+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 59 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Star - Yes I have set up most of the nursery now, I just have to get new blinds. I think it looks quite cute. I completely understand the reluctance to buy anything. The shop where we bought most of our stuff from were fantastic. The same lady assisted us each time and said that she would keep everything out back until we felt ready to pick it up. In the mean time a wonderful friend and several family members gave me heaps of clothes and other accessories so it kind of broke the seal and there was no turning back. You will know when it is the right time.

I hope this gives you hope, my heatburn acutally got better in third trimester. It was quite bad around week 24 but has resolved. Now I'm struggling with leg cramps and reduced mobility - loving every bit of the experience though.

Marzi - Thank you for taking the time to write out that list it's really helpful. May I ask a question about grow suits? Can they sleep in these as new borns, and do they also sleep with clothes under the grow suit or just a vest and nappy. Sorry if that is a really stupid question.

AFM - Really want the next month to hurry up and go. I made the decision not to have a baby shower. Instead I am asking family/friends to donate to the charity of my choice. I feel pretty lucky these days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Summershine ...
    we wrapped baby for the first little while, then got a love to swaddle suit, which has their arms zipped in. I think they are comforted by the closeness of these wraps. We moved into grosuits/sleep bags once he started rolling and wriggling.
    what to wear under is fairly dependent on weather.... But generally under a gro suit our bub wears a onsie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Summer, firstly, there are no silly questions! We have all asked them before anyways :-) I get onesies and grows mixed up!
    james was born in August so I had a singlet or vest, then a short sleeved and short legged grow on underneath a long sleeved and long legged onesie.
    to sleep he wore a singlet/vest, long sleeved grow (maybe short/long legged), his love to swaddle zip up wrap (tho as a new born he was swaddled in a muslin wrap, but he soon got too long for this). Then he was under a sheet and blankets (ranging from wool to flannelette sheets. I always try to judge how many layers he has on from vest to top blanket. Trile and error, if he seems too hot, remove a layer, and vice versa.
    it all depends on the weather......and don't worry....I still um and ah about what to dress him in and if he has enough blankets on!! The grow egg helps heaps in this! If its hot, I may not even put a vest on him (especially if going out in the heat) unless he wears a two piece and then I do as his top will ride up. I've had him in just a vest and a pair of those bonds nappy pants over his nappy. Ooh, about them.....the nappy pants are great for holding a vest or singlet in place if you do wear a two piece! Love them! Can get them at Coles, woolworths/Safeway or big W etc!

With singlets, I didn't find I had to have every size. I had some 0000 and then I skipped to 00, now in size 0. It may be long or baggy but he gets more are out of them.

Hey, this may seem really odd, but I found hanging his clothes in size order in his wardrobe really helped to save time looking in piles in the draws. Also ment that he wore everything and the special things more often. Just make sure your always scanning the next size....hanging means you can see how long the item is compared to what they are in ATM. Some clothes variy on length depending on brand!!

I also use a bath thermometer. The midwife at hospital said ah you don't need this,but my elbow has never read the how to check temperature manual, so I use the thermometer every bath time.

I'm More than happy to answer any questions, none are silly or to small. Baby's don't come with 'how to' guides!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,
    I havent posted for sooo long. I read my emails and think of you all and wish you the best but because DH is FIFO I'm busy with Ethan &/or too exhausted to post most of the time. xxx

We painted our nursery and put up the frieze when I was 20 weeks after our scan, we werent game before then. 3 weeks later I was admitted to hospital (12 months ago tomorrow) and our miracle man was born a week later! After Ethan's very early arrival we werent game to buy anything until he was 36 weeks. Everytime we even walked into a baby store prior to that we'd get to the hospital to awful news eg another lumbar puncture, meningitis scare etc, baby stores were just bad luck for us :-( The ladies where we bought everything were lovely and said in the nicest possible way (when we'd lay-by'd everything) that if the worse was to happen they will fully refund. Hate to even mention it after everything ladies have been through on this thread because I certainly didnt want to hear it either. We bought brand new and top of the line everything for our little man, I figured we'd waited long enough so I bought everything I wanted and I dont regret a cent. Also the store we went to gave us 20% off when we bought all the big items there and a 20% discount card for 12 months!We've actually used everything we bought and I'm really happy with the things we bought. If we are lucky enough to have another baby it will get reused or if we arent blessed with another we'll donate to Goodwill.
    We also have a gro-egg and I find it really handy. When Ethan was in Nicu they liked his temp at 36.6 so in each season we'd take his temp for awhile and then we'd know if we had the right number of layers on him for the temp on the gro egg. We wrapped him in muslins with blankets on top until he was about 4 months corrected (he came home in July) and then just did blankets without wrapping for another 2 months. When he was 6.5 months corrected he moved from his bassinet to the cot and then we needed gro-bags because he would crawl all over the cot and out from his covers! On the back of the gro-bag packet it also tells you what to wear under the gro-bag depending on the room temp which is really handy! I hardly ever used singlets because Ethan is a really hot bub, but every babies different.
    I'm same as Marzi and use a bath thermometer so I know the waters the right temp, they're really cheap at Target. We also use nappy pants because Ethan undoes his nappies otherwise, you can get really cute ones from Kmart for $3!
    Summershine - its lovely to donate to a charity instead of having a baby shower. We're doing similar for Ethan's 1st Birthday, we've asked for donations to Nicu instead.
    afm, Ethan is 1 in only 8 days, I cant believe it, where did that time go! Unfortunately he has his 1st illness since coming home from hospital at 4 months old so we may have to cancel his party :-( The poor little guy has been so sick its been awful, hopefully he'll be better soon.
    Wishing you all the best as you come closer to meeting your precious babies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for sharing your nursery and heartburn advice. So far the Tums seems to be keeping it at bay for me although it does feel like an accompaniment to most evening meals these days! I am also having issues with constipation, ahhh pregnancy just keeps getting more glamourous!

