+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Should you give a heads up if you intend to use a friend of a friends baby name?

Friend of a friend has a DS that has the name that I've totally fallen in love with... do you think I should send her a message saying I hope its not weird but if I have a boy I might use the name her son has?

It's weird to even consider someone else has some sort of say but it's more a polite thing? I don't know. I might even grow out of the name, though I doubt it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i asked a friend if i could use her DD's name as both DH and i loved it, she said go ahead.
    we ended up using a different version of the name but very similar

Thanks
    Reviews
    If its unique then maybe.

If not don't bother.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For a friend of a friend i wouldn't bother.
    If it was an actual friend then absolutely i would though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    People don't own names. You don't need anyone's permission. What if she said she did mind, would you pick another name?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

3InATub  (18-01-2012),Opinionated  (18-01-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that's bit weird asking permission to use a name. Did she ask everyone she knew permission that had already named the child with the name she wanted to use.

Not to mention that a friend of a friend is a bit distant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't have thought of it except I've had someone message me asking if they can use my DD1's name for their baby. I was like 'sure, but you have to pay me royalites'. I just wanted to see if it was a done thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I too don't think people own names. If anything, I would be flattered that they like the name I chose so much!

Also, if you do ask, what would you do if they said no?? If you love it, use it!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    I had someone from my Nov 08 birth group ask if they could use one of my boys' names for their newborn son. I was touched a little that she asked, but I actually wouldn't have cared if she didn't ask- I don't OWN the name.

I think just go for it!

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did mention to dh's cousin that we were thinking of using their child's name depending on the gender of the next one. It would mean that the child would have the same first and surname as the cousins child. However, they live an hours drive away and we only see them about once per year. The children will be seperated in age by 10yrs.

They were quite flattered that we like the name so much. However I didn't ask them, I informed them that it was on our list. Had they been annoyed, it probably would have made the name go up a peg or two. Nobody owns a name.

A friend of a friend? Who cares?