+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Deleted
    Last edited by Eleven Eleven; 21-01-2012 at 09:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    there are stacks of names that are quite common but i would not personally choose, for example: henry, hamish, angus, rory, archie, ella, bella, addison, audrey, grace.

nothing against those who have chosen those names for their little ones, its just not something i would call my little sir/lady

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just got through this entire thread, and neither of my two boys names were mentioned they are not common but definately not unheard of And certainly not bogan or places, food, things, cars etc.

Also only one of the names we chose for the baby was mentioned, and not even as an "I hate it" thought, Toby. Or Tobias to be proper :P I passed the "are my kids names likable" test woohoo!

There is only one name that my XDH has mentioned that made me squish my nose.. HUGO. (sorry if anyone has used this name) Not my cup of tea.

If our baby's a girl we are naming her Ilah. Its from an anime series we loved, but wasn't a main character and also not a very popular series so we don't feel its the same as say, naming after twighlight. :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nothing from a TV show or music group etc

No naming after any family members. It's not that I don't like them, I'm just totally not traditional and would like my kids to have 100% their own identities.

Nothing in the top 100. I was always one of several in my class with the same name & hated it.

I don't like boys names ending in "y" sounds.

Nothing that would cause them to not be taken seriously if they chose to have a big career.

No made up names or spelling.

***How's my spelling? Call 1800 iPhone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire84 View Post
    Haha Lonni I am going to take a stab and guess that you read Girl's Gone Child?

Im not a fan of names like that either. FFor me, nothing too new-age. I like older, easy to spell names that have worn well and aren't followed by a "huh?".
    Yeah i did and nameberry, those modern word names are all over those blogs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiplusthree View Post
    I just got through this entire thread, and neither of my two boys names were mentioned they are not common but definately not unheard of And certainly not bogan or places, food, things, cars etc.

Also only one of the names we chose for the baby was mentioned, and not even as an "I hate it" thought, Toby. Or Tobias to be proper :P I passed the "are my kids names likable" test woohoo!

There is only one name that my XDH has mentioned that made me squish my nose.. HUGO. (sorry if anyone has used this name) Not my cup of tea.

If our baby's a girl we are naming her Ilah. Its from an anime series we loved, but wasn't a main character and also not a very popular series so we don't feel its the same as say, naming after twighlight. :P
    Anime has some great names and is not as popular as twilight etc.

I was taking names from some of my favourite books, but they are mostly fantasy or urban fantasy so not really suitable like Veralidiane or Sookie, lol.

I did fond Opal and kade and i kind of liked devlin but i am sure if i names a kid that he would be a little devil.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wickedly Happy View Post
    My mother was born in Italy, so I have a whole selection of Italian names to choose from. As this bub is the first grandchild on four sides (both my parents, DP's mother, DP's father and DP's step-mother), we're under a teeny bit of pressure to use a "family" name. I actually don't mind since I'm a traditionalist.

BUT .... some of the names!!!!!! These are the ones which are DEFINATELY out:

Ildebrando
    Luigi
    Mario
    Bruno
    Giovanni (although I don't mind John or Johnny, English equivalent)
    Philomena
    Bianca (she was a cow)
    Lucia (my aunt's name - pity, it's the only one I really like)
    Alberto
    Llewellan
    Isabelle (althogh we like Annabelle as a compromise, since this is sooooo over-popular at the moment)
    Lorna

We DO like Alice, Annabelle and Kathleen Francis (together) if it's a girl. Maxwell is a strong fore-runner for a boy, along with John. I also love Sofie/Sofia for a girl, but my cousin's wife is being induced on Monday and they are calling their daughter Sophie. However since I only see them once a year .... maybe? The other is Eleanor, from my Nonna's name of Elena, and I love Ellie too. Darn it!! I have too many I love at the moment, mostly girls names

Oh, and we're definatley not calling it Albie, since that's the dog's name.
    we had a gorgeous little neighbour called Maximus or Maxi for short. they were italian and the grandfather was Maxwell

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    we had a gorgeous little neighbour called Maximus or Maxi for short. they were italian and the grandfather was Maxwell
    That's really cute. I should mention though, that I have a "Mac" surname, so Irish names sound better than Italian ones with our surname. My friend suggested Valentino/Valentina. I love Valentina, but it just doesn't go with our surname.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Magnus. Lol, DH used to always drop it and I'd bag it so bad that he eventually said he had been "only joking" about seriously liking it I think it's so ugly.
    Names that I onced like but were ruined by either people I dislike having that name or using it for their kids: Layla and Isabella. Very pretty, lovely names, but because of the people I associate them with, they are off my list.
    I also love the name Emma and would use it for a girl, but I named my cat that 5 years ago, and she is still our pet, so would be a bit odd, haha.
    Magnus is on our list! But DH likes it more than me... We are Scottish though and it is more common over there even though it's a Nordic name....

Wrong spellings are the absolute worst and I'm sorry to be blunt but it's not "different" it's a bit bogan. If you like the sound of the name then keep the original spelling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha what is it with DH's wanting Albus, Avangela and other ridiculous fantasy novel type names!!