+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Paid parental leave through employer or FAO?

Does anyone know if you have to get the PPL through your employer, or if you can opt to get it directly from the FAO?? I'd just rather avoid my employer altogether if I can, specially seeing as I'm not planning on coming back and they haven't made things easy thus far! I have had a look on their website, but haven't been able to find anything that answers this....

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    pretty sure you fill out froms through Centrelink? (Im not positive as I missed out on it as had my baby in 2010)
    But, fairly sure its a government thing and not claimed through your employer.

Your employer may have some maternity leave payments that you should ensure you look into, as you dont want to miss out on any $$ that you are entitled to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When I rang centerlink they said that I can wait until the hospital gives me the forms as I am already registered with them (get FTA / B ). Otherwise you can download the form from centerlink website.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No it's all through centerlink. Like above said check to make sure ur employer doesn't give u any either as some (most gov jobs) do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am being paid through my employer, centre link pays them, then they pay me. I did not have the option to receive it straight from centrelink. It seems a little ridiculous to me, it just adds another step in the process, more likelihood of things going wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by punky View Post
    I am being paid through my employer, centre link pays them, then they pay me. I did not have the option to receive it straight from centrelink. It seems a little ridiculous to me, it just adds another step in the process, more likelihood of things going wrong.
    Yeah this is what I want to avoid if at all possible. I know I have to claim it thru centrelink, but am wondering if it is possible to avoid being paid thru my employer and getting it direct from centrelink. I'm not entitled to any other benefits from my employer unfortunately.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got direct from Centrelink - pretty sure it was on the forms the hospital gave me, whether I went thru employer or not. Both me and emoter preferred to go thru Centrelink directly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you are entitled to parental leave I.e have worked there 12 months and are still an employee, have not resigned, etc then you get paid by your employer.

If you're not entitled to the leave, or have resigned, then Centrelink pays you.

Agree it's totally inefficient and very frustrating for employers too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, I'm Marian, I work at the Department of Human Services in a team that responds to enquiries about Centrelink on social media sites like this one.

Your Parental Leave Pay must be provided to you by your employer, in your usual pay cycle, if you:
    - have a child born or adopted from 1 July 2011
    - have worked for your employer for 12 months or more prior to the expected date of birth or adoption
    - will be their employee for your Paid Parental Leave period
    - are an Australian-based employee, and
    - expect to receive at least eight weeks of Parental Leave Pay.

There's more information about Paid Parental Leave on the Human Services website here: http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/Centrelink/parental-leave-pay

Only if you don't meet this criteria is your employer not required to provide your Parental Leave Pay. However they can still choose to provide it to you, if you both agree for this to happen. If your Parental Leave Pay is not provided by your employer it will be provided by the Department of Human Services, through Centrelink.

Having employers provide government funded Parental Leave Pay to eligible long-term employees encourages employees to remain connected with the business while they're on leave. Employers are likely to retain skilled and valuable staff if they provide their employees with Parental Leave Pay.

It's important to talk to your employer about your planned leave. This factsheet has helpful information on talking to your employer about Paid Parental Leave:
    http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/publications/fpr059.htm

There is also a range of information to help employers understand what they need to do about Paid Parental Leave for their employees here:
    http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/businesses/ppl_toolkit_one.htm

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Marian, I had read that on the website....but just really wanted to know if it was possible to avoid having the PPL going via my employer? They've been less than helpful during my pregnancy, and at this point I'm not planning on coming back, tho will not be resigning until my 12 months unpaid leave is nearly finished....really just wanted to avoid having to deal with them further if I could.... Thanks