Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    OP. Seriously the likelihood of falling pregnant from sex when your bub is 8-weeks old, your period hasn't returned, and you're breastfeeding is exceedingly low - about that that it would be if you had a condom break when you were on the pill. If you were on the pill and had a condom break, do you reckon you'd be stressing this much?

I'm not advocating for or against taking the MAP but if you're having SUCH a strong psychological reaction to it, you really need to make sure that you're going to be okay if you do take it.

Thinking of you xx
    Last edited by DQ; 19-01-2012 at 11:57. Reason: ref to deleted text

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    OP. Seriously the likelihood of falling pregnant from sex when your bub is 8-weeks old, your period hasn't returned, and you're breastfeeding is exceedingly low - about that that it would be if you had a condom break when you were on the pill. If you were on the pill and had a condom break, do you reckon you'd be stressing this much?
    my period has returned as it had with DD1 and when she was 9 weeks i fell preg with DD2. In regards to the condom breaking while on the pill would I freak out? HELL YES! that's how we ended up with DD1 but I do see your point

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    no advice hun, but GBH - I do feel for you. you need to do what is right for you whatever that may be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetius View Post
    no it stops the implanting not the fertilization unfortunately.

I suck it up and took them but i should have waited coz bub wanted a feed right after and i cant give her breastmilk for 8hrs
    You know even if you fed her she'd want more after you took them haha babies are adamant about murphys law heheheh

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

share a book  (19-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hunny, my advice is to take the pills now to avoid a possible nightmare later on .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    You know even if you fed her she'd want more after you took them haha babies are adamant about murphys law heheheh
    I know and unfortunately it's a battle for me to get her to take a bottle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by kmetius View Post
    my period has returned as it had with DD1 and when she was 9 weeks i fell preg with DD2. In regards to the condom breaking while on the pill would I freak out? HELL YES! that's how we ended up with DD1 but I do see your point
    Ah, in the case that your period has returned, then no, breastfeeding doesn't work as a contraceptive at all...you have to ovulate to trigger menstruation, so, disregard. Breastfeeding only works as a contraceptive whilst your period hasn't returned - can't fall pregnant when you're not ovulating!

Where did you get the advice about not breastfeeding for 8 hours after taking the MAP? If it was the pharmacy, I'd really honestly advise calling the appropriate number for your state on listed on this webpage - https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/drugs.html . Especially if the pharmacist didn't check in the 'Lactation and medications' guide in front of you, because that just doesn't sound right. The MAP is generally a progesterone-only pill, the same as the mini-pill - and that's considered very safe in pregnancy. In fact it's the contraceptive of choice for breastfeeding mothers.

If it contains oestrogen, then that has the potential to drop your milk supply and it could actually have quite a big impact if you were also not to breastfeed for 2 x 8 hour periods.

again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't think you need google to proove bf is an ineffective contraception just look at all the women on here who are pregnant and still breastfeeding

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmetius For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (19-01-2012),Californication  (19-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    Ah, in the case that your period has returned, then no, breastfeeding doesn't work as a contraceptive at all...you have to ovulate to trigger menstruation, so, disregard. Breastfeeding only works as a contraceptive whilst your period hasn't returned - can't fall pregnant when you're not ovulating!

Where did you get the advice about not breastfeeding for 8 hours after taking the MAP? If it was the pharmacy, I'd really honestly advise calling the appropriate number for your state on listed on this webpage - https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/drugs.html . Especially if the pharmacist didn't check in the 'Lactation and medications' guide in front of you, because that just doesn't sound right. The MAP is generally a progesterone-only pill, the same as the mini-pill - and that's considered very safe in pregnancy. In fact it's the contraceptive of choice for breastfeeding mothers.

If it contains oestrogen, then that has the potential to drop your milk supply and it could actually have quite a big impact if you were also not to breastfeed for 2 x 8 hour periods.

again.
    the actual leaflet from the map

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Drug companies tend to be extremely over-cautious in giving their information out. They don't want to be sued in the highly unlikely event that an adverse reaction were to happen. There's a bloke called Dr Thomas Hale who does a lot of medication research in lactating women, he's often quoted to say stuff like most medications are not incompatible with breastfeeding.

Anyway, it's up to you what you do (re: contacting the advice lines), it just sounds like you're having a tough time *not* breastfeeding for the 8 hour period (ie getting bub to take a bottle) and it may not be necessary.

Hope it all works out for you (re: the MAP, I mean)