+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default ice cream machines

Hi,

I am thinking of getting one. Does anybody have one? Are they worth it? Which one would you recommend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh wow I would be in heaven!!
    Subscribing out of interest!

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have the new wave one which is quite loud but very productive I think if I had my time again I'd buy the cuisinart one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We bought the cuisineart one for my SIL for Xmas and it was great, she made us some on boxing day, was very easy and very yummy, plus it was only $100! If you have a kitchen aid the Icecream attachment for that is also meant to be good , that's the one I'm going to buy soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    We bought the cuisineart one for my SIL for Xmas and it was great, she made us some on boxing day, was very easy and very yummy, plus it was only $100! If you have a kitchen aid the Icecream attachment for that is also meant to be good , that's the one I'm going to buy soon!
    The cuisnart was the one I was looking at getting. They are the ones that come in the retro colours I believe. I was just wondering whether or not it was worth it. It doesnt actually freeze the ice cream does it? Like how does it work? You put in all the ingredients and then freeze over night? Could a simple cake mixer do the same job?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The cusinart is great. I have the larger one- 2 L I think- in stainless. It was about $140. The bowl is placed in the freezer for 24 hrs before, and it does chill the ice cream to a slushie consistency, so you can eat it straight away. Then you freeze the rest to get firmer.

The nicest ice cream is a custard base, so you do make the custard before putting in the machine, which essentially just churns and chills the custard for you. They are noisy, but only need to churn for 20 min.

I love it for the different flavours you can make. I've recently made turkish delight; pistachio and cardamon; and liquorice ice creams.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No I'm pretty sure a cake mixer couldn't? You have to freeze the ice-cream bowl overnight, then pretty much make a custard ( eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla bean) and then it churns it so it gets to like a soft serve consistency and then you freeze it for a few hours and then it's ice-cream! ( you can't just make it you need to leave at least 24 hours before you want it) but it tasted great - she then made it the next night but put purée strawberries through it which was yum! If I didn't have a kitchenaid then I probably would get the cuisineart one too - it also apparently does yogurt and sorbet too!

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can recommend toblerone flavor when you get your ice-cream maker!! Yum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's it! I'm getting one! Been umming and arrrhing for a while now but I'd better get it before summer is over.
    Cant wait to try to make coconut ice cream, and pistacchio, and strawberry, and coffee, and vanilla, and turkish delight and and and.............

Thanks
    Reviews
    The ones for $40 and $200 are the same. If you have to freeze the bowl overnight or for 12 hours you shouldn't pay top dollar. But if you want to spend the top dollars there are the ones with built in condenser which you don't need to freeze inner bowl and all up you have ice cream within a hour. I've used my machine once it just sits on counter as its cheaper to buy the ice cream made than make it.