+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's always interesting to read this stuff about BF. I think we do have to be careful not to overstate the benefits though. While there are studies suggesting better immune function is linked to longer period of BFing, it doesn't mean a FF baby or a bub fully weaned onto food before 2 will be sickly.

I just thought I'd point that out because reading stuff like the above really hurt and worried me when I was giving up BF after 12 weeks. For the record, DD had 2 colds while breastfeeding and hasn't been sick once since we stopped.

To the original question - I would say that the WHO recommend BF because it's the normal and natural way to feed, which is always going to be the better option in most cases. Not all cases though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I find all this fascinating! I dearly wish I had been able to bf ds for longer but I am grateful I managed 7.5 months as I know many people who can't or won't do it at all. If I manage to get its again, I will be persisting with it for as long as I can again. Particularly after reading a thread like this which points out so many benefits I hadn't even thought about :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to happykat For This Useful Post:

starla  (27-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    It's always interesting to read this stuff about BF. I think we do have to be careful not to overstate the benefits though. While there are studies suggesting better immune function is linked to longer period of BFing, it doesn't mean a FF baby or a bub fully weaned onto food before 2 will be sickly.

I just thought I'd point that out because reading stuff like the above really hurt and worried me when I was giving up BF after 12 weeks. For the record, DD had 2 colds while breastfeeding and hasn't been sick once since we stopped.

To the original question - I would say that the WHO recommend BF because it's the normal and natural way to feed, which is always going to be the better option in most cases. Not all cases though.
    No one is overstating anything. The facts are the facts. You're right, just because a baby is FF doesn't mean they will be sickly, just like a BF baby isn't guaranteed to be healthy. The facts need to be out there. The breastfeeding stats in Aus are terribly low and a lot of people don't know this info. It's not out there to make those who can't/choose not to breastfeed feel bad.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (25-01-2012),headoverfeet  (25-01-2012),twotrunks  (26-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012),wrena  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...ding-oversold/

I'm not saying BF isn't the ideal and preferred way to feed. it's the normal way to feed so of course it's going to be beneficial and I would think any medical body would recommend the 'normal' or 'natural' way as a first preference.

Personally I have a measured approach to these things - yes it has benefits but I don't necessarily think it's as dramatic as some say it is.

ETA - I like the comment that we should focus on supporting mums who wish to BF for as long as they like. It should be supported and encouraged
    Last edited by Cue; 25-01-2012 at 16:53.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm not saying BF isn't the ideal and preferred way to feed. it's the normal way to feed so of course it's going to be beneficial and I would think any medical body would recommend the 'normal' or 'natural' way as a first preference.

Personally I have a measured approach to these things - yes it has benefits but I don't necessarily think it's as dramatic as some say it is.
    All that study is saying is that yes, breastfed babies are smarter, healthier, less likely ot be obese and etc, but we cant say for sure its from the breastfeeding or from the background in some instances.

We are mammals, we develop best when breastfed, which gives us continued immune and nutritional support in the most vulnerable stages of life - support that benefits us way down the line.

For example - women who were breastfed are lss likely to get breast cancer.

Children who were breastfed have better lung capacity as 10 year olds.

It's important stuff.

It's not about making anyone feel guilty and it's such a huge problem that we can't discuss this without it being interpreted in that way.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Areca  (26-01-2012),Etienne  (25-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Breastfeeding Advocacy and Formula Feeding Guilt
    http://www.drmomma.org/2011/06/breas...d-formula.html

Took the Red pill.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (25-01-2012),twotrunks  (26-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so now that I'm being accused of participating in some sort of pro-FF 'ploy' I will bow out. Quite offended actually, I thought this was pretty civil so far.

I never said there weren't benefits to BF, I think it should be encouraged and supported.

I was just making the point that you should have a critical eye with any research articles as nothing is black and white. I never said the benefits don't exist, just that it's wise to be cautious of over-stating these.

ETA - I just read more of that article and stopped when it started suggesting a mother should feel guilty for not BF, just as a mother should feel guilty for smoking or drinking!! Wow.
    Last edited by Cue; 25-01-2012 at 17:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you took it personally.

I myself think the danger is more underestimating the protective effects of breastfeeding, as they are numerous, well-established, and complex. We don't even understand them all yet.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (25-01-2012),headoverfeet  (25-01-2012),Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),MilkingMaid  (25-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012),wrena  (25-01-2012)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

ETA - I like the comment that we should focus on supporting mums who wish to BF for as long as they like. It should be supported and encouraged
    This logic escapes me. It's kind of like saying "Lets not overstate the benefits of walking on two legs" Um, it's what humans do, and what we are specifically built to do!

As though we would somehow upset people who have to use wheelchairs or something....

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (25-01-2012),Etienne  (25-01-2012),headoverfeet  (25-01-2012),Mezmerised  (26-01-2012),TheseBoysMumma  (25-01-2012),twotrunks  (26-01-2012),Witwicky  (25-01-2012),wrena  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's unfortunate but I guess inevitable that you can't talk about the benefits of full term breastfeeding without making mothers who cannot or choose not to breastfeed feel guilty. That certainly wasn't my intention in answering this thread. The way I see it, knowledge is power and rather than dismiss or belittle the mountains of research that indicate the substantial health and cognitive benefits of breastmilk, I think it's useful to examine the data and see how some of those benefits can be gained through, for example, supplementing with appropriate EFAs.I can understand that it's hard not to take it personally and get defensive. I haven't been very well for the past few weeks and haven't been able to connect with my daughter in the way I'd like to. I love reading books on neurobiology and as they inevitably talk about the crucial importance of connection and contingent responsiveness in infancy for healthy neural development. Reading this information has made me feel guilty that I'm not providing that for my DD. It doesn't make me think that I'm a bad mother or that she'd be better off having a different mother, but I can't deny that the current situation is not optimal for her and have had to ask my partner to take time off to give her the joyful responsiveness that she thrives on.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast