+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Great thread, there are some truly beautiful experiences.

My favourites would have to be:

Sleeping over at grandmas and choosing to sleep in the bean bag rather than on the bed, then going to church together in the morning

Until my dad met his new partner, my brother and I each got a "special day" once a year. This was outside of birthdays or any other occasion. Dad would take us out of school for the day just to be together - doing whatever we chose to do. I remember thinking about it all year and then as soon as it happened thinking about what I could do for the next one!

When I was in year 7, and had my first boyfriend, my dad took me to a florist and bought me flowers. He said he wanted to be the first boy to buy me flowers.

My mum always made birthdays magical and special. I have very fond memories.

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkzy View Post
    Also, there was a time when I was about 10 that I told my dad I felt fat and ugly. He took me into my room and stood me in front of the mirror. He then said to me "see that girl in the mirror? she's the most beautiful, unique, wonderful girl on the planet...so don't you ever call her fat or ugly again, because it's not true" ♥.
    I am going to remember this. What a beautiful thing to say.

Mummy & Daddy - expanding our family! Our little man born April 2011 and now expecting another munchkin in August 2012! Loving it!!!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blissfulfairy For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (21-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spideysmummy View Post
    Great thread, there are some truly beautiful experiences.

My favourites would have to be:

Sleeping over at grandmas and choosing to sleep in the bean bag rather than on the bed, then going to church together in the morning

Until my dad met his new partner, my brother and I each got a "special day" once a year. This was outside of birthdays or any other occasion. Dad would take us out of school for the day just to be together - doing whatever we chose to do. I remember thinking about it all year and then as soon as it happened thinking about what I could do for the next one!

When I was in year 7, and had my first boyfriend, my dad took me to a florist and bought me flowers. He said he wanted to be the first boy to buy me flowers.

My mum always made birthdays magical and special. I have very fond memories.

Also, there was a time when I was about 10 that I told my dad I felt fat and ugly. He took me into my room and stood me in front of the mirror. He then said to me "see that girl in the mirror? she's the most beautiful, unique, wonderful girl on the planet...so don't you ever call her fat or ugly again, because it's not true" ♥.
    Both of those Dad stories are so beautiful!!! My Dad wasn't like that at all, so it's lovely to read stories like that

There was a 'write a poem about your mum' for Mothers Day contest at school when I was in year 7. So I wrote a poem and entered it without telling mum. Anyway all of the poems were put on the local newsagent board at the shops...one afternoon mum was out shopping and saw it She came straight home, ran up to me while I was doing homework, grabbed me and hugged me crying for about 10 minutes before giving me a chocolate bar she'd bought me LOL. My poem ended up winning and I won a box of Roses chocolates, which I gave to mum for Mothers Day. She still has several copies of the poem at home in different places as she never wants to lose it .
    Omg that's so sweet!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What a lovely thread!

Before I say a memory, I just wanted to say that it is funny that three of the stories that have touched me the most have been about the strange sort of friendship/aquantance a child has made in an adult. Two with "random old men" and one with a teacher. It makes you stop and wonder doesn't it. I was taught a lot about stranger danger and how to close up from anyone different talking to me. I wasn't even allowed to go inside neighbours houses unless I had siblings or my parents with me, even though we were a close neighbourhood. So i would have never dared to ask a man for flowers, or talk to the crossing guard, or to emotionally let in a teacher. And yet look at those stories being told of how these events with a stranger has had such a lasting impact on you three! Makes me stop to think.

I have so many loving memories from my childhood. I guess overall, my Dad was always there to talk to and to play with. I didn't realise that this was a special quality, I just figured all Dads were so available. Every afternoon and weekend he was taking us places, doing things with us or just playing in the pool and yard with us etc. He was a Dad to 4 girls but we spent avos playing cricket and wrestling, going for bike rides etc. If he went somewhere, he would always say "so who's going to come and keep me company??" even if he was meeting with friends or going off to play sport, he would always take at least one of us along for the car ride, chat, and to hang out with him. We knew all his friends and not once did I ever feel like I was not welcome. We never had to "ask" Dad to come outside and play a game. He would be the one asking us to hurry up and finish breakfast so we could go to the beach etc. My Mum was lovely and hands on, but she also had arthritis and other auto immune problems, so I didn't realise it at the time but Dad was always so active and taking us out so that she could sleep and recover all the time. We would always take picked flowers or yummy market food back for her. Not once did he ever complain or act like it was a chore to let his wife recover from a big day or event, and not once did we ever feel like a burdan or that Dad needed time out. To me, being so sheltered from all of that is the best memory that I didn't even realise was so special until becoming a Mum with health problems myself.

Another one is that when I was 11? and becoming hormonal, I would tear up easily. Mum would hate it and get frustrated at me. One day I was bawling my eyes out into my pillow and my Dad came in to see why. I felt terrible as I explained that I didn't actually know why I was so sad and expected to be told off like Mum had done. He didn't. He just laughed and said "you don't need a reason to be sad! If you feel sad, have a good cry. That always makes you feel better. Don't feel like you need to explain to anyone why you feel how you feel, just let it out and pick yourself back up again when you feel good" Then he kissed me on my head and said "have a good cry darling, I love you" and left my room. (and yes, I bawled my eyes out. Realised I felt fine and went out and played again lol).

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012),Pinkzy  (21-01-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have very fond memories of my sister and I always being together.

She would reach over the top bunch and I would reach up from the bottom bunk and we would hold hands until we fall asleep. Your arms used to go numb, but we both refused to let go until we were alseep and our hands just fall apart.

Whoever woke up first would wake the other one up bu stroking their forehead and moving their fringe off their face.

If I used to have bad dreams she would sing to me until I feel back to sleep.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Uniquey , thanks again for starting this thread, on my way home this afternoon I drove DS past my nans fairy park and just starting telling him how soon when he starts to walk ill take him down to find some fairies at nanas park - he is 15 months and has no idea what im probably saying but kept just saying nana while we were sitting in the car - he calls my mum that but it made me feel like my nan was watching us!

Elijahs Mum, that was lovely of you to say and what a blessed little boy you have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There was a 'write a poem about your mum' for Mothers Day contest at school when I was in year 7. So I wrote a poem and entered it without telling mum. Anyway all of the poems were put on the local newsagent board at the shops...one afternoon mum was out shopping and saw it She came straight home, ran up to me while I was doing homework, grabbed me and hugged me crying for about 10 minutes before giving me a chocolate bar she'd bought me LOL. My poem ended up winning and I won a box of Roses chocolates, which I gave to mum for Mothers Day. She still has several copies of the poem at home in different places as she never wants to lose it .
    Aww, that's gorgeous!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Isn't interesting how so many of the memories on here feature 'Dads'.

Thank you to EACH and EVERYONE of you whom have so far shared your feel good memories, I have read each and every word of the posts and they just bring such to my heart and I know others on here too.

As a few posters have noted on here, it really makes you stop and think, and that it really IS the little things that can mean so much and have lasting impacts on us.