+ Reply to Thread

Default Changing from feeding to sleep to another method

I currently feed DD (10 weeks) to sleep. I'm terrified of the time when it stops working because that's all I know how to do! And I would also love DH to be able to put her to bed. How can I start transition her to a different method? I don't want to do CC or CIO. I just got her a blankie (rug with Teddy's head) that I will start putting with her when she goes to sleep at night (sleeping little during day at the moment). But what else can I start doing to help smooth the transition when the time comes?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't worry about it stopping working - it still works for my 1 year old. Babies change so much, where once I HAD to feed DS to sleep, or swing him, now sometimes I can just cuddle him and rock him in the feeding chair. DH can get him to sleep now too and never used to be able to. As they get older different things work.

That said, at about 7 months I stopped feeding to sleep for all sleeps as DS was waking up so much overnight. I just switched to rocking to sleep. I would feed until drowsy, then rock him to sleep even though he would cry a bit when he wasn't getting fed. He was always cuddled and comforted and I physically was exhausted from sleep deprivation and BFing 24/7.

But if feeding to sleep is working got you now, keep it up

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's still within working here, DS is 9 1/2 months. I would keep doing it and look at changing things if or when it becomes a problem.
    I don't feed him to sleep very often anymore but it still comes in handy sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    In front of the computer....Der!
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    Feeding to sleep was still working on my 3 year old when I weaned him

I think you may be worrying prematurely. If you do feel the need to change tactics, or at least have some up your sleeve if it DOES stop working (unlikely - the hormones in breastmilk change throughout the day, and are somewhat sedating for babies at night It's DESIGNED to get them off to sleep!) I'd try Elizabeth Pantley's or Pinky McKay's books.

Please, though, if you're not looking to do CIO stay away from G.ina F.ord, T.izzie H.all and co. They claim that what they do is not CC or CIO, but honestly - I don't know what else you call allowing a baby to cry for certain time intervals before attending to them, and advocating that babies can 'manipulate' their parents by pooing or vomiting on command and that that should be ignored

Gold Coast
    Hi there munchkinsmum

I have just changed from feeding to sleep to patting my 11mth old DS to sleep. I resorted to feeding to sleep when he started to teeth, but I'm hoping to stop breastfeeding soon, and would also like my DP to be able to help settle him so have had to change my ways (we have twins, so its really hard if its only me who can settle). ANyway, I was very nervous initially when I changed to patting him off to sleep, because feeding to sleep worked so well and guaranteed to get him off to sleep. The first time (day-time nap) he was not happy, but I had him on my lap and keep patting, and he cried on and off for 20 minutes maybe....not hysterically, just a protest cry. And then with each subsequent sleep, he cried less and less, and he would get off to sleep quicker and quicker. By the 3rd day, there was no crying and he would just babble alittle and then drift off calmly. By DP is now able to put him to bed....he is actually better than me because DS can't smell milk.

I've just stopped feeding him overnight, and just patting him back to sleep.

My next step is to put him down drowsy but awake in his cot....

Good luck....but the change can happen. I was dreading it, but it was relatively easy.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shirleysmum For This Useful Post:

Bluest Blue Box  (18-01-2012)