+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mater Mothers Private Brisbane?

Hi, We are TTC #2 and i am wanting any info on mater private. I just did the virtual tour online and it looks really nice and birth suites look like there is the possibility of a water birth?

Any feedback/info appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    The MMPH doesn't allow water births

http://brochures.mater.org.au/Home/B...sion-in-labour

You can labour in the bath, but you're meant to get out prior to birth...
    You're also encouraged to hop out every 2 hours.

I have had both DS & DD at the MMPH - with #3 is due in may.
    Loved it there!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm looking at going to Mater too and would love to hear about it.
    What were the midwives like? (though I know this can change with shift) Was it midwife lead or centred around what the OB says? Were the midwives supportive?
    Is continuous care offered? And was after birth care followed up?
    Did you feel you could bring what you wanted to the room for birth (music, food, fitball etc)?
    Did you feel pressured to move along in labour or were they supportive of a natural progression?
    Do they restrict who can come to the birth? can you have a private midwife or doula there?
    Was privacy and your wishes respected?

I know a lot of questions and many can be answered from calling them, but I have found what some hospitals promise and what they actually can do differ. A personal experience generally sheds more light.

I hope we get some answers PuppyGuts

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LilliBane For This Useful Post:

PuppyGuts  (22-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll come back and answer in depth - once I get these two sleeping lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hurry up!!!! lol i wonder if i was in the bath laboring what would happen if i just ....didnt get out? I reaaalllly like the hospital. Only real other on shortlist is birth centre at RBWH

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    No water births.

The birthing suites are shared between public and private. The difference only really becomes apparent in recovery.

I personally had a bad experience with my midwife for the begining and majority of my sons birth. She was the one in charge and didn't normally deal with patients. You could tell. Told me nothing, didn't discuss or help me. Just stood at her station and when I asked is there anything I can be doing she said 'no'.

BUT the facility was good, the other midwife was good, and I managed a vaginal birth without having to argue, even though I had a private ob as a private patient, with a complicated birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm booked into MMPH and will no doubt go there for the rest of our children. Unfortunately, I'm not covered by private health insurance so it's costing us a little fortune for the hospital fees and OB. I haven't had any personal experience with MMPH but my DF has and he says that the care is fantastic!

I would be very interested in reading more on care during the birth...
    I've heard a lot from family and online about the care after the birth but I'm interested to know more about the midwives. I doubt I'm going to want any music but I have been that eating is perfectly fine. If it wasn't I'll make sure I do everything I can to annoy them and make life difficult until they bring me food. I get very cranky when I'm hungry... never mind being pregnant, in labour and hungry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaisyVB For This Useful Post:

LilliBane  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll start with the labours themselves, then answer the questions :P

DS - EDD 27th March 2010, I was induced on the 16th of March with the gel at 8pm-ish at night due to toxemia. I was kept over night on the 12th floor. On the 17th at 8am my OB came to check me and i was 3 cms, he performed a Stretch and Sweep - the contractions kicked in hard core. As he was my first baby of course I wasn't going to have a quick labour . I spent 8 am to 11am labouring hardcore on the 12th floor as they had no birthing rooms available. The midwives up on the 12th were lovely.
    When they were taking me to the suite, i had to stop every second minute for a contraction - oh the joys.
    When i was in the room, i had a senior mw, and a student (whom i allowed, have no issue people have to learn somehow ) My ob who is in the Mater Private across the road, was just finishing his appointment.
    I had the gas and I just wanted to sleep so asked for the epidural, by the time the guy got there to do it, i saw the needle and freaked! I had to push.
    Now my waters hadn't broken, they were broken 5 minutes before he was born. My OB just got there in time to see DS coming out
    OB was kept informed however during the entire thing.

