+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Reflux causing mucous in poo?

My DD is almost 13 weeks old and has been on Losec (5mg two times a day) since she was 5 weeks. We saw quite a big improvement but the symptoms have started returning. She has also had very frequent dirty nappies filled with mucous. They are also greener in colour when they are normally yellow. She usually only has one dirty nappy every two days and she has been doing at least ten a day for the past 3 days. She has dropped 110grams since Sunday which is a fair bit considering she is only 4kg. Is it possible that her reflux has caused the diarrhea and mucous and that it will be as simple as increasing the Losec?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would book in to see your GP or Paed ASAP - frequent green poo is not good and can be a sign of infection/illness or even food intolerance.

I'm NOT saying your LO is the same - however my DS has just been diagnosed as having an intolerance to cows milk protein. Basically I have to give up dairy for as long as I want to b/feed. Some of the symptoms were green frothy poos with mucous in them, losing weight and all day vomiting. He was originally diagnosed with reflux and had losec that didn't work, hence the additional tests that found the right diagnosis.

Hopefully it isn't as drastic as this, however would def get the poops checked out at least

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I would book in to see your GP or Paed ASAP - frequent green poo is not good and can be a sign of infection/illness or even food intolerance.

I'm NOT saying your LO is the same - however my DS has just been diagnosed as having an intolerance to cows milk protein. Basically I have to give up dairy for as long as I want to b/feed. Some of the symptoms were green frothy poos with mucous in them, losing weight and all day vomiting. He was originally diagnosed with reflux and had losec that didn't work, hence the additional tests that found the right diagnosis.

Hopefully it isn't as drastic as this, however would def get the poops checked out at least
    Exactly what happened to us. DD was weaned onto Neocate formula as she wasn't gaining weight, crying in pain from reflux and tummy pain, green mucousy poos... She's thriving since the change. Reflux has gone and she's gaining weight really well. The poo on Neocate is nasty though!!! Lol. It's better than all that horrid foamy mucousy green poo though.

ETA - we had to be really persistent to get a diagnosis. We ended up refusing to leave the ED at the children's hospital until we saw a paed and got some answers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds also had mucousy poos and his was due to a dairy intolorance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with the paed this afternoon. A friend had suggested this but if it were an intolerance wouldnt it be consistent? This is an intermittant type thing that seems to come and go. Also her poos arent at all frothy and the mucous is only there during her bad days. Normally her poo is yellow and mucous free

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaboyandbump View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have an appointment with the paed this afternoon. A friend had suggested this but if it were an intolerance wouldnt it be consistent? This is an intermittant type thing that seems to come and go. Also her poos arent at all frothy and the mucous is only there during her bad days. Normally her poo is yellow and mucous free
    It would only be as consistent as your diet if it is an intolerance in my experience. E.g. I noticed worse symptoms the day after I had a lot of dairy (once I was actually taking note that is!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How did your appointment go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He thinks she has an infection in her bowel and is very concerned he was going to admit her to hospital for the weekend but let her come home as he said shed probably be more comfortable at home. Have had tests to confirm. He said the reflux probably seems worse because she is sick but he didnt think it was an intolerance as it was consistent episodes and she went from fine to bad then fine to bad where as an intolerance would be variable but generally not fine. Thanks for thinking of us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same DS was and still is lactose intollerant and I switched my diet to minimal dairy and A2 lite milk and FIXED! Now he's off the boob and 1 yo he's on lactose free milk, and much happier, he had green mucosy pooup to 7 times a day at 11months now once a day much better!! Good luck