+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Medically 5hrs is a 'sleep through' apparently. My dd1 slept through from 3wks, my dd2 is 2.5 and has the occasional sleep of 8-8 and my dd3 is 14wks and doesn't sleep long, I feed all night. Every baby is different. I hate being compared to other people, I don't compare my babies to other babies.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh yeah, jasper 'slept through' aka 5 uninterrupted hours, from about 3 months. Shame it was 7pm till 12am then 2 hourly till morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My DS2 was 6 weeks old and he was sleeping through (apparently 8 hours in a row is sleeping through, but IMO 7pm-3am is NOT but I have to count it anyway).

I do think its habit, and I would say that while it probably is normal, its not a normal I would be putting up with. I'd try and break the habit by offering water and just refusing to feed through the night as I don't think a 14 mo needs to be fed through the night.

Goodluck, your DW is just doing what she feels is right but I can totally understand your frustration.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 14 month old still wakes once or twice a night for a feed, I think it's mostly for comfort though.

I'm hoping he starts dropping those feeds soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Mine slept through from the start. I don't think the milk keeps them awake, it's just their personality. You might find it's the same for many formula fed babies.

5 hours is sleeping through. Mine slept from 6pm to 8am, waking at 10, 2, 6 for a feed but by 2 weeks stopped the 2am feed, then soon after dropped the 10pm feed.
    Last edited by share a book; 18-01-2012 at 10:26.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my 20month old sleeps with us, sometimes she has a feed at night, sometimes she doesnt.
    if i need my sleep (being pregnant) ill go to the spare room, and dh will offer her water and bring her in with him (she usually just wants a cuddle, but boobies are right there too!!!)
    i slept with my mothers until i was 3.5 (when my little sister was born) but wasnt breastfed past a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I ff and my dd still wakes up 1-2 times a night for a bottle. I just follow her lead. (sorry for crashing the thread)
    Ppl keep telling me to let her CIO but as long as she's happy I'm happy

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    My 13 month DD is bf and she still wakes about 4 times during the night for a feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 15 mth old (bf and cosleeping) wakes ALOT during the night to feed. I don't know if it's actually because she's hungry or just wants the comfort. I just go with what she wants and now she is older she pulls my top down and feeds herself so I don't have to wake up! Perfect! I would like her to start sleeping more and comfort sucking less soon but am scared of offering her dh instead of me as I know we will be up all night! At the moment it works for us!! As pp have said - go with what works for your family! Dh and I have an agreement that he gets 2 nights a week in the spare room so he can have uninterrupted sleep. Dd and i actually sleep better on those nights! His job is dangerous so he has to be on the ball but when we both have to work the next morning, we're in it together!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is absolutely normal and most definitely common for toddlers to wake for a feed, and yes even multiple feeds, over night. Truth be told, I think the same goes for both bottle fed and breastfed toddlers. I just think that parents of bottle fed toddlers are more likely to enforce a weaning process (purely an observation i've made of the people I know, not based on any real fact!).

My toddlers were still waking 5+ times a night for a feed until I gently encouraged night weaning (which I only did due to pregnancy, otherwise I wouldn't have), and they were 18 and 19 months when this happened. They both, however would still wake during the night to be resettled, and sometimes this did include a bottle of milk to get back to sleep. So weaning doesn't = sleeping through