+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 59 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi girls,

hope you don't mind a longtermers IVFer who is NOT pregnant dropping by just to wish you all the best of luck with your bubs.

You bring me hope.

CJM, life's not fair - its mean that after everything you have this stress as well...I hope it all works out in the end.

Frostysmum, you're just lovely to everyone aren't you....me and your protocol papers are visiting my FS on Thursday..however, I've already sent an ad off for donor EEG approval.

Hope it was ok to post this here in your good news thread.

Love the roll call....

X Michelle/Giohara

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Giohara For This Useful Post:

cjm1  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Frosty, thanks Bella, your awesome!

Giohara, thanks for your well wishes and best of luck at your FS Thursday xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Marzi - wow that's not good, are you having a lot of MS? I got blood shot eyes sometimes but only lasted a few hours, poor thing, hope it gets better soon and the nose bleeds stop. My guess, ummmmm boy
    Also did you ask the sex at the NT scan? We did and they told us but insisted they weren't supposed to do that as it may not be accurate.
    Also sorry if this is a dumb question but are CVS and Amnio tests the same thing?

Cjm1 - big hugs! Really sorry you've got this added worry, but really hoping it's all ok. Did you talk to your doctor today about the CVS?

Lilybaby - yikes that's scary, hopefully the doctor gets back to you soon with an explanation and hopefully it's an easy fix. How was the scan today?

Giohara - thanks for the well wishes, hope you'll be joining us soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    A copy and paste job from Wiki

Amniocentesis
    (also referred to as amniotic fluid test or AFT) is a medical procedureused in prenatal diagnosis of chromosomal abnormalities and fetal infections, in which a small amount of amniotic fluid, which contains fetal tissues, is sampled from the amnion or amniotic sac surrounding a developing fetus, and the fetal DNA is examined for genetic abnormalities. Using this process the sex of the fetus.
    [edit]Procedure
    Before the start of the procedure, a local anesthetic can be given to the mother in order to relieve the pain felt during the insertion of the needle used to withdraw the fluid. After the local is in effect, a needle is usually inserted through the mother's abdominal wall, then through the wall of the uterus, and finally into the amniotic sac. With the aid of ultrasound-guidance, a physician punctures the sac in an area away from the fetus and extracts approximately 20 ml of amniotic fluid. After the amniotic fluid is extracted, the fetal cells are separated from the sample. The cells are grown in a culture medium, then fixed and stained. Under a microscope the chromosomes are examined for abnormalities. The most common abnormalities detected are Down syndrome (trisomy 21), Edwards syndrome (trisomy 18), and Turner syndrome (monosomy X). In regard to the fetus, the puncture heals and the amniotic sac replenishes the liquid over the next 24–48

Chorionic villus sampling (CVS), sometimes misspelled "chorionic villous sampling" is a form of prenatal diagnosis to determine chromosomal or genetic disorders in the fetus. It entails sampling of the chorionic villus (placental tissue) and testing it for chromosomal abnormalities, usually with FISH or PCR. CVS usually takes place at 10–12 weeks' gestation, earlier than amniocentesis (14–16 weeks). It is the preferred technique before 15 weeks.
    Use as early as 8 weeks in special circumstances has been described.
    It can be performed in a transcervical or transabdominal manner.

Last edited by Marzi; 29-02-2012 at 18:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default ** Intruder alert **

CJM1 - I'm sorry to intrude but I have always followed this thread checking on the lovely ladies who have been trying forever for their little miracles.

I too was like you - high Papp-A which put my pregnancy 1:14 for downs. I did have a disappearing twin which may have thrown my bloods out. To cut a very long story short when I eventually made it to see my obstetrician she said that she is seeing IVF pregnancies can tend to have higher than normal Papp-A results. There is no proof or studies behind what she had said but that was just her observation. I opted not to have any testing as my husband and i were prepared that if it was our destiny to care for a special needs child then we would be as loving and caring as we possibly could. No doubt it would be tough but perhaps take us on a different parenting journey than what we had envisaged. Obviously this was a very personal decision and only one that can be made as a couple.

Discuss with your FS what further investigations he may suggest and don't feel pressured to run off and have tests done straight away.

I was also told that high Papp-A can also mean placental issues and this could quite simply mean your obstetrician just needs to keep a closer eye on your pregnancy and that the placenta is still allowing bubs to grow at a healthy rate.

Have faith. Enjoy your little miracle growing inside you.

PS - my 1:14 chance of downs baby is perfectly normal. she just celebrated her 1st birthday and if anything is quite advanced for her age (I know every mum says this about their kids.....

Again, I'm sorry to intrude but I hope the above gives you some faith and peace that there is hope that all is okay.

Always xxx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Always Hoping For This Useful Post:

cjm1  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A note on the amnio v cvs

They both involve a risk of m/c with amnio being lower risk
    the procedure is more or less the same, needle in belly
    they both say they are not 100% accurate

Talk it thro with your partner and OB

In my case, after all I've been thro I want to know

Pall the best on making informed decisions xx
    we are here to support you no matter what they may be

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marzi For This Useful Post:

cjm1  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Girls
    Thanks for the encouragement and support -- I really appreciate it as I don't have anyone else to talk to about this except DH.

I am trying to focus on the positive (and have been instructed by my OB to do so) -- the scan is good, the HCG is good -- it is just the low papp-a. Hopefully this will mean more for me than bubs -- eg smaller baby, earlier delivery, placental probs, higher blood pressure etc and not a trisomny problem.

Thanks Marzi for letting me know the amnio is not a big deal -- it is a little scary to consider a needle of any sort in my stomach let alone one I am not in control of.

Giohora -- thanks for dropping in and your support -- hope your FS appointment goes well.

Always Hoping -- thanks for dropping in and your support.

Frosty's Mum -- thanks for the info -- although i am normal all results, but low (not high) pappa.

DH and I have decided to do the Amnio at 15 weeks (i am 13 now so not long to wait) and get the quick results for the 13, 18 & 21 trisomny, and the full details later. As the OB said it might be better to wait for the lower risk test, than have the CVS, miscarry and find it was all perfectly ok. He doesn't seem particularly worried and fingers crossed he is right. We were hoping to tell our families next week, and our friends the week after but I guess this will have to wait now . I did get to tell my bridesmaid, and close friend who knows about our journey last Saturday before the test --- she was so happy she cried. It was really cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi cj.

Hope you dont mind me jumping in. I stalk alot of the ivf threads to see how everyone is going and just noticed yours.

I had to have an amnio 2 weeks ago due to low Papp a. My risk wasn't as high as yours, but a high risk nonetheless. I got my results today and everything came back normal. So I guess it's placenta issues for me. I think the low papp a is more often than not due to placenta issues so try not to stress babe.

And the amnio process is really quick and painless. Just a really weird feeling. But mine didn't even last 30 seconds.

Goodluck with yours hun. Hope you get perfect results and really quick ones too xoxo

And I know what you mean about telling people. As if ivf isn't hard enough, then you have all this thrown at you. I can only just start telling people now and I'm 18 weeks. Just think though, by the time you tell everyone you'll nearly be half way to holding your precious bub xoxo.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini85 For This Useful Post:

cjm1  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    cjm---Sorry I read wrongly. I'm glad your ob managed to calm you down a bit and lessen your worry, I hope the next two weeks go quickly and you can get the amnio over and done with.

Marzi--- for the FISH results today.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cjm, I had low Papp-A 0.643
    and high beta-hcg 4.867
    they are both supposed to be 1ish.

I got my FISH results back today, all good!
    The rest of the results come back in two weeks but it looks like I'm having a baby!

Thanks to you all for you thoughts and support xx