DD - EDD 9th April 2011 - went into spontaneous labour on the 28th of March at 9 am. We rocked up to the hospital at midday.
    I was shown a room and left in there with DH and Gran and the midwife. I was checked, upon admission i was 5 cms, waters and head ready to come on out - basically as soon as my waters broke, she was coming.
    DDs birth was calmer, the mw offered me gas, the shower - i was content with lying on the bed, going in and out of a trance. DH tried to sing, i hit him
    I spent 30 minutes trying to convince the mw to break my waters, as I just wanted her out - was kinda getting over it. She was getting ready to, and well they broke on their own, DD was born 7 minutes later. My OB well, he now believes me that I have quick labours
    I didn't mind he wasn't there.

*What were the midwives like? (though I know this can change with shift) - Loved the midwives both times. as with any place, you can get lovely ones and horrible ones. I was happy both times.

*Was it midwife lead or centred around what the OB says? Were the midwives supportive? - Midwives are very supportive. My OB wasn't there for DDs and just made DSs so it was the mws doing everything really.

*Is continuous care offered? And was after birth care followed up? - Not 100% sure what you mean (sick DS and DD teething means mummy has no sleep )

*Did you feel you could bring what you wanted to the room for birth (music, food, fitball etc)? - Didn't really have any time - but yes, music, food etc is all allowed.

*Did you feel pressured to move along in labour or were they supportive of a natural progression? - No I pressured them! lol. They were amazing.

*Do they restrict who can come to the birth? can you have a private midwife or doula there? - I can't answer that, I didn't have a private mw or doula. I had Hubby and my grandmother

*Was privacy and your wishes respected? - Yes

My overall labouring time in the suites was for both under an hour. So hopefully someone who spent more time in there can help answer. lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chocolate All Gone Now For This Useful Post:

LilliBane  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS2 at MMPH and was very happy with my care. I was looking forward to going back there with DS3 but we moved.

I'm looking at going to Mater too and would love to hear about it.
    What were the midwives like? (though I know this can change with shift) I was happy with my midwife - she was with me for almost all my labour. Was it midwife lead or centred around what the OB says? She was in regular contact with my ob. Were the midwives supportive? Yes she was supportive but not overly forthcoming with different positions etc to help with pain.

Is continuous care offered? Yes - by my ob team And was after birth care followed up? Not sure what you mean. THe obs visited me every day of my stay afterwards and I had a follow up appointment at 6 weeks. Also saw the physio for stomach separation.

Did you feel you could bring what you wanted to the room for birth (music, food, fitball etc)? Yes - I took my own fitball as their info didn't say they had any - they had plenty. There was also a relaxing cd already in the player. No probs with food either.

Did you feel pressured to move along in labour or were they supportive of a natural progression? No pressure (my obs support midwife led birth).

Do they restrict who can come to the birth? can you have a private midwife or doula there? I was considering a doula and she had worked with other obs there. I think it is more your obs opinion rather than a hospital thing.

Was privacy and your wishes respected? Yes.

There are lovely long baths there (not round spa bath types) and I'm pretty sure they had jets and a shower head (I may be mixing up the bath with the one I had at a dif hospital in october). They encourage water for pain relief but there are conflicting stories as to whether you have to get out when your waters break.

My post birth stay was fantastic. I had one of the best rooms with views of the river and could see from the story bridge all the way to the west and mt cootha (great views for BFing). It was my second baby and yet I wasn't left alone and I had lots of help with BFing issues. The midwives came in with warm blankets to wrap around DS2 to help settle him. The food was delicious (especially morning and afternoon teas).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrmoosmum For This Useful Post:

LilliBane  (24-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the detail
    For the after care I meant the 6 week check up - and sounds like that was done
    After my stillbirth they checked me the next day and then I never heard from them again even though they said they would (different hospital)

Can I ask who was your OB's? I have an appointment with Brenda Biggs and so far have heard good reports.

Oh and is hubby allowed to stay with you overnight after birth?

Thanks again ladies - I am in for a very high risk pregnancy and this is making me fell better