+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Vitamin D + calcium tablets & multi vitamins

I have low vitamin D and so my OB has told me to take Vit D + cal tablets as well as my blackmore preg tablets. I went to the chemist today to get the vit d tablets and the pharmacist woulnt give them to me saying that's too much vit d to take during pregnancy. So I called my OB and the midwife said just lie and say they are for your husband because I need to take them.
    Any one else taking Vit d tablets with your multivitamins? What are the side effects of taking too much vit d?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told today that I'm Vit D deficient too and told to take 1000 IU on top of my multivitamin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are deficient, you need at least 1000IU everyday. Check how much vitamin D is in your multivitamin - I'd be surprised if there's much in it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi i just got a new bottle of vita d today as im low.. I also bought more elevit at same time and didn't get questions.. Its strange they wouldnt sell it to you if your ob said to. I would trust your ob and just go to another chemist to buy it

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My vitamin D was fairly low, so I have to take 2 a day. My OB said to continue taking elevit as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pretty sure you can't OD on vitamin D.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbubs1012 View Post
    I have low vitamin D and so my OB has told me to take Vit D + cal tablets as well as my blackmore preg tablets. I went to the chemist today to get the vit d tablets and the pharmacist woulnt give them to me saying that's too much vit d to take during pregnancy. So I called my OB and the midwife said just lie and say they are for your husband because I need to take them.
    Any one else taking Vit d tablets with your multivitamins? What are the side effects of taking too much vit d?
    Not much, I think your body only absorbs what it needs. Please take it. I was defieint through out my pregnancy and my baby was born deficient in D and so I had to give it to her orally everyday for 6 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My OB told me to take it as well, I asked at chemist which one to take as I am on elevit as well, she pointed me to a combined one Vit D and calcium, and didn't say a thing about to much vitamins. Elevit I think only have 500, where the normal tablets are 1000 anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!
    Stupid chemist I told them that my OB said to take them but they said oh you must have heard wrong there's no way your meant to take that much vit d while preg. I won't be going there again!
    I had a fire explode in my face 6 months ago and my face, eyes and right arm where burnt quite bad, I healed well and amazed the docs by not getting any scars but was told to totally avoid the sun for atleast a year other wise my skin would burn really bad and scar cos its was so sensitive after being badly burnt. Even after just 10 min in the morning sun I'm burnt. So this would explain why my vit d levels are so low. Anyway thanks again for your replies and good to know I'm not the only one taking lots of vit d

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Winterbubs, I am also deficient in Vit D and found out when I went for my preconception check up in November. My Dr told me to start taking a Vit D tablet daily on top of the multi vit I was already taking. I had just come back from living in the UK for 2yrs and think the lack of exposure to sun while living in London contributed to my deficiency.

I am now 6wks pregnant and will be continuing to take the same dosage during pregnancy but my Dr has advised that if it stays low then I will in fact need to up the dosage again when breastfeeding. Vit D is vital for both mum & baby so definitely listen to your OB as opposed to the pharmacist.

On a side note I'm very sorry to hear of your accident with the fire, that would have been a horrific experience and I am glad to hear that you healed well.