+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default *spin off* do you think it's okay to straighten a childs hair?

Preschool/Primary aged kids.

Yes, no, why...?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not as a regular occurrence because it's not good for your hair but occasionally or for special events I think it's fine.

- I straightened and curled my 3 year old cousins hair for a dance concert
    - I curled my 9 year old cousin's hair when we had a cousin date - went to a movie, got pedicures and had lunch together

As a day to day thing, nope. I straighten my hair regularly and it's like straw now. Unfortunately, old habits die hard and I hate my natural hair.

ETA: if i have a daughter with hair like mine then when she's older I'd let her straighten her hair regularly especially if she gets teased as mercilessly as I did when I was at school for having boofy hair. Hopefully that wouldn't be until early high school at the earliest though.
    Last edited by rainbow road; 18-01-2012 at 14:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wondered this a few weeks ago before I found out the sex of my baby in case it was a girl and had unmanagable hair.
    But, I think it may cause damage while they are so young to the growth. since I started straightening my hair it doesnt grow as strong or as long as it used to.

curious to what others say/do

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Daily - No ...not only cos its bad for hair but I feel it adds pressure for kids to worry about their hair more than having fun and being a KID!
    Occasionally - Fine by me ...allow them to feel 'dressed up' or whatever.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

kriista  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD is 8 and I ghd her hair sometimes. Or curl it. Just for fun or if we are going out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Occasionally I have no problem. When I was little and staying with my grandparents in the school holidays my Nana would often curl my hair with her curling tongs. I loved it.

We also used to crimp our hair for school socials an blue light discos. Showing my age there.

I have on the odd occasion straightened my god-daughter's hair (they are currently 7 and 14) but its not a daily thing, more of a treat/special occasion thing.

Every day might be a bit much on a little girl, but once she's a teenager I guess it's up to her.

I curled, scrunched, crimped and filled my hair with all sorts of muck and hair dye when I was young and then spent years straightening it my 20s and early 30s. TBH it's still as thick and wavy as it always has been (and I do not even know what my natural hair color is, I've been dying it consistently since I was 14).

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did it for my SIL wedding on my 2.5yo, so obviously I don't have a problem with it on occasion

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tatia&shura For This Useful Post:

Bla81  (18-01-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by davally View Post
    We also used to crimp our hair for school socials an blue light discos. Showing my age there.
    Omg, I was over the moon when I got my hair crimped! Used to thing I looked soooo awesome haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Daily - No ...not only cos its bad for hair but I feel it adds pressure for kids to worry about their hair more than having fun and being a KID!
    Occasionally - Fine by me ...allow them to feel 'dressed up' or whatever.
    This! Like most others....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think it's fine - not every day & I certainly wouldn't put a hot iron in the hands of a child under say 12-13, but for something to do for fun, sure.

As discussed the other night, if little miss has daddy's hair (or SIL/MILs hair) I'm going to do my best to tell her her hair is perfect just the way it is, and she's beautiful the way she is.... And if she gets to like high schoolish and hates her hair I'll get SIL to teach her what she needs to do with it.

I'll admit when I'm straightening my hair, I've been tempted to do Jasper's for fun. Lol.

*fingers crossed* her hair is like Jaspers, or mine.