+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Travel and tourism

Is there anyone here who is studying (or has studied) travel and tourism? Preferably in Melbourne/Victoria? I am very interested in finding a course but don't really have the money for an expensive one.

Any advice and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by caribbean; 29-10-2012 at 00:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Cool, thankyou. What was the study like? Was the course expensive? Was it easy to get a job?

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    SIL used to work at Flight Centre. She got the job off the bat, they provided all training, base salary of 35k and 50-75% off airline tickets and she moved her way up the ranks through promotion. Now she earns double or more that. She didn't study at all, went straight into paid work. Good luck Cassie!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm sounds great rainbow road, there is actually a Flight Center opening up soon near my dad's place (15 minute drive from me) so might see if I can get a job, did she need any experience or anything? I haven't worked in a while, I am willing to study. 50 to 75% off airline tickets sounds fantastic too

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No experience, full training provided!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Cassie, you don't know me but I have read a few of your posts so I just thought I would respond to this one. Although I now go to uni, up until 4 years ago I was a corporate travel agent, prior to that I worked for flight centre and I just really want to say don't do it! The discount travel is a bonus yes, but in reality with three little kids how often would you be able to travel.?? At flight centre the base wage was 35k the rest was early through commission meaning we were all basically competing against each other for new clients. (so very little help from co- workers) the hours were extremely long and there was a lot of extra's expected such as meetings etc that we had to saty back for. Hence why i moved to corporate as the hours were shorter. However they were still very long hours for me to be away from my kids.. Plus i was always expected to accept famils (free training holidays) that would take me away from my kids for days!! such as

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thats what I want to do, very exciting

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by caribbean; 29-10-2012 at 00:12.