+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh Witwicky, I envy your idyllic time in Indonesia, what an adventure for children, not to mention delicious food.

I thought of some more too:

Driving to a wedding in Cairns from Brisbane and en route stopping in pubs etc to eat lunch (early 80's), and everytime we stopped, my Dad would give me some coins so I could go over to those Juke box's that used to pull up the singles and I got to choose whatever songs I wanted and blast out the whole lunch section of the Pub. I thought I was it and a bit!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ToughLove View Post
    Oh my goodness so many. I'm not going to flood the thread, I'm going to think through all of my memories and find the ones that are best.

The first one that popped to mind that when I was 12, my school's crossing guard told me he was retiring and he was very glad that I'd been such a good friend to him for so long.
    He'd been a crossing man since I started school, I loved talking to him and he was truly a fantastic guy. He was about 80, very white hair, very frail looking, but I remember that he rode his bike to work every day, from a distance which would have been about an hour's ride every single day.

I would save half of my lunchtime snack for him, Mum was a housewife and made excellent baked goods, so it was always little blueberry muffins or something. On the way home I'd give him half of my snack and we'd talk, and he'd tell me stories about when he was a boy and the town was only 10 houses and a bank.

Anyway, this went on for about 7 years, and one day he told me he was retiring, but he'd always remember how nice I was to him and all our great conversations.
    He gave me a gift and a hug and said if I ever wanted to visit him to ask the school for his address and visit with my Dad or Mum.

I unwrapped the box and it was a book, but I didn't read it right away or even read the blurb. I set it aside and it was by and by forgotten. Mum and Dad were always too busy to take me to see him, but I wrote him letters and gave them to the school and they said they'd send them along for me. I got the address and it was always "We'll take you on the weekend. Next weekend. Next weekend"

A year after, I was bored and ill so I was going through my bookshelf, and I came across the book he'd given me. I had nothing else, so I sat down with it and was instantly entranced.
    Turns out it was The Fellowship of the Ring, and a limited edition, limited print worth quite a lot. But I didn't know, or care, about the worth because I finished it in a day, read it again, and could not believe what I was reading. It was simply the best book I'd ever read and basically had me enraptured.

I cashed in my "early birthday present" card and begged my parents to buy the next two in the series, read those, I read the entire series about three times over in a month.

Then I remembered, oh my god, Ken gave these to me. i have to go see him now and thank him. I would never have found these if it wasn't for him. I was riled up, baked him some sugar cookies, picked some flowers and stuffed it all in the basket of my bike, found the address in the melways, bicycled to his house and fairly pranced up the driveway full of sunshine and happiness.

Well his wife and I had a great talk and a cry together, he'd retired because he was dying of cancer. He died a month after he left his job and she said he got two of my letters, but she kept the rest.

It doesn't sound like a feel good story, but my memories of our talks together, and the stalker-level obession it gave me with classical literature and Tolkien have provided me with so many years of happiness. I've read the lord of the rings countless times since then {actually, I know the total number but no torture will ever wring it out of me} and I always remember Ken when I do.
    Gosh, that was beautiful!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (21-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Toughlove, that was really beautiful, wow

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tough love that is one of the most beautiful stories I have ever read, I can fully imagine that being made into a movie with the opening scene of you now at this age reading it to your children and have flashbacks to all those wonderful memories of such a lovely spirited man.
    Brings a tear to my eyes.
    Thank you for sharing that x

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    A lot of my childhood was kinda traumatic living with my alcoholic father, and he and my mum fighting all the time, but the silver lining was that I made great friends with a family who moved into the area with 4 kids, and I spent so much time at their place I almost became another kid.

We would swim in the creek, trying to avoid the slimy eels!! Bike races, trampoline games, wandering off in the bush to go camping, and trying to find a cow to milk! Driving the tractor, picking zucchinis, trick or treating being part of the 'gang' I'm so thankful they were in my life, and their parents were so accepting of me

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My fondest memories are of the week before xmas....rellies would arrive, presents would appear and the last food shop before chrissy was so much fun!! buying bon bon, and cans of softdrink we were never allowed. Spending so much time in the pool!

Long drives with my parents, i remember driving to Vic from bris and dad saying " keep your eyes peeled for kangaroos!" and me saying "how do you peel your eyes?" still a running joke in family. And having a hire care and falling asleep and waking up to find we had been pulled over for speeding but thinking it was because mum and dad were smoking and getting hysterical telling them to put there smokes out and thinking we were going to jail. Still get teased lol

Being the "helper" for my father, handing out tickets at rallies or working on his bikes or making the coffees and doing the dishes at his work. Neer missing out on doing things because i was a "girl"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Uniquey , thanks again for starting this thread, on my way home this afternoon I drove DS past my nans fairy park and just starting telling him how soon when he starts to walk ill take him down to find some fairies at nanas park - he is 15 months and has no idea what im probably saying but kept just saying nana while we were sitting in the car - he calls my mum that but it made me feel like my nan was watching us!
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 21-01-2012 at 13:19.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012),Witwicky  (21-01-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Uniquey , thanks again for starting this thread, on my way home this afternoon I drove DS past my nans fairy park and just starting telling him how soon when he starts to walk ill take him down to find some fairies at nanas park - he is 15 months and has no idea what im probably saying but kept just saying nana while we were sitting in the car - he calls my mum that but it made me feel like my nan was watching us!
    Aww that's so lovely!

I love this thread because it has reminded me to enjoy the little moments with my kids so that we can create many beautiful memories

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    There was a 'write a poem about your mum' for Mothers Day contest at school when I was in year 7. So I wrote a poem and entered it without telling mum. Anyway all of the poems were put on the local newsagent board at the shops...one afternoon mum was out shopping and saw it She came straight home, ran up to me while I was doing homework, grabbed me and hugged me crying for about 10 minutes before giving me a chocolate bar she'd bought me LOL. My poem ended up winning and I won a box of Roses chocolates, which I gave to mum for Mothers Day. She still has several copies of the poem at home in different places as she never wants to lose it .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, there was a time when I was about 10 that I told my dad I felt fat and ugly. He took me into my room and stood me in front of the mirror. He then said to me "see that girl in the mirror? she's the most beautiful, unique, wonderful girl on the planet...so don't you ever call her fat or ugly again, because it's not true" ♥.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pinkzy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012),MuminMind  (21-01-2012),Witwicky  (21-01-2012)