Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    OP, as far as I'm aware, the MAP is the progesterone-only pill which is safe for breastfeeding. Even if it does have oestrogen too (combined pill) it's not actually going to do your baby any damage, it's just that oestrogen suppresses milk production, so you might see a bit of a drop in your milk supply for a day or two after you take it - but if you offer the breast lots, then it will come back quickly. But do speak to the pharmacist. And good luck

I don't know who gave you that information, Homestar...but it's not true. Lactational amenorrhoea is a very effective contraceptive method - better rates that condoms and similar to the pill. (around 0.5 - 0.6% 'failure' rate, ie about 1 pregnancy per 200 women). http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

In quite a big study in Pakistan, using the lactational amenorrhoea method, the rate of conception at 6 months (of exclusive breastfeeding) was 0.6%, and at 12 months (with gaps of no longer than 3 hours between feeds, I believe) it was 1.1%. (source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7672141 ).

That's not to say that it's not without problems, don't get me wrong - for a you can't judge when your first period is going to return and you become fertile roughly 2 weeks before that, and for a second you can't have a gap of more than 3 hours between breastfeeds (including overnight) for it breastfeeding to work as a contraceptive - but if you are doing that, it's a very effective contraceptive...at least until it's not

But you're not most fertile in the 6 months after you birth a baby. At least not if you're breastfeeding.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

1234Guest  (19-01-2012),Bubbles10  (19-01-2012),Pinkzy  (19-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    See, that's what I thought too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    meh ive seen enough oops babies to not believe it sorry. But it came from my LC

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (19-01-2012),Chocolate All Gone Now  (19-01-2012),zombiekitty  (19-01-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Fair enough

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tam-I-Am View Post
    OP, as far as I'm aware, the MAP is the progesterone-only pill which is safe for breastfeeding. Even if it does have oestrogen too (combined pill) it's not actually going to do your baby any damage, it's just that oestrogen suppresses milk production, so you might see a bit of a drop in your milk supply for a day or two after you take it - but if you offer the breast lots, then it will come back quickly. But do speak to the pharmacist. And good luck
    I agree with if the MAP is a progesterone-only pill then its ok, just like the mini pill, but if it has oestrogen too then it is harmful to the child because we dont know the effects of oestrogen on a baby. My neuro said its a class/grade C/3, due to no proper studies taken place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ok call me crazy but I am sitting here with my MAP and a glass of water just looking at it.

I don't want another baby nor does DH (at least he doesn't right now) but at the same time I am having trouble bringing myself to swallow these stupid pills because I know there is a CHANCE be it a very small one that I may end up pregnant after last nights accident and the MAP is infact a chemical abortion should the egg become fertilized and abortion isn't for me...I couldn't knowingly have an abortion I wouldn't be able to live with it, I understand why some people do it and I am not against it but it's not for me.

In order for these pills to be effective they have to be taken asap and no longer than 72hrs...DH wants it taken this morning and I did too until I realized what I could be doing.

So now I have to try and get my head around it asap and swallow these things or wait and then if I do end up pregnant...what then? DH and I both don't want another baby right now but if I was pregnant I know I would keep the baby because if I can't bring myself to swallow these pills there is no way I could go into a clinic of some sort

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could be wrong, but I thought the MAP stopped any possible fertilisation? So it's not aborting a baby, it's just stopping it from forming in the first place?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well if it will make you feel any better,sperm need to go through a chemical change once inside a woman before they can break through the hard outer shell of the egg and this usually takes about 12hrs so chances are the egg has not been fertilized yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought the MAP stopped any possible fertilisation? So it's not aborting a baby, it's just stopping it from forming in the first place?
    I think this is right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by finally expecting View Post
    I think this is right.

no it stops the implanting not the fertilization unfortunately.

I suck it up and took them but i should have waited coz bub wanted a feed right after and i cant give her breastmilk for 8hrs