+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Weaning @ 15 months

I am pregnant with number two and after a big breakdown today I have decided that apart from a morning feed, I will now stop feeding DS back to sleep at night. He is relying so much on boob it's hard to function.
    After a month I will wean him off the morning feed too.
    I'm heading towards depression with my serious sleep deprivation and feel
    It's time to put my sanity first.

If any of you have experiences or hugs you want to share I'll greatly appreciate them when I cry myself to sleep in the middle of the night while my husband tries to settle DS.
    This is going to be hard.
    Thank you ladies, you have always been a huge support to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I fell pregnant with number 2 my DD was about 12 months. We cut back to one booby feed at night before bedtime. We started giving her a sippy cup of water when she woke up in the night which was down to once at that stage anyway. Wasn't long before she decided that a drink of water was a waste of sleep time & stopped waking up. We never let her cry & always went to her. Having said that though she never was a big booby monster apart from insisting on sleeping attached to my boob for her day naps for the first 12 months. She self weaned from the bedtime feed herself. Not sure I had much milk going on by then anyway. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well first of all hugs. It's such a big decision to wean and it sounds like you're making a good decision for your family.

I night weaned my DD by doing precisely what you just said - sending DH into settle. Can I ask how many nights it's been? Give it time and it'll hopefully get better. Keep reminding yourself that a few nights or even weeks of interruptions in the night while your DH settles him will be worth it in the long run.

I hope it happens quickly and smoothly so you can all get sone rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, tonight's the first night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your DD will be ok. She's lucky to have had all night access to boob for 15 months. You will all be appreciating the extra sleep soon I'm sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi October. As PP have mentioned, congratulations on getting to 15 months. You've done so well. Big decision to wean, and you will be both be OK. I'm also in the process of night weaning DS, who was frequently waking looking for food. It wasn't as bad as what I imagined, and he is now easily able to be settled with a cuddle and pat back to sleep (still wakes frequently, but may be not as often). Good luck for tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much girls, fingers crossed I make it through the night without buckling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did your first night go?

I weaned at 12 months - 2 weeks before I went back to full time work. I got sick & weaned over 48 hours (my milk dried up suddenly). I had planned to gradually reduce feeds & keep twice a day going, but that didn't quite happen! I was shocked & relieved for the first week or two, then super relieved when I went back to full time work and I didn't need to worry about waking bub before I left for work & rushing home from work to feed at the end of the day. But, my biggest relief was that once I weaned my dh took over all of the overnight settling. I found the overnight settling extremely difficult & frustrating and I felt SO much better when I didn't have to do that! Cause previously there was no point in dh doing it cause invariably our ds wanted a BF and my dh couldn't provide that .

I think you've done well to last til 15 months and I do think it's the best thing for you as you're pregnant. I know there's no way I could be feeding another bub when I'm pregnant - the first trimester knocks me for six! Get some rest, don't feel guilty and know that it will work out fine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sending you big hugs, and hope that you made it through night 1 ok? I attempted night weaning a few times before we were actually successful! DS was a massive booby addict, and the first few times it took many nights of listening to lots of crying while my DP settled him back off to sleep. We would have success for a week or so, then DS would get sick so I would give him unrestricted booby access and we'd end up night feeding every night again!

Once Christmas was all over, I told DS (16 months) as I was putting him to bed that he was big enough not to have booby when its dark anymore, and that once the sun comes up & the birds are singing he can have booby again. He slept through the night!! I was blown away! Each night for a week I just reminded him as I put him to bed that there would be no booby until morning, and it has worked for us this time. If he does wake up we just give him a cuddle, a drink of water in a cup and remind him that its dark & its time to sleep. In a month we have gone from 5-6 feeds in 24hrs to just morning & night, which is nice as I am finally able to get some sleep!!

It is hard, but you will get there! Be gentle on yourself! xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LizMel View Post
    Once Christmas was all over, I told DS (16 months) as I was putting him to bed that he was big enough not to have booby when its dark anymore, and that once the sun comes up & the birds are singing he can have booby again. He slept through the night!! I was blown away! Each night for a week I just reminded him as I put him to bed that there would be no booby until morning, and it has worked for us this time. If he does wake up we just give him a cuddle, a drink of water in a cup and remind him that its dark & its time to sleep. In a month we have gone from 5-6 feeds in 24hrs to just morning & night, which is nice as I am finally able to get some sleep!!
    I remember when we went to the paed when our ds was 15 months old and he said it was time to stop overnight feeds (he was on formula by that stage). He said our ds's name & our ds looked up from the floor where he was playing and the Paed said "Mummy & Daddy won't be giving you milk anymore overnight. You don't need milk in the night time". I watched my ds's face - he was watching his Paed carefully & paying him his full attention. I realised that my ds could understand a lot more than we gave him credit for! He was 15 months old! From memory he woke up only 1 or 2 nights in the next 2 days and we reminded him he wasn't getting milk overnight and he went back to sleep! We were in shock. We had tried it ourselves earlier and it wasn't that simple, but at some point children do understand what you're saying & it can make a huge difference.