+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I did not use much of what I took but we had the I-pod going stocked up with songs that meant something to us (or I liked). While I was oblivious to it I did remember it stopping and asking DH to restart it. Also as DS emerged into the world Mama by Il Divo was playing and it was the song that we played at MIL's funeral and it seemed perfect, like she was with us.

I also used a heat pack (supplied by the hospital) for a lot of it.

I actually found laboring on the toilet really comfortable for a huge chunk of it.

Other than that, I was just lost in my own world doing what I had to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Juju Sundkin's book has some great suggestions on what to take to the hospital. Here are some things I took:

Exercise ball- I'd sit on it and bounce up and down between contractions, sometimes even when I had a contraction.

Stress ball- while sitting on the exercise ball, I'd squeeze or hit the stress ball against the bed as a distraction and something to concentrate on.

Oil burner. Buy an electric one if the hospital doesn't allow candles.

Lavender oil- helped me relax.

Peppermint oil- great for when you need the energy. I used it while pushing because I was exhausted.

Relaxing music

Wheat packs were amazing!!!! I'd keep it on my lower abdomen (where I felt the pain) and it really helped ease my contractions.

Gatorade

Chocolate = D

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Number one - DH.

Number 2 - 3 litres of half strength Powerade/Gatorade. I drank the lot. Actually with DS I ran out! Drank a few mouthfuls between each contraction.

Number 3 - not something we brought from home but at the hospital got a jug of icy water and a washer. This was the best thing ever - I hate feeling overheated and had this on the back of my neck through both labours..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subscribing

Thanks
    Reviews
    A stack of magazines to distract me between contractions.
    Wheat pack
    Lollies and chocolate (hid them from the midwives in case they told me I couldnt eat lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mommy She kept me hydrated and gassed :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I brought an open mind, best thing you can have when going into labour.

Painwise, I used a Fitball, pregnancy beanbag and water(shower,bath) I also had music playing which helped distract me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

Cue  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband
    All you need is a great support partner as you will be that far into "the zone" you won't have time to be playing Uno or eating lollies haha

I spent six hours in the shower that was the best spot for me, so little things I packed didn't even get used

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DD was born just 16 minutes after I was wheeled into the delivery suite in a wheelchair, so I had no time for the music I'd packed or barley sugars...lol

With DS all I had was one juice popper the whole 7 hours I was in labour, just didn't want anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I brought a fantastic, on the same page as me support person (DH).

In my first labour I had 'stress balls' and when the contractions got particularly nasty, I would squeeze the you-know-whats out of them and it worked a treat.

Other than that I brought a positive attitude, I wasn't negative or afraid of labour or the birth.