SummerShine  (05-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations Summer!! Great news!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Haydos1979 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    CONGRATULATIONS SUMMERSHINE ON THE SAFE ARRIVAL OF YOUR PRECIOUS LITTLE BOY!!!

How is everyone going?

Starfish I've been thinking of you...i've just checked your ticker and cant believe you're 30 weeks already!!! Wow! How are you feeling? Are you going to post any belly pics? Not long now....so exciting!

Hi to you all, its been quiet in here. a good sign i hope that everything is well and you are busy out enjoying your pregnancies....and getting lots of sleep, as Summer said you will miss it when bub arrives!

Belly rubs
    YY

6. The Following User Says Thank You to YinYang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi YY
    Lovely to hear from you! How's that gorgeous little girl of yours? I'm doing well, just the usual 3rd trimester niggles with sleep, breathlessness and heartburn but all seems to be going ok. It does feel like the countdown is on now we are in single digits!

I have put some pics in a private album and sent you a friend request so feel free to have a peek at the burgeoning belly

Summer, how is new mummyhood treating you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for the congratulations. I still can't believe he is here and strangely all the years of pain and suffering seem like a distant memory. I'm completely filled with joy.
    Star based on my experience the c section was fine. Took about an hour all up and I didn't feel any pain. The next day I was up and showering. You do need to take things slowly though. The medication they use for the spinal tap can make you itchy later that was the most uncomfortable bit and I wish they had warned me at the time. Oh and accept pain relief even if you don't feel pain just to keep on top of it.
    My only other tip is that breastfeeding will probably hurt at first so have some lanolin ready. We used a bit of formula until my milk came through as baby had low bsl it settled him and maintained his weight so worth doing.
    Can't wait until your little one arrives so close!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summer, you sound like you are in a very blissed out space!

Thanks also for sharing your C-section experience with me. My placenta has been lowish for a while but I now have a confirmed case of praevia (it's not quite at the cervix yet). Strangely no evidence of this at 26 wk scan but seems to be moving down not up in the last few weeks which FS tells me is not the norm. Anyway we'll see what happens over the coming weeks.

We had our c-section/ epi class last week and on the whole I am feeling ok about going down this path. Can I ask did you have the combined spinal/epi or just the spinal? I am aware that some anaesthetists will leave the epi in for a day or 2 to top up pain relief that way. Anyone else's c-section experiences also welcome!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starf1sh - I had spinal only with my c-section. The c-section didn't hurt, but I accepted the panadol (never needed anything stronger) whenever offered just in case that was the reason it didn't hurt. I consider myself fortunate that it didn't hurt as one of my nurses couldn't find the handle to lower the bed side-rails and pressed the CPR button instead which made me go from sitting to lying flat in an instant! As the spinal was being administered it felt like someone was pinching me really hard, but since it was just in a small area it was easy to deal with the discomfort.
    I watched much of the c-section by using the theatre lights as a mirror. At one point there was the definite smell of BBQ meat (i.e. cauterising me) - wasn't warned about that.
    Afterwards I took things slowly. Use the bed controls to help you get up. I needed help (lactulose I think) to get bowels moving. I did the nanna knickers one size larger than normal - but due to my fluid retention even they were nearly too small.

I can't really say how quickly you'll be up and around as my experience wasn't optimal there. I was warned that with the twins giving a more stretched uterus that haemorrhage risk was increased and I ended up receiving a transfusion of 3 units for that, and was so tired from the blood loss I barely woke up for the first 24 hours or so after the c-section. I was also on a Mg drip in HDU until 36 hours after c-section from my foot failing the reflex clonus test (I think that means my pre-eclampsia became eclampsia, but I'm not sure). The HDU nurses didn't want to help me get up and moving, even though my Dr said it was time to get out of bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Star I had an emergency Caesarian due to complications and was told that a scheduled caesar will be needed next time and will be much easier (taking out the labour time and effort and the drama of complications).
    We had music prepared to distract me during the birth but that all went out the window as we were rushed in, but the staff were so kind and we had total confidence in them so that made it so much easier. Someone took photos for us and I remember being quite overwhelmed with emotion that she was finally going to be here. I was shaky as I'd had some antibiotics (which you wouldn't normally have) so couldn't hold her for too long but other than that it was pretty good. DH was holding her when I woke in recovery, barely moving as he didn't want to break her lol.

Oh I found they dissuaded you from having much pain medication in the days after the birth. I kind of felt they implied I shouldn't be having much or very often so I was putting up with pain until I spoke up and got a higher dose and was a lot more comfortable. Maybe it was just me being too sensitive but that's how I felt. Also they gave me a day or twos worth to take home and said that'd be enough, but I was still needing it to be more comfortable so went to the doctors and she said most people do need pain relief a little longer. So I'd say trust yourself and speak up if you're in pain rather than put up with it.

Also if you breastfeed, it's hard to get right to start with, almost everyone takes a while to get it. I struggled to get the latch right and put up with pain while feeding rather than persisting with re-latching and found this more painful in the long run so in hindsight I should have taken her off more and re-latched better, in the early months as I made it a bit harder on myself. It's easy once you get the hang of it but I found it quite hard for the first 2 or 3 months, longer than I expected it to take to get right.

All the best, not long to go now!! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Felicita (how are those gorgeous twins?? ) and Haydos for sharing your experiences. Ok the BBQ meat smell is one I hadn't heard before (must ask OB about this) but thanks to the 2 of you for your honest accounts.
    It is all starting to feel very real, especially now we have a date!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello gorgeous mummies to be.
    Yes it's been way too long but I'm finally back in here to see how you all are going. I'm so excited to go back and read where everyone is upto. And who is holding their precious little miracles now and who will be very soon.
    Congratulations

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Loveabug For This Useful Post:

Starf1sh  (08-06-2013)