+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The girl next door and I used to make up dances and preform them in the backyard using a sheet hung over the clothes line as the back drop. Our parents would be invited to watch our shows....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TulaBeanieBoy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (20-01-2012)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    Lovely memories, Sunnyflower, your hallway memory reminds me of the time Brisbane was having the black outs for weeks on end (Jo Bejelke Peterson times) and after dinner us kids would hide throughout the dark house and Dad would try and find us. It was scary and fun at the same time!
    Ah, the brown-outs - I think we could stand another round of those to get back to actually interacting with our families.

My Dad used to build me a teepee in the front yard and Mum would pack me a lunch box with vegemite sandwiches and green cordial and I would take my toys and books, and most importantly, my dog Lassie. We would just hang out. Sometimes my sister would be around, other times not. I also remember us *nursing* our chooks back to health by making beds out of tissues.....sadly we probably hastened their demise

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh uniquey.. Such precious memories!

I remember going to my pops house in the country and climbing the plum tree with my cousins and eating them until I felt sick...

My dad letting me sit on his shoulders while walking to get fish and chips..

Spending Hours in the backyard looking for creatures to keep in an empty container..

Going to my nans at Christmas and getting the piece of pudding with a penny in it..

The smell of my pops place, I remember it so clearly and it makes me smile every time..

Dipping yo-yos in cordial to be like mum!

Having a birthday and having a treasure hunt to find presents, each present came with a clue to find the next one..

Too many more to list.. Love it!!
    Last edited by DQ; 20-01-2012 at 23:48.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MZmama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    Ah, the brown-outs - I think we could stand another round of those to get back to actually interacting with our families.
    So, so true. No tv, no internet, candles, perfect for good old fashion fun and communication.

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I remember the smell of deep heat in the boys football change rooms ( mum was the manager on the team my brother played on, we were never in the shower section, just the seats where the boys put the shirts and boots on. Made me feel special as I was the only girl allowed in. Was special little family time.

I remember playing hide and seek and climbing to the top of the linen cupboard and putting blankets on top of me so I couldn't be found... Wasn't until the police found me that I realized I shouldn't hide quiet so well... I'd fallen asleep so did not hear my family calling out for me.

I remember the excitement of wearing our togs to school under our uniforms, so when we got home we would dump our bikes, uniforms and bags in the driveway and run straight to the pool... Even though it was a small above ground pool we thought it was the best.

I remember the trail of notes with clues on them for my birthday,
    I woke up and went and jumped in bed with mum... She handed me a card with the first note... Led me everywhere from the bathroom to the chest freezer, even out to the back shed I believe... It landed me back in mums room where she presented me with a giant pink Barbie motor home... Gosh I was the happiest kid in the world back then.

I am going to do that for my boys next birthday (maybe replace the motor home with something else.lol)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    MZ, Are your Yo, Yo's something different to what I am thinking of?

As I am imagining you dunking a round, plastic toy with string in your cordial to and I have a feeling that's not what you meant?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    That's a beautiful story, op
    Growing up, we lived on a street where everyone was friends and across the road was a gorgeous, older widow. She was a huge support to my mum, my bro and I were welcome to pop over whenever we liked and I'd pop over for hours and admire her plastic fruit and chenille bedspread and talk her ear off. We're from a European background and this woman gave my mum recipes that we'd never tried, like silverside and slices that we still make to this day. She died when I was 17.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-Uniquey  (21-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Love your stories Mystical Mummy.

Riiiiight.. there. Where I'm pointing. See it?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we had this big backyard at our first place. it had this bit in the middle which to us as kids was like a jungle, and another jungly bit down the side of the house and outside the livingroom window. right down the back was a tree we used to climb and it had this big rock in front of it.
    the property was on a slope and a few times mum and dad set up a water slide down the back yard with tarps and a paddling pool at the bottom, with the hose and a bit of detergent to make it slippery.
    also there was an awesome space underneath the house we used to play in. and dad built a chair and stuff in there. he also built us a sandpit under cover at the back of the enormous garage, which we took the hose in sometimes. and he dug the trampoline into the ground in the same undercover area so that it wasn't miles off the ground.

i also have a vague half-memory of being.. must've been 3.. so my brother would've been 1.. and we ran into the kitchen to feel mum's tummy (she was pregnant with our sister) and then ran back to the living room to play. but i don't know if that's a memory or something i was told.

i have few memories before the age of about 10 so i'm pretty lucky to have those.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeee For This Useful Post:

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Baking bread with my Nan
    Watching wheel of fortune with my pop, or playing scrabble
    Playing "horses" and burying ourselves in clover
    Having green feet from running around after the lawns had been cut
    The greasy smell of my dad's ute with the squeaky door
    Home made, black plastic slip and slide
    Always feeling safe in the ocean If my dad was with me
    The bumpy tractor ride down to the dam for a swim
    Watching Nan crochet
    Sleeping over at nan and pop's and pop making me a boiled egg with soldiers and warm milk if I couldn't sleep
    Reading Enid blyton books in bed at night with my touch lamp on
    The few times we got picked up from school and didn't have to catch the bus!
    Driving overnight to queensland and learning all about bananas and sugar cane from my dad on the way while everybody else slept
    The smell of fresh picked vine tomatoes when they tumbled down the tomato sorter

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post: