+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Not as a daily thing... I think it'd ruin their young hair and start teaching them to be paranoid about looks before they should even start caring about these things... but as an occasional thing, I don't mind.

I had gay housemates for a while, and they would bribe DD with lollies so she'd let them straighten her hair. She was 3 at the time.

I've done it once or twice too when she's asked after seeing me do mine. When I was little I was always begging my mother to curl my hair any way she could - even with rags. I see it as no different to that really...

(And I also got my hair crimped on occasion, and felt amazing... despite probably looking like a bit of a twit... lol).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't know about the nit thing. Stocking up on info for when DD starts school. Someone from bubhub also said that anti-dandruff shampoo keeps them away so I am noting that one in my brain too lol.

OP if you want to help DD not have hair that can't be managed if left alone, that would be a good reason to straighten for her. I know in america I didn't realised how much african americans had to do to their hair just to keep it from going untreatable. They comb through straightening creams into their little ones etc but not for what it looks like. I don't understand the whole process of what they have to do, but I was told that it's really important for a lot of reasons because of some types of hair.

If someone had a DD with curly hair and wanted to straighten it every day because *they* think it makes their DD more attractive, then I wouldn't be able to help but think that is really mean and sends wrong messages to their DD about what life is about. But that is only if it is purely because the Mum thinks their child *needs* straight hair every day for looks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I dunno. I think it depends.

Occasionally maybe. But if they had really curly hair and hated it and it was damaging their self esteem. Maybe even getting picked on, Yeah probably.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dont see an issue if it's not killing their hair.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    I didn't know about the nit thing. Stocking up on info for when DD starts school. Someone from bubhub also said that anti-dandruff shampoo keeps them away so I am noting that one in my brain too lol.
    that was me!! lol it works! and yeah the straightener explodes them with a satisfying little PTSSS sound lol

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lemmings For This Useful Post:

TinyLittleTootsies  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried to start a spin off thread but the app won't let me (feel free for someone on the computer to do it!)

Question about chemical straightening... Have people had success? I am so over my mid back length curly curly curly hair I'm about to cut it all off but I know I will regret that. How much was it? Did you like? Did it kill your hair? Was your hair colored as well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I straighten my girls hair on occasion, I always do if there's been a head lice incident, it's great for killing eggs. I always use thermal protection sprays. I straighten my hair alot after a new hair style, the kids just like a go, I have curly hair, there's is almost straight, just a slight wave.. I see no harm in it, so long as it's not too often

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No all the time, but every now and then, why not, provided the child doesn't mind and is willing to hold still enough to prevent burns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Homestar View Post
    that was me!! lol it works! and yeah the straightener explodes them with a satisfying little PTSSS sound lol
    I thought it was you! I just didn't want to say incase I was totally remembering that wrong lol.

You are like the nit-blaster bible! You should write a book and cash in on your discoveries lol. I am definitely trying the straightener.. especially if they make a noise while they diiiiiie

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyLittleTootsies For This Useful Post:

Lemmings  (18-01-2012),Seacretsquirrel  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElizaDoLittle View Post
    Tried to start a spin off thread but the app won't let me (feel free for someone on the computer to do it!)

Question about chemical straightening... Have people had success? I am so over my mid back length curly curly curly hair I'm about to cut it all off but I know I will regret that. How much was it? Did you like? Did it kill your hair? Was your hair colored as well?
    Can you imagine the regrowth? Yes you can straighten the regrowth, but imagine going swimming, coming out of the water with straight hair and curly regrowth, ick.

I want to get a Keratin relaxant treatment, it lasts 3-4 months and doesn't straighten, but tames it and makes it much more manageable (for me, too much chemicals for a kid).