+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On the vitamin point, that would only apply where the mother was getting enough vitamins herself wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure I read that BF babies were showing a vit D deficiency because so many mums are lacking? So you could argue that if a toddler has a balanced diet their nutritional needs would be met - but I have no idea if that's true, just curious if anyone has looked in to BF with a vitamin deficient mother versus a food based diet.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a bit off topic but It is amazing how many people give their toddlers 'toddler formula' in a bottle or sippy cup (to support their immune system as that stupid ad says) but giving a child breast milk that is low in sugar and designed specifically for their individual nutritional needs is wrong???

Why not give your child the best milk available if you are ABLE to??

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to threechooks For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (25-01-2012),Gandalf  (24-01-2012),laurea  (27-01-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (25-01-2012),trishalishous  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    On the vitamin point, that would only apply where the mother was getting enough vitamins herself wouldn't it? I'm pretty sure I read that BF babies were showing a vit D deficiency because so many mums are lacking? So you could argue that if a toddler has a balanced diet their nutritional needs would be met - but I have no idea if that's true, just curious if anyone has looked in to BF with a vitamin deficient mother versus a food based diet.
    It amazes me what mother nature has given us! Even with the poorest diet (think 3rd world) baby is provided for

As for food based diet, by 2 most would have 3 meals and 2 snacks as a minimum with milk and water on top of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I breastfed DS1 until he self weaned at 2 years 9 months. He'll be turning 4 in march and I can honestly say he has pretty much never been sick. He has vomited twice in his life, both one offs and felt perfectly fine while the rest of us were sick as dogs and the one time he had a runny nose it lasted two hours.
    It has done his immune system the world of good.
    I plan to feed all my kids until they wean, or if I end up weaning I wouldn't do it before age 3.
    (mind you ten week old DS2 is currently an 8.5kg whopper so by that stage he'll probably look like a grown man! Lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cue, I thought we mainly got vitamin d from the sun (mums and bf bubs included), and in Australia it wasn't a major problem as we only need a small amount of sun exposure to get enough? The only case I have heard of vitamin d deficiency being an issue was when a toddler was weaned onto a vegan diet. Vitamin d deficiency can be a problem in darker skinned populations in colder climates - but this is for everyone not just bf babies

I'd be interested in reading the article on vit d deficiency in bf bubs where mum is deficient - do you know where I could find a good one?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

Chew the Mintie  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ml/context/204
    Apparently 1 in 3 mothers are vitamin D deficient and yes if you don't get enough sun or eat vitamin D rich or fortified foods or take supplements your baby won't get it either , my naturopath had me give DS cod liver oil drops since he was born

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, it may interest you to know that 2/3 of Aussie toddlers have an insufficient intake of omega fatty acids.

one of the richest sources of these most vital nutrients?

Human breastmilk.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (25-01-2012),threechooks  (25-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ml/context/204
    Apparently 1 in 3 mothers are vitamin D deficient and yes if you don't get enough sun or eat vitamin D rich or fortified foods or take supplements your baby won't get it either , my naturopath had me give DS cod liver oil drops since he was born
    Incredibly rare.

Vit D deficiency in women in Australia mostly occurs in dark-skinned women who wear head coverings etc.

The best solution here is to fortify the mother and rectify her deficiency, not supplement the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Incredibly rare.

Vit D deficiency in women in Australia mostly occurs in dark-skinned women who wear head coverings etc.

The best solution here is to fortify the mother and rectify her deficiency, not supplement the baby.
    Where did you get the info that's it's rare? I know lots of mums that my naturopath treats that only discovered they had low vitamin D when they became pregnant? My SIL is also a naturopath and she said vit D and iron are what she is seeing low in kids and adults ( more women then men)

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.gghjournal.com/volume22/4/ab17.cfm

The most prominent regions of origin were people from the Indian subcontinent (37%), Africa (33%), the Middle East (11%). There were only 5 white Australian children (4%).
    (above is referring to rickets. The whtie children also had less symptoms)

All mothers were Vit D deficient.