+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Too much fruit?

My 12 month old son adores fruit, he has recently discovered he can reach the fruit bowl and helps himself to nectarines, peaches, plums etc. His favourite food is mandarins, he constantly requests them, and wants one after another. He generally has fruit with most meals, I was wondering if there is such thing as too much fruit for little tummies? He is a great eater and I haven't come accross anything he won't eat, so he has a varied diet, just with lots of fruit in there!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    if Ds has too much fruit (esp grapes which he LOVES) he gets a bit of diarrohea (i knew how to spell that but i forget now, time to go back to work!). i guess if he doesnt get that or tummy upsets than i guess theres no harm in it

Thanks
    Reviews
    We eat a lot of fruit too, I know that DS has had too much when his poos are so runny they come out the side of his nappy - then it's time for some cheese!
    If his poos are ok, then I think there isn't anything to worry about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has had an ongoing love affair with every kind of fruit since he started eating solids.
    We're the same as everyone else though, you can tell when he's had too much. Or sometimes his poo won't be any different, but he'll just do like, 5 in one day
    If it's not causing him any discomfort, or stomach upset, I'd say it's fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    should be fine... just keep an eye on him and watch for the runny no.2's

dd has a fructose intolerance and cannot eat fruit any more... which is a shame as she loves it... but eve since she first started solids she couldnt handle too much pear/sultanas, melons etc and they are the ones that set her off the most now!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there I would check with your dentist about his teeth (even if he is only little, might be useful to know for later). Fruit has a lot of sugar and my friends 7 year old had to have some teeth removed because of tooth decay caused by fruit. Her son never ate lollies or anything but absolutely loved fruit since he was a baby. I think from memory the dentist said watermelon and grapes were the main culprits.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found this, dnt know how much bs it is but worth a read http://drbenkim.com/articles-fruit.html

and theres quite a bit out there to read that has different ideas eg; http://www.rawpeople.com/index.php?o...477&Itemid=110

but i suppose better than him eating junk food. and by the sounds of things if he's getting a balanced diet than there shouldnt be problems. I myself wouldnt complain

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies and the links! He hasn't had any tummy upsets but now I'm freaking about his teeth! He brushes twice a day, after breaky and before bed, but obviously isn't using toothpaste. I might try and limit his intake a little!

Thanks again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My naturopath said 2 pieces of fruit a day is best for kids because of the sugar, my DS could also eat it all day so sometimes instead of more fruit I give him veggies like cucumbers and carrots or cut up cherry tomatoes or olives or low sugar fruits like apples and pears which have half the sugar of say watermelon and peaches

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted View Post
    Thanks for the replies and the links! He hasn't had any tummy upsets but now I'm freaking about his teeth! He brushes twice a day, after breaky and before bed, but obviously isn't using toothpaste. I might try and limit his intake a little!

Thanks again.

Sorry didn't mean to freak you out, it certainly freaked me and my friend out when the dentist told her it was fruit that caused the damage though