Funny.. I just sent a friend my list of good and bad things. This is what I sent her.. (not all of these things I actually purchased though)
Waste of money things:
· A bumbo seat
· Baby bath (I found it easier to take baby into bath with me)
· Regular muslin wraps like the dimples ones (they are just too small)
· Car capsule – they are only in a capsule for such a short time, better to go a convertible seat
· Nipple shields
· Baby powder
· Baby moisturiser
· Nappy bag (they are so heavy, then after you fill them with all the crap! Better off with a light weight bag, I used a satchel which I bought from officeworks! )
· Jolly jumper
I also had my Good things list:
- change table that sits over the cot, used this until DS could stand up, then moved it on top of his chest of drawers. Still use it for every nappy change
· Swinging chair (like fisher price power plus swing.. this was the best for us because it was up off the ground and we have small dogs). Great to move bubs around teh house/into backyard with you in it
· Cot mobile (never would have thought it would have been so good)
· Cot bumper (yes, I know they are not SIDS recom)
· Flannelette cot sheets (especially fitted sheet because nice and warm when you place baby down compared to cotton sheets)
· At least one or two spare change mat covers
· The oval AVENT teething ring (blue and white)
· Anything with lights and music
· Baby monitor but if your walls are brick you might get a LOT of static and interference. Check reviews before buying.
· We used the baby fence/gate stuff to make a shield around the gas heater in winter time
· Nappy wallet change mat all in one. I bought one from Big W for about $12 and still use it today. It’s great.
I also previously bought an expensive one online and when it arrived it was really small. So you could only get babies bum on it once bub was anything bigger than newborn. This is terrible if you are in a shopping centre and using a public change mat. You want to have something that the baby does not stick out over the edges. My friend had a good one that I saw in Peters of Kensington that was Hop Skip Jump brand and about $60, It was the same as my big W one but with pretty stripes. Mine is black.