+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Beautiful story Kwok! Attitudes are definitely important and a persons attitude depends on them as a person not their age, experience or job title. You ARE important to the midwife! I remember being devastated about having to go home after 12 hours, when the ladies haven't birthed yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kewok View Post
    I am really not looking forward to aged care. Or pallative or anything similar. However I know the double is the best option for myself personally.
    So glad to see that I am not the only one dreading the aged care aspect! Palliative really isn't bad. It's heartbreaking, but not what you would imagine it to be. My job at the moment, taking care of a very young man in a coma, is palliative, and I honestly love it. But growing attached, in a one-on-one setting, is not a good thing, so doing palliative in a hospital may still be heartbreaking, but not as much...I hope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake91 View Post
    Trying to word it appropriately, but I believe that all midwives should appear confident regardless of their levels of experience. A calm midwife, makes a calm woman. There is nothing worse than a midwife (and I have see many of them with 10+ years experience as an RNM) flapping about like a headless chook because the lady's surprised her and started pushing etc.
    Could we maybe try to have a thread that doesn't attack RNM's?

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Could we maybe try to have a thread that doesn't attack RNM's?
    Simple statement stating that some experienced midwives have attitude problems that make them a less than ideal caregiver, and that age/qualification/experience doesn't define your attitude when caring for women.

And since we've established that an experienced caregiver must be an RNM since BMid graduates would only have 3-4 years experience tops due to the introduction of the program not that long ago I see no problem with specifying RNM in this statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post
    Maria02, I think there are a few more things you could have used re: grad nurses first starting out in nursing.

1/ Many new nurse grads have already been working for years in hospitals, doing the same thing, as EN's.
    2/ Starting from day of enrolment, students are working in hospitals as AIN's, so they get to know the hospital system, are able to do the more simpler tasks required of nurses etc
    3/ In their 2nd year summer break, students can take a 6 week course which will qualify them to work their 3rd year as an EN, so by graduation they already have a years experience.
    4/ Grad programs- nurses get 'eased' into work, by starting off with reduced workloads, a mentor, regular classes and essay/assignments which are more indepth and in line with the area they are doing the grad program in. One of my friends got 6 months oncology which she learnt so much more about IV's and pharmacology than she would have just being thrown in without a grad program. She is now starting her second 6 months in urology.

challenged.
    Wow, I didn't know you could now qualify as an EN now after 2nd year! That's great- when I went through Vic was the only state that allowed that.

Hmm yes grad programs certainly help. I certainly found mine very supportive. Although even with this there's still a lot to get used to. As others have said I do believe they exist in both nursing & midwifery. I hear from students there's a bit of a shortage of grad programs these days which is just sad- I think it would be quite hard starting work without one.

My little munchkin due May 2012! So to keep me busy till then, I'm learning how to use my iPhone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ladies (OP here) I sincerely thank you for all your input. You have given me lots of food for thought. I have some time before i have to make my decision and your input has given me lots to consider. I have learned a lot from this thread including the correct spelling of midwifery! Lol

I have the utmost respect for both midwives and nurses in all fields and i agree both middies and nurses need much more support. I dont want this thread to disintegrate into one where people are getting upset.

So thanks again, who knows maybe our paths may cross some day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cupcake91 View Post
    Simple statement stating that some experienced midwives have attitude problems that make them a less than ideal caregiver, and that age/qualification/experience doesn't define your attitude when caring for women.

And since we've established that an experienced caregiver must be an RNM since BMid graduates would only have 3-4 years experience tops due to the introduction of the program not that long ago I see no problem with specifying RNM in this statement.
    Could you please look through my posts and see how many times I have said how I think both DEM & RNM have advantages & disadvantages and that neither is better than the other? I've been nothing but respectful towards people who choose to take a different path than me & I would appreciate the same level of courtesy from you.

Again, too, I don't see the need for sarcasm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey face View Post
    So glad to see that I am not the only one dreading the aged care aspect! Palliative really isn't bad. It's heartbreaking, but not what you would imagine it to be. My job at the moment, taking care of a very young man in a coma, is palliative, and I honestly love it. But growing attached, in a one-on-one setting, is not a good thing, so doing palliative in a hospital may still be heartbreaking, but not as much...I hope.
    I did my aged care prac in palliative care in a hospit and it was absolutely heartbreaking but I learnt so much on an emotional level. For the first week I came home in tears everyday but since then I am a much stronger yet more vulnerable person.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maria02 View Post
    Could you please look through my posts and see how many times I have said how I think both DEM & RNM have advantages & disadvantages and that neither is better than the other? I've been nothing but respectful towards people who choose to take a different path than me & I would appreciate the same level of courtesy from you.

Again, too, I don't see the need for sarcasm.

What part of it was a simple statement expressing the fact that some midwives whether they be young or old, DEM or RNM, new grad or 20 years experience just don't have the right attitude to be caring for women and make it a horrible experience for them. The reason I used a 10+ year experience RNM as my example, as a) to have 10+ years experience as a midwife in Australia you would have to be an RNM (so would you prefer that I have used the term 'midwife') and b) that I find it disgusting that someone would spend so long in a job that they clearly don't care about and c) to show that sometimes you might not be better off with the more experienced midwife if they are not confident. It was not attacking any particular pathway etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might add that there are DEM's in Australia with 10+ years experience who have immigrated from the UK.

So maybe it was one of them flapping around like a headless chook...who knows. Just sayin'.