+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...nefits-mothers
    1. Reduces the risk of breast cancer. Women who breastfeed reduce their risk of developing breast cancer by as much as 25 percent. The reduction in cancer risk comes in proportion to the cumulative lifetime duration of breastfeeding. That is, the more months or years a mother breastfeeds, the lower her risk of breast cancer.
    2. Reduces the risk of uterine and ovarian cancer. One of the reasons for the cancer-fighting effects of breastfeeding is that estrogen levels are lower during lactation. It is thought that the less estrogen available to stimulate the lining of the uterus and perhaps breast tissue also, the less the risk of these tissues becoming cancerous.
    3. Lessens osteoporosis. Non-breastfeeding women have a four times greater chance of developing osteoporosis than breastfeeding women and are more likely to suffer from hip fractures in the post-menopausal years.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),SPC  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The thing is, there are things in breastmilk that cannot be duplicated. No matter how people want to look at it. There is a small percentage of babies who cannot have bm, and often go on to be tube or peg fed for life, and a small percentage of women who are physically unable to bf. Then other factors like meds not compatible with breastfeeding. There are people who simply choose not to bf, and people who are given poor advice or no support. These are the biggest percentage of people who do not bf. The benefitsof breastmilk should not be ignored on the off chance that someone who fits the above categories becomes offended. For me, nothing but the best food is given to my child, and that begins at birth. No numbers on labels. Pure foods for at least her first 3 years, and minimal food with numbers thereafter.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (25-01-2012),Bubbles10  (26-01-2012),Etienne  (26-01-2012),Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),purplecat  (26-01-2012),threechooks  (26-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012),WorkingClassMum  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ethical and environmental impact also plays a role in my decision to breast feed.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (26-01-2012),share a book  (25-01-2012),threechooks  (26-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    *sigh* It's a shame that people feel the need to defend their right to formula feed in these threads and it happens every single time.
    The benefits of breastfeeding are just that, benefits...if you don't like it/can't do it/ don't want to do it and aren't interested in the information then don't read it. No biggie. There's no need to come in argue with the benefits. The OP simply wanted to know what the benefits were. I haven't bf any of my kids until 2 years old or over either

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (26-01-2012),FluffyDucks  (27-01-2012),SPC  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Breastfeeding Advocacy and Formula Feeding Guilt
    http://www.drmomma.org/2011/06/breas...d-formula.html

Love love love love that article

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think for me, I felt so bad and judged for switching to formula, so I just like to tell other mums who are struggling with BFing that it's not the be all and end all. That the differences between BF and FF are negligible and not to buy into the hype about IQ points and obesity etc. Theres so much more to raising a child than what milk they get I'm their first year of life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    I think for me, I felt so bad and judged for switching to formula, so I just like to tell other mums who are struggling with BFing that it's not the be all and end all. That the differences between BF and FF are negligible and not to buy into the hype about IQ points and obesity etc. Theres so much more to raising a child than what milk they get I'm their first year of life.
    Perhaps instead of giving them misinformation, you could offer support to realize that they have made their choice (forced or otherwise) and that if they have trouble moving past it they can seek professnal help. Lying to ourselves about the lack of benefits doesn't help assuage our guilt, or if it does we are lying to ourselves. Not to bring up the dreaded topic of abortion, but your argument to me is like the one where those of us who have had abortions try to tell ourselves it was just a clump of cells - when in fact there is more to it, as those of us who have had early ultrasounds know. It is possible to know the facts and still move past the grief - and the same goes for stopping bf and moving to ff. in fact I would argue that knowing all the facts is the best way to ensure you don't get caught out down the track finding out benefits or whatever and feeling the grief return. I have done it and am happyto state that I wish I was still feeding ds at three, as I know the benefits for both of us. However that was not our path and I have moved past the guilt.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (26-01-2012),Etienne  (26-01-2012),share a book  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Lemonpancakes, I am also sorry that breastfeeding did not work out for you. You sound quite sad and affected by it, and by other people reaction to your choice. It must have been a hard time.

However this information is simply not correct. The differences are not negligible. They are backed up by countless amounts of scientific research and evidence. The article you posted was written by a journalist. It was an opinion piece. It was not research and has no basis of evidence, and no credibility.

As well, you say you step in to share these facts when a mum is struggling with breastfeeding. The OP doesn't appear to be struggling - she was just asking why the WHO recommendation was to breastfeed to 2 years. We have now had several really fantastic and intelligent responses to her question. Let's not get derailed.

Like I said, I am truly sorry beastfeeding did not work for you, and that you felt unsupported in your choice to stop. Passing on misinformation to other
    Mothers who do not wish to breastfeed is not going to help ease their guilt if they are feeling any, nor is it going to help support mothers who do wish to breastfeed get the help information and support they need.

I hope you manage to make peace with your decision, and i also hoe you can find a way to forgive other mums who want to breastfeed, and who want to support other mums who want to breastfeed

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

Areca  (26-01-2012),Berrie  (26-01-2012),Bubbles10  (26-01-2012),Etienne  (26-01-2012),headoverfeet  (26-01-2012),Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),share a book  (26-01-2012),twotrunks  (26-01-2012),wrena  (26-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sigh, another thread that seems to have been turned into FF vs BF

im really amazed at how much the BF rate drops. i wonder if this is accurate though? if i took a survey that asked at 6 months if my DS was fully/exclusively breastfed, i would answer no as he was onto solids at that age and having a fe sips of water with meals. in terms of milk feeds, he only ever had BM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Lessens osteoporosis. Non-breastfeeding women have a four times greater chance of developing osteoporosis than breastfeeding women and are more likely to suffer from hip fractures in the post-menopausal years.
    that suprised me. i kind of thought it would be the other way around, esp if the mother wasnt getting enough calcium in her diet. i kind of thought the BM would have the right enough of calcium and if it didnt come from 'food' it would come from the mothers body iykwim?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Your body absorbs calcium better when your pregnant/breastfeeding

Took the red pill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast