+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Airplane ride + toilet training!!

Next month, I am taking my 2 DDs to visit my folks. DH is staying home/work, so flying solo.

I am flying between Perth and Brisbane.

Dd1 is toilet training (started in December). She is pretty good on wees. Tells us and runs to the toilet, and has started waking up dry from her nap. She still poos in her knickers.

On a 4-5hr flight, she will need to go.

I'm worried about:

- what do I do with 6month old Dd2 while dd1 needs the toilet?? (assume hosties will help?).
    - what if there is a big line waiting to use the loo? Will others let me skip in front???
    -what if she just gets 100% freaked out about the plane toilet???

I would prefer not to put her in a nappy.

What did you do with your toilet training toddler when you had to fly???

All help/advice/stories appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I asked for an aisle seat near the toilet, announced when there was a queue that ds was 'toilet training' and would anyone mind if we pushed in. I only had ds then so not sure if the hosties would help (expect so if they can) but I wouldn't have an issue in asking any female passenger to hold my 6 month old while I helped the older child. People were fine about us 'pushing in'. I think if you are assertive about your dd's needs then you should be fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We took my ds on a flight a few months after he started TTing. It was from Melbourne to Cairns, so a 3.5 hour flight (or thereabouts). I took him to the toilet before we got on the plane and then chose a good time & took him to the toilet mid-flight. I didn't wait til he said he needed to go to the toilet. Remember that on a flight it can be tricky to get to the toilet for large parts of the flight (due to trolleys in the aisle for food/drink).

My ds screamed hysterically when I flushed the toilet. It's *really* loud and doesn't sound anything like a flushing toilet. I recommend doing it after opening the door & sending your dd outside the door (but within your sight).

It's tricky but you'll survive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with all the above. How about some pull-ups just for the flight? Talk them up that they are "special aeroplane knickers". I couldn't think of much worse than dealing with pooey knickers or bottoms on a plane, with a baby as well....not a risk I'd like to take I don't think and unlikely to cause any TT regression.

I found I had to hold my bub on my hip while helping my older child, but it wasn't too much of a drama, and we left the toilet door open...

HTH!

Definitely agree with the scary toilet flushing, my 8yo is still scared of it!

'

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have to say, that I took the easy way out and used sposies. I didn't want too, but the toilets are soooooo pokey and you have to change them side on. It smells, it's noisy and just plain disgusting!!

I reckon for sure that the flight attendants would help you out! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks!

I'll have a think about the pull ups. Could be an option.

I won't be able to hold dd2 and help dd1 at the same time as dd1 isn't big enough to climb on a toilet by herself

Im torn between sitting down the back (close to the toilet) and requesting a bassinet seat for dd2 (up the front)! Maybe they'll let us use the business class toilet.

Keep the stories coming! Plenty of food for thought!