+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What did u do/bring to hospital that helped you through labor?

Hiya all,
    just wondering if those of you who have had babies can suggest anything that helped you get through your labor? Or essential things to bring to the hospital to help?

Here are a few things I have heard that will help. Wheat bag, spray bottle, lollies, iPod/music etc...

Any suggestions are appreciated :-)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    An awesome support person would be my top pick

Sent from my iPad using Bub Hub app

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

IndigoJ  (22-01-2012),trishalishous  (23-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didnt use anything I took with me, except my husband I just sat on a fitball in the shower - bliss.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MummaOJ View Post
    I didnt use anything I took with me, except my husband I just sat on a fitball in the shower - bliss.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    This is me also.
    Literally took my clothes off and had my babies.
    DH is irreplaceable to me when I'm in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great question
    With my first I had a doula- and was fortunate enough to have a wonderful midwife who was on. They were both very kind and supportive.. Completely saved my sanity.
    With my second, I had the same doula, and a bloody horrid midwife! Visions of stabbing her helped!
    I'd brought music and wheat packs, etc.. But the midwife really put me into the wrong frame of mine and place, so every little thing was epically ****ing me off.

THIS time around, I'm having the same doula (she's a total gem!), plus I signed up to the midwife program, and I've had every antenatal appointment with her so we know each other well, etc, and she keeps everyone away! Between her and my doula we've worked out a great plan of water birth, mobility, Guns N Roses And rescue remedy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Weird but I visualized a bottle (wine bottle type) and with breath out I would imagine some of the substance in the bottle disappear, until at the end of the contraction the bottle was empty.

Juju Sundins Birth Skills is a great, practical book from it I used controlled AHHH noises, drumming my feet, and sensory distraction like scratching my nails on a corrugated vinyl chair seat repetitively for an hour (poor DH!) and scratching the bed sheets.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my last birth I found those squishy stress balls really good. I was using stomping,swaying and squeezing the stress balls in the shower during each contraction. Saved my poor hubby and mums hands from getting squished.

<3 Awaiting the arrival of our 4th little pig due on boxing day <3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Little Pigs For This Useful Post:

FraggleRocks  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluekrushbabe View Post
    anything that helped you get through your labor
    drugs wonderful things

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second the tens machine.

I also second/third/fourth juju Sundin's book! I was a counter and a focus on a particular point in the room.

Combs.

Yes - old school style men's combs. Squeezed between my palms/fingers/knuckles. It gave me an alternate source of pain that distracted me the contraction pain.

Someone to apply counter-pressure on your hips/back during contractions.

These things got me through dd2's birth. Only drug relief was 2 panadol and a shot of maxalon to stop me vomitting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had lots of things that I thought I might use, most of them recommended in juju's book. I had essential oils, massage oils, a massager, stress balls, music etc.

On the day I didn't use any of them, just got in the bath and focused on my breathing and visualised the labour progressing. That got me through my 10 hour labour with no drugs. It did get very tough at one point but by then I was fully dilated so I knew the end was in sight.

Despite not using the labour tools I brought along, I felt better knowing I had them....i didn't know what I would feel like on the day.

Good luck

Sent from my LT15i