+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    3 weeks ago I had my DD2. she was 6 weeks prem. My experience with the hospitals involved in her delivery and after care has been the total opposite of DD1 birth, for which I am very greatful. I didnt realise how bad my care was with DD1 until I had DD2 at a different hospital.

Basically first time round I had to be induced a week early due to PE. I was admitted into hospital and a couple hours later the induction process started. As most of the day was really just admission and hanging around waiting for staff to do their thing and get the ball rolling, My partner decided to come in later in the day so he could rest up in preperation for what was to follow. (long story short we werent yet living together and he lived over an hour away) So anyway he arrives late evening with his mum (so she can pace the halls when everything is in full swing) only to be told by the midwife that nothing is going to happen tonight, it never does with these things so he really should go home, that I need my rest and that he really must go so he can get some rest too and nothing is gonna happen until at least the next afternoon. Well... I promptly told them that he is the dad, he lives over an hour away, he is my partner, I'm not doing this alone, and I dont want him to go. They ended up dragging a really flat, dead mattress onto the floor and saying, fine here use this then but she has to go (his mum).
    Around 2am they come and check on me to see how things are going and I tell them that yeah I think I'm having contractions cos it really hurts. They decided to put the belt monitor thing on me to monitor how close and strong and stuff. every so often they would poke their heads in to check my progress. apparantly it looked like I wasnt really having any real contractions cos the monitor wasnt picking anything up and i was barely 2 cm. after much complaining they decide to swap the faulty monitor and of course lightening cant possibly strike twice. So when i said i was having contractions i was promptly told i couldnt be cos its a different machine and thats not picking anything up and i was a first timer and was just stressing. She quickly changed her mind when she asked me to roll onto my side and my waters broke all over her. It was that point where she decided to feel my stomach for contractions and check dialation. i had just crept up to a full 2cm. That was about 6am.
    They decide to wheel me into the birthing room and again check dialation and surprise surprise i'm full dialated. As its my first time they decide that i really should have an epidural even though i made it clear i did not want one. they kept hounding me and insisting I should until I eventually gave in and said fine do it then. but i want the gas until the aenethetist arrives. they said "honey you aint seen nothing yet, you still got a long way to go, lets just wait a little while". about 2 minutes after they woke the aenesthetic guy up I started pushing, they said "oh sh#t she's started pushing", I started screaming in pain as I wasnt on pain releif of any kind. they said "its 6.30 in the morning, you need to be quiet, some of the new mums are trying to sleep", I kept screaming partly on purpose until they said here try some gas. 2 sucks later, DD head is out, they are telling me to stop pushing cos her cord is wrapped around her neck. the cord is sorted and the aenethetist arrives just in time to see her pop out at 6.55am

So if my DP had done what the midwife said, he would have missed the birth completely.

That is part 1 of my delivery story. Part 2 is MY after care.

I was discharged from hospital on day 3, passing several clots the size of a mouse body only an hour earlier. I Kept telling them that I was passing large clots and had a bit of mild cramping. Again I was told that I was a first timer and that sort of thing is normal. So being a first time mum I accepted what she said as true. Anyway A couple days later I got the flu and the after birth pains were getting stronger. A day or so later I am at my partners house when I start feeding DD and all of a sudden the after birth pains turn into full on labour/delivery type contractions. I go to the nearest hospital (remembering my partner lived over an hour from the hospital I delivered at) and get told that I have a severe infection and I need to go back to the hospital I delivered at for immediate attention.
    I arrive at the hospital and get a slight run around cos no-one seems to knw what is going on and why I am there. Eventually they clue on and try to work out what is going on. Firstly they try to feel my tummy but it is so extremely sensitive to touch they say I cant possibly be in that much pain. They give me morphine etc and stand around scratching their heads. my mum turns up for moral support and in front of her they tell me that maybe I have chlamidia I say No I do Not. They say "here take this tablet, just in case. If you do have it then your treated, If not then no harm done", I'm in so much pain I just go along with it. Eventually they send me for x-rays. why? no idea. then they send me for an ultrasound where a little cluster of tissue in the shape of the "dont worry be happy smiley face" is smiling right up at them as if to say look at me. I get sent in to theatre immediately for a d&c to clean the retained placenta out and hooked up to IV antibiotics for a solid week with my veins collapsing from the strength of them.To sum it up I had severe peritinitis accompanied by a good dose of septicemia cause by undiagnosed retained placenta.
    Oh and since I had to be readmitted I also had to care for a newborn in hospital, trying to breastfeed her with one arm cos I cant move my other cos if I did the last vein they could access would totally collapse. There was 1 midwife who was on nights was a total B. And kept telling me off cos I had to keep calling someone to help me position DD so I could feed her cos I was trying to do it one handed and I found it impossible to do alone.She was so bad I ended up calling my mum in the middle of the night who then rang the hospital and asked why her daughter was asking her mother to come in to help do something the night staff wouldnt do, that could have been avoided in the first place because of the incompetent staff of this hospital.

