+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Breast Refusal?

Hi everyone, just after some tips to help me deal with my 11 week old son's occasional breast refusal. I think its coming from a strong let down on my rhs and it only happens every now and then.

He will sometimes just scream when I try to get him to attach and if I swap to the lhs, he is fine. He's also fine if I express and give him the ebm immediately. Sometimes I can persist and just keep putting my nipple in his mouth and he will latch on and be fine.

I'm just not sure if I should continue persisting and making him take it or is that going to make it worse in the long run? Anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    First thing is ditch the bottle unless your going out, my 2nd DS would refuse the breast because he preferred the speed of the bottle and would get angry till I let down, if he crys because of a forceful let down stimulate your breast to let down into a cloth or save it into a freezer bag then attach him. I did this for 4 months until my milk was settled into his feeding pattern good luck don't give up seek out a lactation nurse in your area through the college of lactation consultants they have a page that links to qualified lactation nurses in your area and Pm me if you like, here to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for your reply! I'm lucky enough to have access to a lactation consultant at our local parent and baby unit so I'll be giving her a ring on Monday (but having said that, he's been absolutely fine all day today...) I definitely won't give up bf (I'm way too lazy for ff lol) I'd just like to try and avoid having to pump if I can. He does only have the medela calma teats though and im pretty sure he has to work harder for the bottle than he does on the boob lol