+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Your body absorbs calcium better when your pregnant/breastfeeding

Took the red pill.
    Great to know I always feel I need to up my calcium when pregnant it always feels bub is stealing to much lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can people take their rant about formula being just as good out of a breastfeeding thread?

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-01-2012),Etienne  (26-01-2012),FluffyDucks  (27-01-2012),jemmajam  (26-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (26-01-2012),Opinionated  (26-01-2012),sunandstars17  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Discussing research-based evidence of the protective effects of breastfeeding is far from telling someone what to do wtih their body.

As a very important issue for women (and infant) health though, I'm sure as a feminist you can see how critical it is for adequate funding to be given to resources and education, for protective legislation to be in place to ensure a woman is able to exercise this part of her biology, and for breastfeeding to become normalised.
    Very well said!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Michelle, I know someone already mentioned cognitive benefits but I'm not sure psychological benefits have had a mention yet. Breastfeeding is about more than just breast milk. It is also about the comfort received by being cuddled so close to the heart. Nutrition aside (those benefits are many but I think that's already been covered) Breastfeeding also feeds the soul.
    I'll address bottle feeding now rather than wait, as I see this thread is detailing a bit. Yes of course exclusive pumpers or formula feeders can provide the same closeness. In fact just today I saw a young baby being given a bottle while in a baby carrier right up on mums chest. Lovely. But I guess its tempting to give the bottle while bub is in the pram or the cot or the high chair, especially as that may leave you a free hand (and what busy mum doesn't need that?) and when bub is older they may hold their own bottle and not even need mum near. Now I understand there are benefits to this, but what I'm saying is Breastfeeding effectively forces the mother and child to have frequent close cuddles and that provides a psychological benefit to them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (26-01-2012),jemmajam  (26-01-2012),MilkiCuddles  (26-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (26-01-2012),purplecat  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    Michelle, I know someone already mentioned cognitive benefits but I'm not sure psychological benefits have had a mention yet. Breastfeeding is about more than just breast milk. It is also about the comfort received by being cuddled so close to the heart. Nutrition aside (those benefits are many but I think that's already been covered) Breastfeeding also feeds the soul.
    I'll address bottle feeding now rather than wait, as I see this thread is detailing a bit. Yes of course exclusive pumpers or formula feeders can provide the same closeness. In fact just today I saw a young baby being given a bottle while in a baby carrier right up on mums chest. Lovely. But I guess its tempting to give the bottle while bub is in the pram or the cot or the high chair, especially as that may leave you a free hand (and what busy mum doesn't need that?) and when bub is older they may hold their own bottle and not even need mum near. Now I understand there are benefits to this, but what I'm saying is Breastfeeding effectively forces the mother and child to have frequent close cuddles and that provides a psychological benefit to them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app
    I think this is the best benefit of BF. It really did help me bond with my DD and I'm sure our strong bond will have a very positive impact on her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Theres so much more to raising a child than what milk they get I'm their first year of life.
    Oh really you would not think so, then why do we constantly feel the need to keep talking about it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you ladies that actually gave me the information I asked for!

I was not intending this thread to be about breast vs bottle. I simply wanted to understand the WHO guidelines for breast feeding to two years of age and wondering if that was relevant for countries that were as abundant in foods/clean water.

If I wanted a thread about breast vs bottle I would have titled it that way!

Yes I feel for women that feel guilty or judged by FF. I was one of those that went to FF early with DS2 because I was told by 'professionals' that he wasn't gaining enough so I needed to FF so I am not trying to dis anyone as I understand how it feels.

I just wanted to understand the WHO guidelines as I know we have very knowledge women here who understand about all that....but if course the thread gets derailed!

Please stay on topic!

Thank you
    Last edited by FluffyDucks; 27-01-2012 at 06:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    Oh really you would not think so, then why do we constantly feel the need to keep talking about it
    When people continue to downplay the benefits of breastfeeding, discussions need to continue in order to highlight them.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (27-01-2012),Etienne  (27-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Same mopoke - had I been surveyed if jasper had been EXCLUSIVELY breast fed until 6 months my answer would have been no as he had had
    The occasional bottle. Like less than 5 bottles in total.

Never mind he was demand breast fed until 2 years & still fed more or less on demand at home until 3 years. At 6 months he wouldn't have been classed as being 'exclusively breast fed'.

So I'm suspicious of exactly what those statistics indicate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Boobychino. I was upset to realize that exclusively breastfed meant no dummies, no thumbs, no emb, no solids. So I guess dd stopped being exclusively bf at 2 days when scn gave her a dummy with our permission, than ebm when I needed a pet scan at 8 weeks than when I returned to work and when I stated solids at 17weeks.
    Never mind she was fed on demand either breast or ebm until she self weaned at 14months and despite having cows milk with cereal at that time bm was still her main source of milk