Needless to say I did receive a formal written apology from this hospital after discharge.

Oh and also the child health nurse I was assigned got fired a few weeks later after I complained about her trying to preach some weird religion to me over and over again at each visit. apparantly it wasnt the first time she had done this.

As far fetched as this sounds everything I have written is 100% true. The hospital involved was meant to be one of the best at the time but I found out from a reliable source in the medical profession very recently that the hospital now has a very bad reputation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey proudmumma... I don't really think it's all about pain thresholds with labour, it's a very 'mental' game too, and I think if the people who are 'helping' you are so UNhelpful, it makes it harder...

No need to worry about how your story will be taken here, or whether I'm comparing who's had it harder, I have felt that attitude, and it's what kept me quiet about my experience. This thread is for expressing yourself and NOT letting someone else define your experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks chelleylane! I just feel like I have no reason to complain, as if it hadn't been for the cr@ppy midwife I had a good labor..but I believe it's the midwives and doctors that help make it a good experience. As the pp mentioned, she too had a horrible midwife. You would think people would show a bit of compassion working in such an amazing place, bringing babies into the world!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lw sorry you had such crappy treatment. Did they actually admit fault in writing? That's amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Chelley - I know this is your birthing experience, but could I please request there be a warning on it labeling it possibly distressing as I feel quiet emotional after reading it...

This wasn't in Gladdo was it..?

I'm sorry you experienced this, and haven't gotten any answers. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, lw! How awful!

I agree with lulu, how unusual to get a *written* apology!!

Glad to hear your second birth was a better experience.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Of course... It didn't occur to me... Nope, it was at Rocky.
    I've heard wonderful things about Gladdy (I was researching it for a while), except that the rooms are 'tired' and 'dated'.

Question though... How do u change the title? Shall I pm a mod??

ETA: sorry hun, I feel really bad...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelleylane View Post
    Of course... It didn't occur to me... Nope, it was at Rocky.
    I've heard wonderful things about Gladdy (I was researching it for a while), except that the rooms are 'tired' and 'dated'.

Question though... How do u change the title? Shall I pm a mod??

ETA: sorry hun, I feel really bad...
    Sorry Chell - I didn't realise it was in the "birth trauma support section" so really it's my fault for entering at my own risk haha .. I tend to sometimes breeze over it if I'm in new posts and/or on my phone...

That's relieving it wasn't here - I was having a mini panic attack haha... In saying that though I am going private and have heard nothing but lovely things about the mater hospy here...!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh, I didn't realise how long my story is! I've been writing for ages and have only got up to the going to hospital bit. I thought about posting it in sections but that would probably be confusing so I'll just keep working on it tomorrow and post when finished. It'll probably be too long for anyone to read, but the writing is therapeutic I feel
    Good night all.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lulululu, I will read it all the way to the end

Hippo (it feels wrong calling you that btw). No problem, I guess that's why Veve moved it. She's smarter than the average bear...

I have heard good things about the Mater too
    You will have a perfect, quick and painless birth because I demand it to be so!

One day I'm gonna be a kick-*** midwife. I can just feel it in my bones that this will finally be the thing that I really do, and the first thing I finish. (I have 2 half made dresses, a cross stitch that I never framed, 2 years of a music degree, the list goes on and on. Im just a big fat qui....