you have got life pretty easy in the TTC stakes just takes life as it comes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    if you conceive so easily why so concerned about a check-list you have got life pretty easy in the TTC stakes just takes life as it comes
    To optimise the chances for the healthiest possible baby, of course?

I'm not concerned about the actual conceiving, I'm concerned about the health of the baby in the womb.