+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default toddlers and taxis- Melbourne

So DD (3), DS (13 months) dh, and i are headed over to melbourne for a week in Feb/March.
    Just wanted to know what the laws etc are for toddlers and taxis.

Do we have to take a car seat or do they provide them? Do we HAVE to have a carseat??

The last time i was i a taxi in Melbourne i thought i was going to die (CRAZY CRAZY taxi driver!!!!)

TIA

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They don't provide seats and it's legal for the child to sit on your lap
    We found this out on a holiday a few years ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This was in Brisbane, but we ordered a taxi to get us to the airport and requested a carseat. They told us the baby travels on your lap just like they would on the plane

I was shocked but that's what we did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I would bring a car seat and then request a taxi with a car seat - so you have two. You'll never get a taxi with two seats.

Or just bring one car seat for 13 month old & 3 year old can just sit on their own in a taxi. I've done it once, but it was only for about 2.5klms. I would have walked but it was midnight & it was just me & jasper. and the taxi driver ran a red light on an intersection with limited visibility and scared the crap out of me, so Im not too keen to have jasper pretty much unrestrained in a car with a potentially crazy driver. I'd feel better if it were a close friend or family member driving, but of course that's illegal, if it's someone who's been driving for 8 hours solid, consumed god-knows-what & doesn't give a crap about your safety and wellbeing that's perfectly legal. Sense? No...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Or is there a shuttle bus/train?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In NSW taxis dont come with car seats due to hygene I was told (what a load of nonsense) and you would have to ring around to see if any will let you bring your own seat and if they have the restraint clips. They are the only state to do this which makes it a bit inconvenient when travelling with kids. And yes a child under 12 months can sit on your lap in a taxi and over 12 months they can use the adults belt (allowing for size etc) but all children must be in the rear seats.We did get taxis in sydney and brisbane with a car seat but only one and it was always a maxi taxi which costs more and the seats were for toddlers not infants so not much better than me holding bubs in her ergo.
    Last edited by lulu 2; 20-01-2012 at 15:51.