I also eagerly read all the advice you have given to Summer about wrapping and gro bags.

I have been really struggling with how much to spend on baby stuff and considering new vs 2nd hand. A couple of my girlfriends have gone all out (eg. Leander nursery sets and iCandy prams etc) which has set them back a small fortune, but I'm not sure my bubs really needs a $1700 cot? DH definitely says not

Lily, I completely get where you are coming from and since it has taken us so long to get here against the odds (after I was diagnosed with severe Asherman's we were told our chance of carrying a baby even with a good donor egg was only about 30%) and given this may be our only child I also felt the urge to only buy top of the line.

I think for us we will try and find a compromise. We ended up buying a mountain buggy pram yesterday on a whim as we walked into a baby store having a 40% off floor stock sale and they happened to have the model and colour I wanted. I actually felt sick while DH made the purchase but it's here now and I am looking at it today with a growing feeling of excitement. I have my eye on a new Boori cot which I think I will order as the colour I want is out of stock and I'm watching a couple of other Boori items (change table and bookcase) on eBay.

It think it is a deeply personal decision (and of course to some degree financial) what people will end of spending and of course everyone just wants the best for their baby whatever bl00dy brand you end up with!

Lily, also wanted to wish your special little man a very Happy Birthday for the 14th (day after mine, Pisces people are pretty unique )
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 10-03-2013 at 11:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lily - thanks for the update on Ethan

starfish - my husbands birthday is also the 13th! (Mines the 6th - so agree about pisceans!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you fionalice, Marzi and lilybaby for your advice. I am starting to get my head around it now. I think I need to invest in a gro-egg. Marzi I did what you said and have hung his clothes in size order. In the drawers I have all his other clothes in size order and then by type and colour (I think I have a bit of OCD haha). I bought some MCN's online and they arrived today, oh my gosh they are so cute. I only bought a few to see if they work, has anyone tried cloth before?

lilybaby what a journey you have been on, it must have been so stressful. I really hope Ethan is feeling much better now, poor little guy.

Star - Yay the seal is broken you have your first piece of baby equipment. I understand the sick feeling though. It's only when I talk to non-IVFers that I realise the psychological effecs of IVF. I remember my sister in law asking me at 16 weeks if I had set up the nursery and I was thinking "are you crazy".
    I didn't realise thatyou were given 30% chance of conceiving due to AS - this baby is truly amazing! I'm pretty sure this will be my only child as I have to have the dreaded "H" operation in the future as it's the only way they can guarantee I won't get cervical cancer. In an ideal world I would have liked more children but I feel so grateful to be given this opportunity when I really didn't think I would be able to have any children at all. So yes, this is going to be one spoilt baby. When is your next scan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used mcns for a while .... I have since stopped ... Laziness I guess ... And DH didn't like using them found the snaps too tricky for his man hands.
    I tried lots of different types but found it tricky getting the right size ... Then he'd grow out of them ... And at the start you change their nappy so often that disposables are easier ... In retrospect If doing it again I would wait and start when he was a bit older ... But anyway ... They are cute and philosophically a brilliant choice I hope you are more committed to them than I ended up being!
    my favourites were bambooties ...
    if you have a boy check out my used clothes sale on Facebook, there are some mcns on there too!

https://www.facebook.com/MummasAddiction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Happy belated birthday Fiona Snap, my husband and I are both Pisceans and our bub (like yours) will also be a Cancerian. Hoping it's a good combo!

Summer, DH's cousin and his wife are only a couple of weeks ahead of us and bought all their baby items straight after their 12 wk scan and asked us soon after ours what we had bought But yes I also have to remind myself this is probably normal behaviour for non traumatised people!

I'm sorry to hear about the possible future hysterectomy. Have you been treated for cervical issues before? I hope you don't mind my asking, do you have any frosties you'd hoped to use (or could squeeze in beforehand?)

Next scan is on Friday at 24 wks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks fionaalice I will check out your facebook page. I am expecting that the MCNs will be harder than disposables and that I will probably end up just using disposables but I thought I would give it a whirl and see.

Starf1sh - Your line
    "I also have to remind myself this is probably normal behaviour for non traumatised people! "
    made me laugh. Someone announced their pregnancy the other day at 8 weeks and I was floored. But yes for non traumatised people I guess this is normal behaviour.
    Yep I was treated for cervical issues last year and basically told to hurry up and have children because they need to do the H operation. I do have frosties which makes it so hard. I guess things will be more clear on my next check up. To be honest I've had enough of IVF and because of my issues it's not a simple transfer, I have to have go under and they can't transfer the embryo through the cervix. My FS said it was very difficult last time. All these tough decisions I'm putting my head in the sand at the moment. Do you have frosties left over?
    Good luck for tomorrow when you get to see your little girl, keep us up to date.