+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Funny.. I just sent a friend my list of good and bad things. This is what I sent her.. (not all of these things I actually purchased though)

Waste of money things:
    · A bumbo seat
    · Baby bath (I found it easier to take baby into bath with me)
    · Regular muslin wraps like the dimples ones (they are just too small)
    · Car capsule – they are only in a capsule for such a short time, better to go a convertible seat
    · Nipple shields
    · Baby powder
    · Baby moisturiser
    · Nappy bag (they are so heavy, then after you fill them with all the crap! Better off with a light weight bag, I used a satchel which I bought from officeworks! )
    · Jolly jumper

I also had my Good things list:
    - change table that sits over the cot, used this until DS could stand up, then moved it on top of his chest of drawers. Still use it for every nappy change
    · Swinging chair (like fisher price power plus swing.. this was the best for us because it was up off the ground and we have small dogs). Great to move bubs around teh house/into backyard with you in it
    · Cot mobile (never would have thought it would have been so good)
    · Cot bumper (yes, I know they are not SIDS recom)
    · Flannelette cot sheets (especially fitted sheet because nice and warm when you place baby down compared to cotton sheets)
    · At least one or two spare change mat covers
    · The oval AVENT teething ring (blue and white)
    · Anything with lights and music
    · Baby monitor but if your walls are brick you might get a LOT of static and interference. Check reviews before buying.
    · We used the baby fence/gate stuff to make a shield around the gas heater in winter time
    · Nappy wallet change mat all in one. I bought one from Big W for about $12 and still use it today. It’s great.
    I also previously bought an expensive one online and when it arrived it was really small. So you could only get babies bum on it once bub was anything bigger than newborn. This is terrible if you are in a shopping centre and using a public change mat. You want to have something that the baby does not stick out over the edges. My friend had a good one that I saw in Peters of Kensington that was Hop Skip Jump brand and about $60, It was the same as my big W one but with pretty stripes. Mine is black.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Wonderful thread for first time mums - subscribing!

Surprised to hear a lot of people thought the nappy disposal thing was useless, looked like the best invention ever when I saw it in shops! What do you do with the nappies, just through them straight into outside bin?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Wonderful thread for first time mums - subscribing!

Surprised to hear a lot of people thought the nappy disposal thing was useless, looked like the best invention ever when I saw it in shops! What do you do with the nappies, just through them straight into outside bin?
    I also think the nappy disposal bin was useless, I only used it once and was not impressed. I just put the dirty nappies in a scented nappy bag and put in the bin. It doesn't smell and we just make sure we empty it more often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I actually bought a very bare minimum but didn't use a lot of things that were given to me including:

1,000,000 x Johnsons and Johnsons products
    Thing you put in the doorway for baby to jump in
    A steriliser (I never even mentioned any intent to go near a bottle/dummy but was given one anyway)
    Disposable bibs

My change table was a lifesaver for me, or backsaver, as someone with back problems. I used it daily just about until DS was toilet trained. Bending on bed/floor would have killed my back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm loving reading what people use and dont. It's amazing seeing the differences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Such variation!!!! Really shows every baby and parent is so different.

In the house - waste of money:
    Bumbo (seriously, ds cried every time I tried to get him to sit in there!)
    Wraps (little Houdini refused to be wrapped)
    Breast pump (I only bf for a week)
    Cheapo baby carrier (hurts the back)
    Foam cot mattress
    0000 clothes - ds went straight into 000 and was only in them for 3 - 4 weeks.

And best investments:
    Change table
    Pram
    Cot & good innerspring mattress
    Bottles
    Swing
    Bouncer
    Square cloth nappies - to use as chuck rags!
    Sophie the giraffe (worth the money IMO but not needed for a newborn)

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!
    Last edited by blissfulfairy; 24-01-2012 at 09:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Leto View Post
    I also think the nappy disposal bin was useless, I only used it once and was not impressed. I just put the dirty nappies in a scented nappy bag and put in the bin. It doesn't smell and we just make sure we empty it more often.
    I love my nappy bin, but then again mine isn't one of those ones that uses a cassette of wrapping things. Mine has a flip lid and you use regular bin liners in it. Best thing I ever had bought for me.

Sent from my GT540 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    For all the first time mummies reading this, find out if there is a local parent and baby unit nearby and use them. I went on the day after we got out of hospital cause I had feeding issues and then we went back when my ds was 3 weeks old to get some settling tips and it was a godsend!!